Whats the stupidest thing you've heard at gun store/range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    A friend of mine once had a guy ask "how many bullets come out of the barrel at one time?
    Come on man. If the barrel was long enough and your finger quick enough, you could have two bullets in the barrel at the same time. Plus the firing of the second bullet would supercharge the first bullet to elevated velocity!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Several people talked about "that's what they use at Camp Perry for the Nationals". I competed at the Nationals for 9 years, Service rifle Class, Match Rifle Class, PALMA and Long Range, State team and all. 95% of the time they were wrong.
    If a guy was in the service, they mostly said they were Delta company, Green berets, or some other Special forces. Some went to great lengths telling me about all the details of the secret unit they were in. ( I guess secret forces are full of blabber mouths) Amazingly, many of them could not shoot very well, that always made me wonder. I had a guy that said he didn't do anything special in the service, he just drove a water truck. I liked him immediately, and he shot really well.
    My experience with guys who were truly SF is, they don't tend make it known or make a big deal about it. If they do say something, they tend to downplay it so as to keep it 'low key'! The real guys don't brag because they don't have too...
    My wife's paternal grandfather trained at Camp Perry prior to his shipping out to visit Europe in 1943-45...
    After he passed away we found paperwork that said he had qualified 'Expert' with a Springfield 1903 bolt-action rifle in .30-06 with scope!

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Doesn’t count. This needs to go in the stupid things you SAW at a gun store/range!
    Shucks :kicks stones: I didn't SEE the moment of idiocy, but I quite clearly heard a rifle round go off BEHIND me, where nothing of the kind should take place. I'm not sure how you fail to clear a bolt action rifle, but he had a lot of **** and probably just forgot it

I did later see the nice hole in the trunk floor and the flat right rear from shrapnel (bullet probably)

ODNR range

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I was talking to one of the guys today while waiting on my NICS check. We got to talking about the ammo situation. I said it seemed like I was seeing quite a bit on the internet sites now but the cost was pretty high and gave an example of the pricing. He said yeah, they are just taking advantage of the situation. That was odd given that their prices per box were higher than if you broke down the online case price.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    My experience with guys who were truly SF is, they don't tend make it known or make a big deal about it. If they do say something, they tend to downplay it so as to keep it 'low key'! The real guys don't brag because they don't have too...
    My wife's paternal grandfather trained at Camp Perry prior to his shipping out to visit Europe in 1943-45...
    After he passed away we found paperwork that said he had qualified 'Expert' with a Springfield 1903 bolt-action rifle in .30-06 with scope!
    Most vets I know, especially those who saw combat, rarely freely discuss what went on.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    The scariest experience was when I was at Bullseye in Kokomo. Two women walked in CARRYING Glocks IN THEIR HANDS! When confronted the loud one flashed her FEMA badge and said she had the power to shut down the range for official purposes. They wanted to shoot and got full sized silhouettes.

I offered instruction and the quiet one said ok, but the loud one said she didn't. I had been shooting bullseye and my gear was still on the range. My B-2 was not a perfect target but they were all scoring black.

I got the quiet one on target and she was holding about 14 inch group at 21 ft. The loud and threatening one shot a light off the ceiling and accused me of doing it, from 5 bays over. I showed her my target and assured her I did not miss by 5 lanes. She could not hold black on the silhouette target but said that was good enough. They walked to the car with the pistols in their hands.

Crazy should not be working for the Government, and sure should not be issued a firearm.
    This is actually good news, as I see it.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I'll bet every gun shop employee in every city can relate to how many times a young twenty something girl walks in and tries to buy a pistol or some ammo that they know nothing about. Sometimes she is with a man that looks and acts shady, sometimes he waits in the car. You know that she is not buying for herself. Whatever she wants, I just tell her we are out of it or that we cannot sell it because it has been recalled by the factory, and we don't get more good ones for about 3 weeks.

I never get why these girls are willing to screw their lives up with these thug types.
    A business card with a short description of a straw purchase, and the penalties, would be handy to hand out.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I went to Bradis to try to buy an AR stripped lower with some particular features. I asked the guy at the counter and he told me "they don't make those and they never did".
    When I tried to explain what I was looking for, he cut me off and assured me that he was a part time cop, retired military, etc and that he knew good and well what he was talking about. He went on to lecture me that all ar lowers are the exact same except for the markings because they are all milspec.

Wtf? Really? I understand being ignorant. I am often ignorant. I do not understand why some folks need to be so aggressive in their ignorance.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    ok ive got 2 that stick out (from my 10 years working in a shop part time)

1- had a guy asking about a taurus judge or a smith governor, i make the comment that you can fire 45 colt 45 acp or 410 in the gov, or 45 colt or 410 in the judge, he replies "id never fire 410 in those, the pellets would bounce in the barrel and damage it!"..."i said its copper over lead or solid lead"...he said and i quote "im a machinist i know what im talking about!"

the second happened because i worked in a shop, i was at my main job, a co worker came to me and said his gun fired without him pulling the trigger, i took it apart and everything looked good to me, i asked him what happened, he said, i pulled the slide back, i tried to catch it in the air, it fell back in the barrel, and went off when the slide closed

where do i start
    1-it was a interarms firestar in 9mm, they have a closed slide, with an ejection port barely bigger than a 9mm
    2-it has a magazine disconnect safety, and yes he said the mag was out (and the disconnect was working properly (i checked it)
    3-he said his finger was off the trigger
    after all that, i said "how much had you had to drink when this happened?" he said nothing and walked away

there are more, but i'm sure you dont want to read the book i could write!

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I was in RK looking fir a box of .380, and the clerk was finishing up a handgun sale. I could not believe my ears when he told the customer “As far as carrying the pistol for protection, you don’t need a license to carry the pistol, but you do if you put bullets in it”
    Logic hasn't been in style for yrs.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The scariest experience was when I was at Bullseye in Kokomo. Two women walked in CARRYING Glocks IN THEIR HANDS! When confronted the loud one flashed her FEMA badge and said she had the power to shut down the range for official purposes. They wanted to shoot and got full sized silhouettes.

I offered instruction and the quiet one said ok, but the loud one said she didn't. I had been shooting bullseye and my gear was still on the range. My B-2 was not a perfect target but they were all scoring black.

I got the quiet one on target and she was holding about 14 inch group at 21 ft. The loud and threatening one shot a light off the ceiling and accused me of doing it, from 5 bays over. I showed her my target and assured her I did not miss by 5 lanes. She could not hold black on the silhouette target but said that was good enough. They walked to the car with the pistols in their hands.

Crazy should not be working for the Government, and sure should not be issued a firearm.
    I think I was there that day LOL

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Absolutely, it will. The key word here is reliable.
    I'm not arguing the reliability, I'd imagine there are much more capable rounds that still aren't reliable in that regard, just pointing out that it is as much user error as it is the fault of the round.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The scariest experience was when I was at Bullseye in Kokomo. ... flashed her FEMA badge and said she had the power to shut down the range for official purposes. They wanted to shoot and got full sized silhouettes.

Lulz. She doesn't have the authority to shut down anything and isn't issued a firearm. FEMA isn't law enforcement.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I went to Bradis to try to buy an AR stripped lower with some particular features. I asked the guy at the counter and he told me "they don't make those and they never did".
    When I tried to explain what I was looking for, he cut me off and assured me that he was a part time cop, retired military, etc and that he knew good and well what he was talking about. He went on to lecture me that all ar lowers are the exact same except for the markings because they are all milspec.

Wtf? Really? I understand being ignorant. I am often ignorant. I do not understand why some folks need to be so aggressive in their ignorance.

Ex-LEO or Military are the worst IMO. Especially the ones who haven't been one for years but still want to school us on whatever stupid :poop: they learned back in the day. My Dad, an ex-IPD officer who has been retired for 30+ years, was showing me safe gun handling and shot a hole in my kitchen floor. Thanks Dad, at least you reinforced safe gun handling in my mind, just not the way you had planned... :rolleyes:

Lulz. She doesn't have the authority to shut down anything and isn't issued a firearm. FEMA isn't law enforcement.

Not surprised that they would say they have that authority though.

Top Bottom