Whats the stupidest thing you've heard at gun store/range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I couldn't even begin to narrow it down.

Earlier today I went to rural king for a minute. Two old guys were at the counter and one asked to look at a small handgun for daily carry. The other one belted out, "So, you're going to start killing people?" I had a hard time not saying something, but I likely would have gotten kicked out of the store.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I couldn't even begin to narrow it down.

Earlier today I went to rural king for a minute. Two old guys were at the counter and one asked to look at a small handgun for daily carry. The other one belted out, "So, you're going to start killing people?" I had a hard time not saying something, but I likely would have gotten kicked out of the store.

Were these the guys?

And to which the guy looking should have replied: "Starting to think about it... But probably just one."

waldorf-and-statler.jpg

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Was in a gun shop/pawn shop in Wilmington, NC in the late 1980s buying a Smith 686 and the guy says "Need ammo for that 357?" I said "No I reload my ammo." His reply was "RELOADS IN A NEW GUN?"

For range silliness just recently a guy remarked how he doesn't shoot past 7 yards. Maybe 50 feet max because of liability. I was shooting at 25 yards and he said that will " get you in a lot in trouble."

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I was in a well known gun shop, they`ve just moved just down the road not long ago. I overheard a "gun clerk" "schooling" a guy about home defense. He told the gentleman that as far as a shotgun, all he would need to do should he have a break-in in his home is to rack the slide. They`ll crap themselves and then flee. I couldn`t help myself, and I interjected. I told the potential buyer that should he EVER encounter people in his home in the middle of the night and was convinced that lethal force was appropriate, to QUIETLY get his sights on the intruder and fire. Self-defense is NOT a video game, and should he announce his position by racking the slide of that shotgun, he`s only going to take fire. That shotty needs to already have a round chambered, and it should only take the safety being flicked off and squeezing the trigger to dispatch the intruder.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Heard this one day while shooting. A guy was telling everyone the history of the 50 BMG. Claimed Browning designed it to shoot down Stuka's during WWII. He was an older guy looking for company and a good story teller, I didn't have the heart to tell Browning died 1926.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Recently, had an older 'behind-the-counter person' tell me that the slingshot method was the ONLY way to properly load a semi-automatic pistol! I was looking at a new S&W 1911 and had gently pulled the slide back and depressed the slide release with my thumb (magazine was removed) in being somewhat careful with the new pistol. He then proceeded to reach over and take (aka, 'grab') the pistol out of my hand and then demonstrated the slingshot method a few times, without being careful where the muzzle was pointed, which was right at me! I simply turned, walked away, and left...and ignored him when he kept talking about 'wussy' and 'ignorant' people! He didn't justify the brain cells, nor the oxygen, for a reply! When you're arrogant, belligerent and demeaning towards customers, don't be upset when they walk away from you!

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    "A .410 with slugs is the same as a .30-06."
    A more recent series of stupid comments: "What the hell is a .25-06? The .458 SOCOM is by far the best deer round, I wish I had one."

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    An older clerk will spouting (wehen it wasnt even his conversation) "Uncle Sugar gave me all the training in Vietnam i need" while poorly demonstrating the FBI flashlight method while muzzle sweeping about everyone with finger inside thw trigger Guard (not that it matters it was a 1911 but).

Just chuckled said well your sure proving it with a 50 year old technique and sweeping everyone. And left

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Was in a shop in the peoples republic of South Bend looking at a S&W revolver a few years ago. I told the gun clerk I was left handed and usually kept to semi-auto but like revolvers. He let me know they could "special order" the same S&W in a left handed model but I'd need to pay for it prior to the order..... Thanked him and left.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    At PB north yesterday and two old guys were looking at small caliber handguns. The clerk advised that there was no smaller Smith than the EZ in that caliber. One of the olds guys pulls out his loaded pistol right in front of the clerk to prove him wrong. I immediately headed for the door.

Top Bottom