Whats the stupidest thing you've heard at gun store/range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Anyone who talks about Glocks as if they were trash. As if over 50% of law enforcement agencies and many military units haven't the slightest clue as to what they are doing. Not saying they are the best out there, but hard to beat for reliability and ruggedness.
    Don’t mind the haters, they gonna hate.

Originally from Salem?

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Anothe Point Blank Range Merrillville...

I was looking at a used revolver, checking the timing and lock up. The kid says you should never dry fire an older revolver. I guess it cant take that but can take the power of a live round...?
    I think there is some merit to this, but I'm not an expert. Esp in rimfire.

Hulberr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Angola
    Several years ago while looking at a used 1911 pistol the 20+ something guy behind the counter informed me to NEVER use the slide release to drop the slide on an empty chamber. I took the bait and asked why, his responce, because it will damage the sear and make it go full automatic. I politly informed him that that exact action was part of the Manual of Arms for the M1911 pistol.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Several years ago while looking at a used 1911 pistol the 20+ something guy behind the counter informed me to NEVER use the slide release to drop the slide on an empty chamber. I took the bait and asked why, his responce, because it will damage the sear and make it go full automatic. I politly informed him that that exact action was part of the Manual of Arms for the M1911 pistol.

Cue to 1:01. I'll believe these guys. Just because we did things with the rattle trap 1911's in the service doesn't mean you should do it to modern privately sold ones:nono:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Cue to 1:01. I'll believe these guys. Just because we did things with the rattle trap 1911's in the service doesn't mean you should do it to modern privately sold ones:nono:

I generally "slingshot" the slide if it's locked back, as opposed to using the slide release. Wouldn't that be just as harmful? I don't ride the slide (but I haven't watched the video yet, so I don't know if they advocate that or not). Just thinking out loud.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The gun is designed for an explosion to drive the slide back.
    If your weak hands can damage the gun doing that, then it wouldn't hold up to being fired.

This is different than slamming the cylinder open/shut on a revolver.
    The cylinder "slam" has nothing to do with the action of the gun when firing.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I generally "slingshot" the slide if it's locked back, as opposed to using the slide release. Wouldn't that be just as harmful? I don't ride the slide (but I haven't watched the video yet, so I don't know if they advocate that or not). Just thinking out loud.
    Yes. On a 1911 I believe it is recommended to ride the slide down on an empty chamber.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    It seems to be the same to me (if not worse since it's slightly farther back and the spring is slightly more compressed). Their argument is that it's when the slide comes forward. I don't see how the slide stop affects the sear in a way that slightshotting the slide doesn't.

Yes. On a 1911 I believe it is recommended to ride the slide down on an empty chamber.
    That's at least consistent. But in the video at 4:39/4:40 he doesn't seem to really ride the slide home to me. Still hear it slap into battery. :dunno:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    There is a whole spectrum of types of people, from the cavemen that slam everything they touch to the safety ninnies that memorize all the california product warnings. Reality is probably somewhere in the middle - the truth is out there...

It would be good if a gun would function right for everybody.

Top Bottom