• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    How do you do this? Mine is 12 yolks, 12 whites, a pound of powdered sugar, half a gallon of whipping cream whipped. And two cups of a brandy, bourbon, and rum blended, with a another two cups to add for those that want a stronger flavor. Mmmmmm
    My Dad's recipe that's been used for at least 50 years

3232411154064346441(1).jpg
    And 1 for Irish Creme as well

2906800660020664134.jpg

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Speaking of vanilla, picked up another 16 oz pure vanilla for $11.99 at Costco. Just a few years ago Costco had it at $40. Fortunately I had stocked up and never had to pay those prices, but now is stock up time again.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'll be whipping up some Bambi-Q as soon as I get out of the woods.
    Took a small doe yesterday and she still needs put in the freezer.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    We did turkey last weekend with my mom.

Today we are doing Beef Short Ribs, roast carrots, mashed potatoes. I have a slice of turtle pie for after. My wife has a slice of cheesecake.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My Dad's recipe that's been used for at least 50 years

View attachment 238536
    And 1 for Irish Creme as well
    Wait - 72 eggs?!
    Holy jeebers!

I make mine with a dozen yolks (use the whites for angel food cake), 3 cups of booze (your choice), 3 pints of dairy*, and a pound of sugar.

* One pint each of whole milk, half and half, and heavy cream.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So many tell me they do not like egg nog but they have only had that crap from the store, most folks have never had real homemade egg nog. It is a heavenly dessert…
    Store bought is like nasty loogies.

Homemade, well aged eggnog... ambrosia!

I usually make a batch at Easter, and it's ready for consumption about now.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I was kinda interested when you guys started talking about making your own eggnog. But after seeing the ingredients, it doesn't sound so good anymore.

Does it really take a full pound of sugar to make a batch? I maybe only use a lb. of sugar in a year for everything.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    So many tell me they do not like egg nog but they have only had that crap from the store, most folks have never had real homemade egg nog. It is a heavenly dessert…
    Aged? Have not heard of that? The alcohol preserves the eggs and cream? How is it aged? Refrigerated?
    Yes to all. I starting making egg nog in 2016 and only have a pint left. IMO after a year it doesn't change as much but just the thought of drinking an aged milk product is fun. Latest recipe I use 64 oz to blend in the Ninja and fill a Growler after it settles.

Tims Growler Nog :)
    12 egg yolks, 3/4C sugar (I use combo of cane and brown)
    32oz whole milk, 16 oz cream, 8 oz whiskey/bourbon, 8 oz rum
    half tsp each of cardamon, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt plus 3 ground whole cloves

I don't use any flavored rums or whiskey because it doesn't taste right to me. I did experiment with this last batch and added some Cardinal Spirits Songbird coffee liqueur that seemed to round out the booze profile. I've used Cognac before and want to incorporate that into a future batch of this recipe.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I was kinda interested when you guys started talking about making your own eggnog. But after seeing the ingredients, it doesn't sound so good anymore.

Does it really take a full pound of sugar to make a batch? I maybe only use a lb. of sugar in a year for everything.
    It takes perspective on an odd measurement, it is unusual to express it in pounds, that is about two cups in near a gallon of liquid.

Back to perspective, the typical sweet tea has a pound or two cups of sugar in a gallon.

Before sweet tea was common in the north I would put 4-6 packets of sugar in a big glass of tea. Friends would joke about tea with my sugar. A can of coke has the equivalent of 7 packets of sugar and no one thinks that remarkable…

Top Bottom