Whats a fair price for a 54 caliber percussion T/C Hawken and availability of caps and BP

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Not made up my mind 100% but I've ALWAYS wanted a T/C Hawken and my rifle club has a privative ML chapter that has a shoot 1x a month and was thinking about buying a T/C percussion in 54 cal as my research found the 54 cal has a slight edge over the 50. Was wondering currently what's a fair price for a new or used T/C 54 cal Hawken in VG-EX shape?

Secondly is there any place you can buy black powder and #11 percussion caps from these days?
    Lastly can you convert a T/C Hawken to use four winged musket caps as I have found musket in stock at several places.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    Not made up my mind 100% but I've ALWAYS wanted a T/C Hawken and my rifle club has a privative ML chapter that has a shoot 1x a month and was thinking about buying a T/C percussion in 54 cal as my research found the 54 cal has a slight edge over the 50. Was wondering currently what's a fair price for a new or used T/C 54 cal Hawken in VG-EX shape?

Secondly is there any place you can buy black powder and #11 percussion caps from these days?
    Lastly can you convert a T/C Hawken to use four winged musket caps as I have found musket in stock at several places.

I see TC Hawkens on GB at various prices and most regular auctions that have guns usually have one in Southern Indiana.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    I switched my Caplocks to musket caps because they throw more flame(not hotter, you have to go to 209's for hotter) and simply because they are MUCH easier for these old fingers to waller around.
    YMMV

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I switched my Caplocks to musket caps because they throw more flame(not hotter, you have to go to 209's for hotter) and simply because they are MUCH easier for these old fingers to waller around.
    YMMV
    This
    All that's needed to convert to musket caps is to change the nipple.
    I prefer musket caps over #11's mainly because they seem to supply a little more consistent ignition.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    I'm just not nimble enough with these old arthritic fingers... in completion pistols I still use #11's, with the help of a capper.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Thanks for all the replies.
    The fact I can easily convert to musket caps is a huge help. Will likely buy am side hammer now.

rhslover

Marksman
    Mar 6, 2012
    If you're not attached to the shiny brass decorations on the Hawken you can also get a renegade. Same gun, just with steel fittings. I've got one with a green mountain long range .54 barrel. Taken many deer with it.

djeinpoco

Plinker
    Feb 5, 2021
    Michiana Shores
    Get the .50 caliber. Components much more readily available than

The .54s have more stopping power all else equal, but there are a lot more choices of projectiles and accessories for 50.

mlockhart

Plinker
    Jul 13, 2008
    Noblesville IN
    Cast your own bullets for the 54 and the availability of components is no big deal. I have a T/C White Mountain hunter. It’s an accurate thumper. I’ve never regretted that purchase.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom