• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It seems to me we’ve gone from addressing issues with legit medical causes and impacts to addressing those that would surely kill us, given enough time (maybe) but not if we spent enough money and gave up enough of our standard of living. We could run tests to determine eating lead paint chips caused harm. When those issues got resolved, it was on to supposedly bigger and more dire issues because do gooders, once they’ve found a way to make money doing good, still have car payments to make and 2nd homes to buy. We moved from things we could prove to things we could only model and predict. Al Gore showed us the way on this one. He became fabulously wealthy doing it.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    When the crisis is so overwhelming that Government is the only possible answer you can bet public safety is not the agenda BUT the big three are involved, Power, Money and Control. Anyone that believes our overseers care if half of us live or die is living in a fantasy world. Some of us will always be needed for paying taxes and the menial tasks that are beneath those in power.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That's like asking "what happened to all that hubbub over lead exposure, did the science change?" No. We quit using lead paint, putting lead in gasoline, lead in our pipes, and now people in the US generally don't suffer from lead exposure. Similarly, regulations changed in the developed western world, the root cause was addressed, the problem was fixed...for us. China still has an issue and the acidification of their soil is causing them concern about their own food security.

But hey, suck down a nice lead slurry if you like...you know you have your eye on one. Don't let big media or settled science dissuade you. Just another plot from the man. :D

From a technical position the argument on lead comes up short. Lead was phased out of gas to enable the use of catalytic converters. Lead chromate is still used in paints, in yellow traffic paint it is mandated by the government, but I'll give you the elimination of white lead in house paint, where children might have been eating the flaking chips. While there are still lead pipes around and solder is still used on copper piping, I always want to see the numbers. Environmental restrictions have a habit of chasing detection technology and what was considered "safe" in the 80s where detection was 50 PPM is now considered "bad" at 50 PPB. I need to see numbers and studies that back up info where the levels are reduced by orders of magnitudes, but they are rarely made. I could probably find gold in your back yard at 50 PPB, but you won't get rich.

My entire life has been devoted to the chemical industry and as my career winds down much has changed, some for sound reasons, some for not.

I'll cast some bullets today while I ponder this.;)

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    From a technical position the argument on lead comes up short. Lead was phased out of gas to enable the use of catalytic converters. Lead chromate is still used in paints, in yellow traffic paint it is mandated by the government, but I'll give you the elimination of white lead in house paint, where children might have been eating the flaking chips. While there are still lead pipes around and solder is still used on copper piping, I always want to see the numbers. Environmental restrictions have a habit of chasing detection technology and what was considered "safe" in the 80s where detection was 50 PPM is now considered "bad" at 50 PPB. I need to see numbers and studies that back up info where the levels are reduced by orders of magnitudes, but they are rarely made. I could probably find gold in your back yard at 50 PPB, but you won't get rich.

My entire life has been devoted to the chemical industry and as my career winds down much has changed, some for sound reasons, some for not.

I'll cast some bullets today while I ponder this.;)
    Incidentally, and not really strictly related to the thread, we have a liberal relative who believes the reduction of lead usage and "abortion" (:n00b: ) are responsible for the decline in per capita violent crime since the 1990s crime bill and increased "three-strikes" incarceration.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Incidentally, and not really strictly related to the thread, we have a liberal relative who believes the reduction of lead usage and "abortion" (:n00b: ) are responsible for the decline in per capita violent crime since the 1990s crime bill and increased "three-strikes" incarceration.

It's still a free country and people are entitled to believe what they want. Some say that all cops are jack booted thugs and we should defund the police, in my opinion the numbers don't support this and neither does my personal experience with the police. People also say that the proliferation of guns is the root cause of violence in this country.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    That's like asking "what happened to all that hubbub over lead exposure, did the science change?" No. We quit using lead paint, putting lead in gasoline, lead in our pipes, and now people in the US generally don't suffer from lead exposure. Similarly, regulations changed in the developed western world, the root cause was addressed, the problem was fixed...for us. China still has an issue and the acidification of their soil is causing them concern about their own food security.

But hey, suck down a nice lead slurry if you like...you know you have your eye on one. Don't let big media or settled science dissuade you. Just another plot from the man. :D
    If anyone wants to acidify my pH 7.8 soil, I'm ready to discuss terms.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I'm not entirely unconvinced by the abortion argument. The general thesis is women who have abortions tend toward the lower economic/addiction issue/poor social support end of the scale in terms of both family and neighborhood dynamics and the same demographic leads to more children becoming criminals later in life. I don't know enough to say I believe it one way or another, but it seems plausible at face value that if fewer children are born into the demographic most likely to become criminals as adults leads to lower crime rates twenty years later.

Surely there are multiple causes and effects, and one being true doesn't discount the effect of other anti-crime measures. Segregating career criminals from the rest of us is very hard to argue against as a method of reducing overall crime. They can both be true, just 3 strikes probably having a more significant impact.

Top Bottom