What tool is right for this zippo project?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Hopefully this is the right place for this topic. Im trying to restore my grandfathers lighter from the 50's its a wellington, looks identical to a zippo. Im sure most of you know the basics of a zippo. I pulled out the old insert with some pliers (insert reads zippo but possibly a knockoff) I threw in a new zippo insert and it was stuck. super stuck, i ended up having to cut the top of the insert and collapsing the insert's walls onto themselves to get it out after hours of trying to pull it out. So in this process the bench vise i had it in dented the case a bit. the normally rounded sides are more flat. Im trying to figure out what tool i can use to fit inside the case and expand the walls so i can get the original insert back in once i get it cleaned up. In my mind im picturing something thats a reverse plier (probably needle nose to fit inside the case) so i can put pressure on the inside pushing out. Maybe theres a better way im not thinking of? I know a ton of you guys are well versed in fixing things so im hoping maybe someone knows or has an idea and can recommend what i should be looking for to fix this. Thank you for your help!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hopefully this is the right place for this topic. Im trying to restore my grandfathers lighter from the 50's its a wellington, looks identical to a zippo. Im sure most of you know the basics of a zippo. I pulled out the old insert with some pliers (insert reads zippo but possibly a knockoff) I threw in a new zippo insert and it was stuck. super stuck, i ended up having to cut the top of the insert and collapsing the insert's walls onto themselves to get it out after hours of trying to pull it out. So in this process the bench vise i had it in dented the case a bit. the normally rounded sides are more flat. Im trying to figure out what tool i can use to fit inside the case and expand the walls so i can get the original insert back in once i get it cleaned up. In my mind im picturing something thats a reverse plier (probably needle nose to fit inside the case) so i can put pressure on the inside pushing out. Maybe theres a better way im not thinking of? I know a ton of you guys are well versed in fixing things so im hoping maybe someone knows or has an idea and can recommend what i should be looking for to fix this. Thank you for your help!
    Pics.

But from this description you will have to make something up to fit this project.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    sorry about not getting back sooner. Upon further inspection the "crimp" at the bottom seems to be the biggest factor in getting the insert back in.

Attachments

• tempImageo55oV6.png
      tempImageo55oV6.png
      12.1 MB · Views: 12
    • tempImageZFbYXJ.png
      tempImageZFbYXJ.png
      9.2 MB · Views: 12
    • tempImageLl0A86.png
      tempImageLl0A86.png
      13.2 MB · Views: 10
    • tempImageoFQ5nO.png
      tempImageoFQ5nO.png
      8 MB · Views: 12

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Try cutting 2 pieces of steel about .093 thick the same side as the inside of the case. Make sure edges are rounded and everything. Then use wood door shims to spread them out. You'll have to play with sizes but this might do it.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    What'd you come up with?
    It got put on the back burner with work. I think the game plan is going to be to cut a piece of wood to size and hammer it in. I watched a guy on youtube do this for a dented zippo although he applied heat which is something i dont want to do because the paint in the emblem will be damaged. I dont have wood working tools so ill have to find a buddy who'll let me use theirs.

for anyone looking for some cool videos on youtube, i recommend awesome restorations.

Top Bottom