What to spend a Dick's Sporting Goods gift card on?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yeti does have their own molds as their name is molded on the bottom and the bottom of the lid.
    Maybe, maybe not. I haven't done rotomolding but have done injection molding. Some of the products we made had trademarks/names on them, but the trademark holder didn't own the mold. The injection molding company did, and if they modified the mold to remove them they could use it for any other company they wished. There was one product that they made that they couldn't do that with, but that's because the shape itself was trademarked, but the mold was still owned by the injection molding company. They wouldn't use molds that weren't owned by them, job security was a good part of that.

Kinda like aluminum cans, the machines that put the top on are not owned by the company that fills them with their product. They are owned by the company that makes the cans. At least that is the case with one of the largest can manufactures in the world. They lease and service them for a nominal fee, it keeps the companies buying their cans.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Buy a good kid something they need/want and may not otherwise have much of a chance to get for Christmas.
    This is the winner, right here!
    Great idea!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Maybe, maybe not. I haven't done rotomolding but have done injection molding. Some of the products we made had trademarks/names on them, but the trademark holder didn't own the mold. The injection molding company did, and if they modified the mold to remove them they could use it for any other company they wished. There was one product that they made that they couldn't do that with, but that's because the shape itself was trademarked, but the mold was still owned by the injection molding company. They wouldn't use molds that weren't owned by them, job security was a good part of that.

Kinda like aluminum cans, the machines that put the top on are not owned by the company that fills them with their product. They are owned by the company that makes the cans. At least that is the case with one of the largest can manufactures in the world. They lease and service them for a nominal fee, it keeps the companies buying their cans.
    I believe that using similar molds is the crux of several of the lawsuits Yeti filed that have been settled or litigated. The shape and form is trade dress.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I believe that using similar molds is the crux of several of the lawsuits Yeti filed that have been settled or litigated. The shape and form is trade dress.
    Shape? The vast majority of coolers I've seen from childhood to now have been square/rectangular. If you can find a link to one of them I'd be interested in reading it.

The product I mentioned was a air freshener dispenser, I believe glade. It was almost clam shell shaped with a flat base and took a cartridge that looked identical to this one. Only one I've ever seen with that shape or a similar one. IIRC the top was smooth and the bottom of it had "waves". It was very distinctive. For the first month or so I hated them, QC had to test so many and all we had were scented cartridges. They were quite strong I think they were advertised as "one touch", as in one press would scent an entire good size room. After just a few sprays the whole factory would stink. Then we finally got some with just propellant and alcohol ones to use. They weren't around very long and I can't even find any pictures of them. They were made somewhere around the early to mid 90s.

Z0q58vncpIx_.JPG

paintball_addiction

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    180   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    SW of Indy
    If you travel out of state at all, you could use the gift card up at a Field & Stream store which is owned by Dick's. They carry guns, ammo, and reloading supplies. There is one in Champaign, Illinois and a few in Ohio if you ever go to those areas.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

I confirmed that Dick's still sucks, so no need for you folks to go check it out. :n00b: Black Friday and hardly anything on sale, short of some shoes that were stupidly high priced to start with and the occasional clearance tag on junk.

That said, the staff was nice enough and helpful, where they could be. Not much to work with for them. The store was relatively empty of shoppers, certainly not any with wallet in hand. Some gawkers, but no wait at the register like I remember from years back, before the 2A boycott. I treated the staff as nicely as they treated me, thanking all of them for being there.

I treated my gift card like the gift it was and bought something I wouldn't have. Went and found the Mountain House meals and started picking out what I wanted, Then ran into a backpacking stove I didn't have. :rolleyes: It was cheaper online (as was everything else there,) but I decided I could waste another hour hunting for a better deal I wasn't likely to find. or just cut my losses. I went ahead and bought a MSR Pocket Rocket 2 and can of fuel. $14 out of my pocket to go with the $50 gift card.

20221125_153557.jpg 20221125_160814.jpg 20221125_155304.jpg 20221125_160953.jpg

The beginning of the rest stop parking lot coffee machine, that I've been needing to build for years. Now to find where I put that Aeropress...

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I had not been to a Dicks for several years.

Buddy wanted me to help spot him on sighting a rifle...said he had no "sighting targets". Told him I would find someplace to get some.

Went into a Dicks....not one single thing in that whole place to do with shooting sports. Place is nothing more than a fashion store these days.

Made my own targets and got him zeroed at 200.

Top Bottom