• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I see a lot of comments on FFL transfers and I am trying to understand why there, so often, is such a disconnect between those that need the service and those that provide it.

What should it cost to get a transfer done? What do you base this on?

What is involved in providing the service? What equipment is needed? Is a physical location needed? What are the costs of performing a transfer? How much time does it take to complete a transfer?

Is it fair to buy a gun online cheaper than your LGS can sell for and expect the LGS to do the transfer?

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I see a lot of comments on FFL transfers and I am trying to understand why there, so often, is such a disconnect between those that need the service and those that provide it.

What is involved in providing the service? What equipment is needed? Is a physical location needed? What are the costs of performing a transfer?

Is it fair to buy a gun online cheaper than your LGS can sell for and expect the LGS to do the transfer?
    Trying to codify a personal service to an online buyer will be difficult.

First, you need a RELATIONSHIP to do it right.
    If you have established that relationship then get permission.

Second, be responsible for your choices. If you choose to buy something online, then own it. I have seen crybabies that when they go in to pickup said online purchase, they look it over as if they have not yet bought it. I have seen the ill informed buyer actually blame Mr Dealer for things that didn’t suit him on his purchase.

Thirdly, don’t make it inconvenient for the dealer. If he has floor customers, allow them the courtesy of shopping and wait or agree to a softer time to do the transaction.

Fourthly, make sure you can pass NICS. That again, is Your responsibility, not the dealers.

Finally, look around and buy some ammo or accessories from the store.

If one can not appreciate the brick and mortar business then get your own FFL.

So what is reasonable? At a minimum I can’t see anything less than $25. I have however seen $75 published. There are some customers, that I wouldn’t do a transfer for no amount of money.

What I do not like in a dealer if I do my part as listed, is to receive the package, pass it all around the shop for the gun groupies to paw over it. Steal or replace parts and equipment or wait days to log it into their books delaying when you can pick up said piece. I have had all this happen at least once. It of course was the end of that relationship.

Hope this helps.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    $25 seems to be what I paid, 2 different places, one a few months ago. Put the seller in contact with the receiver and they exchange the needed data. Still need to fill out the legal forms when you pick up the firearm.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

What is involved in providing the service? What equipment is needed? Is a physical location needed? What are the costs of performing a transfer? How much time does it take to complete a transfer?

I base what it should cost on what the FFLs in my area charge. Like anything I pick the one that is what I am willing to pay from someplace I am willing to travel to.

The transfers I have done all took maybe 10 minutes, out of the hour or so I sat around talking to the guy doing the transfer.

I would never expect them to do anything.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I pretty much agree with all Trapper Jim stated (weird:dunno:). I most always use the one or two dealers locally that basically don't sell guns but just do transfers and sell some accessories and ammo. Example: Top Shot in Evansville has a storefront but no real inventory. They do transfers for most common online retailers and also make weekly runs to Whittaker Guns in Ky. that btw is a cool service. Go to Whittakers, find and purchase a handgun, pick it up in E'ville. What i don't like is there is no discount for multiple guns on one form.

I do understand dealers being miffed when they are asked to transfer an online purchase of something they stock. However, if I special order something weird they should not complain.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    $20 is fare to me. I used to prefer $15 but it’s hard to find now. I will forever avoid shops that charge me full price per item when all items go with the single background check. $20 and $5 per each extra is fair.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I do understand dealers being miffed when they are asked to transfer an online purchase of something they stock. However, if I special order something weird they should not complain.
    I pretty much never had an issue with a customer wanting me to do a transfer for an online purchase, even if it was a gun we had in stock.

I always viewed it as somebody giving me $20-25 for 10 minutes of work, and if they didn’t buy the one I had, the next guy probably will.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    No FFL is "required " to provide transfers for you. They may choose do it as compensated service. You should ask them before doing a transfer. Some can be understandably irritated if they have the item in shop or give them a chance to order it for you.

I use an FFL that charges not much and give him $10 over because he is friendly and I like the conversations with him.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    $20 here in town. Seems fair enough tome. They probably have 10 minutes in my pick up. I assume another 10 minutes receiving it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We have fleshed out what you guys believe it should cost, now what exactly does the FFL have to provide? I do not believe for a minute that it just takes 10 total minutes to do a transfer. What is involved in providing the service? What equipment is needed? Is a physical location needed? What are the costs of performing a transfer? How much time does it take to complete a transfer?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My local store has 2 computers that the customer types in the information for the 4473. That information goes to their computer where they then transmit the information for the NICS check. The response seems to come back in just a couple minutes.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    My local store has 2 computers that the customer types in the information for the 4473. That information goes to their computer where they then transmit the information for the NICS check. The response seems to come back in just a couple minutes.
    Same here. Matt runs his out of his garage.

Top Bottom