• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Fascinating presentation. It will inspire me to keep my AR cleaned and ready at all times. I got angrier and angrier as you described the wishy washy response from police leadership.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I didn't see this on any news at the time but the American Rifleman carried a story about neighbors getting together and blocking off their streets and manning the barracades with firearms. There were instances where suspicious vehicles stopped, surveyed the scene and decided it wouldn't be a good idea to try anything there. The cops just weren't around. Also, the BGs probably knew that Joe Homeowner would be jumpy and probably shoot first.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Unfortunately, I feel that there are several large cities that are overripe for riots of this magnitude. All need to be prepared for a safe route thru these cities and a safe place to ride out the storm until order is restored. Skyrocketing prices for human basic necessities, fuel, food and the impending utility price gouges will do nothing to calm the impending storm. I'm relatively safe but worry about my adult children who like most of their generation seem oblivious to the perils of the modern world.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Postscript

Biography of the above article author

RICHARD VALDEMAR

Bio: Richard Valdemar retired from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department in 2004. For most of his 33 years with the LASD he was involved in combating L.A. Gangs. For the last 20 years he was assigned to the Detective Division, Major Crimes Bureau. In 1977-78 he was assigned to the DEA and later to the U.S. Marshals, in the “Doc Holiday - Ray Ray Browning” federal drug conspiracy case. For more than 10 years he was part of the Federal Metropolitan Gang Task Force, cross designated as an FBI agent. Since 1985 he was a member of the California (Prison) Gang Task Force. He was the “gang expert” in the RICO prosecution of the Mexican Mafia in 1995 and the RICO of 1999 as well.

Before joining the LASD in 1970, he served three years as a Military Policeman with tours in Vietnam and Fort Huachuca Arizona. Prior to completing the LASD Academy, he was assigned to Intelligence and worked undercover infiltrating the Brown Berets and the Revolutionary Communist Party. After completing the Academy, he served four years in Custody Division where he first was exposed to working prison gangs. His past experience also includes patrol and gang suppression assignments in East Los Angeles, and his home town, Compton, California. Richard Valdemar’s prior experience includes being selected in 1978 as one of the original twelve founding Deputies to form the Sheriff’s Department‘s “Operation Safe Streets” anti-gang unit. He received anti-terrorist training in 1984 for the Olympics from the U. S. Secret Service and Department of Transportation and was the Detective Division’s Terrorist Liaison Officer when he retired.

Richard Valdemar is an internationally known expert in both traditional and non-traditional gangs. He has been a regular law enforcement trainer and instructor for the LASD Advanced Officers Gang School, California Gang Investigator’s Association, California District Attorney’s Association, California Narcotics Officers Association, the California Peace Officer’s Standards and Training organization (POST), the Los Angeles Municipal, and Superior Court Judges Associations, and numerous other agencies, colleges, and civic organizations throughout this country and in Canada. He has also been an instructor for the National Correctional Institute, and the National District Attorney’s Association. Richard Valdemar has given expert testimony before the California Senate Hearing Committee, the County and the Federal Grand Jury, and in numerous Federal, Superior and Municipal Court proceedings, including capital cases, in Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Orange County, Ventura, Contra Costa, Sacramento and San Diego Counties He has been an Instructor and a Host for TREXPO for many years.

Richard Valdemar has been a consultant for the college textbooks, “Barrio Gangs” by Dr. James Diego Vigil, and “Gangs – A Guide to Understanding Street Gangs” by Dr. Al Valdez. He wrote an article for the February 2006 issue of Police Magazine entitled “Murder Ink”. He is a character in the novel “The Murder Children” by John Ball, and a quoted consultant in Colorado Congressman Tom Tancredo’s current book, “In Mortal Danger.”

He has been featured in training broadcasts on the National Law Enforcement Network, “History of Hispanic Gangs”, and in 2005 completed training videos for the California Department of Corrections and the California Peace Officers Standards and Training, “Gangs the Hidden Threat”. He provided technical assistance and supervised the real Hispanic and African-American gang members used in the Michael Jackson music video “Beat It”. He was a technical advisor for the movies “Drug Wars – The Kiki Camerena Story” and “A Man Apart” staring Vin Diesel and Lorenz Tate. In 2006 he was featured on the History Channel for segments on “Military Policemen in Combat” and the “History of the Aryan Brotherhood” prison gang. He was also featured on Fox News Channel national broadcast “American Gangs: Ties To Terror?” with Newt Gingrich, and segments for MSNBC Scarborugh Country and Fox News Hannity & Colmes on the subjects of “Gangs in the Military” and “Gangs and Illegal Immigration”. Richard Valdemar can also be seen on 32 cable networks and on the net in several programs on the news program “Full Disclosure” ww.fulldisclosure.net.

Richard is currently working on books about the early days of the OSS gang unit, Terrorism, Police Gang Training, and on several motion picture projects. He is an active volunteer in several civic and police organizations and continues to pursue activities to benefit Law Enforcement and the American people.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Wow, thanks for sharing. I knew they were bad, I knew they were well organized riots, but damn.

Just Visiting

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2008
    Excellent write-up!

Happy retirement and thank you for your many years of service to the community.
    :cheers:

Last edited:

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    The LA riot was something of a wake up call for me. I was only 22 at the time and stationed at Ft. Polk, La. I remember wondering what the reaction of black soldiers would be. They were dismayed, but no one really talked about it, we didn't want to start any racial tensions amongst us.

Being only 22, race riots were something for the history books for me, but seeing people attack other people for having the wrong skin color taught me just how fast things can go south. Ever since then I have maintained several rifles with several hundred rounds apiece, along with an SKS with at least 1000 rounds. Be it another Rodney King or a natural disaster, my family won't have to worry about cowering helpless as mobs roam the streets looking for blood.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Interesting read.
    I am sure a LOT of things happened in the riot that we were never told about.

I am also sure I read very little on the internet without taking it with a grain of salt, no matter who authored it. A couple of the incidents and facts sound a bit "iffy" to me, but it is just a gut feeling of course; I have no "proof" one way or another.

Still, I enjoyed reading it.

Thanks for the posting!!

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I didn't see this on any news at the time but the American Rifleman carried a story about neighbors getting together and blocking off their streets and manning the barracades with firearms. There were instances where suspicious vehicles stopped, surveyed the scene and decided it wouldn't be a good idea to try anything there. The cops just weren't around. Also, the BGs probably knew that Joe Homeowner would be jumpy and probably shoot first.

I remember going home from college back to Orange County (the county just south of LA County). Everyone, I mean EVERYONE was trying to get their hands on any type of firearm they could. You could see the smoke from the fires a hundred miles away. Watching society break down up close like that forever changed me.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom