What Optic Does Your Big Game Hunting Rifle Use?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What power optic do you have on your hunting rifle?

• 1-6x Range

Votes: 3 9.4%
    • 2-10x Range

Votes: 10 31.3%
    • 3-12x Range

Votes: 6 18.8%
    • 4-16x Range

Votes: 10 31.3%
    • Other

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    An older Weaver 2.5 x 7 x 28 sits atop my Winchester model 70 in .300 WinMag. I've not taken anything other than a couple groundhogs with it

I got when I married my wife, it was her late dad's rifle and only had 3 shots fired through it. I have planned on using it for whitetail but think it is a bit too much for hunting in NE Indiana

bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    Interestingly an optic I was heavily considering was the S&B Klassik 6x42. I have somewhat a romantic notion of fixed power optics on hunting rifles. Just something elegant about the simplicity.

That said, in addition to hunting here, a good friend's family owns quite a bit of land at the base of the Beartooth mountains in Wyoming. I'd love to get out there and do some deer and maybe even sheep hunting. I figured a little more magnification, as well as a reticle with stadia for wind/elevation holds would likely be a worthwhile investment.

How'd the groundhogs fare against the 300 WM?

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    For most hunting east of the Mississippi a 2-10, 3-9, 4-16 at the high end, go west youngman and the 2-10, 4-16 really help when your at 400 yards. That's a hot round the 240 wby, but a good killer for medium game.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Though not a "big game" hunter, I have a 7mm Mauser, and a .303 British. Both have been known to drop big game all over the globe for the last 100 years. I placed the one (and only so far) vote for the 1-6. Even though neither have that, it's the closest on the list.

The 7mm Mauser is a Remington 700 Classic, and is topped with a PA 1-8 scope. Probably my single best do it all rifle that's not a fighting gun. (though it probably could serve as one)

7mm Mauser on Princess rock.png

The .303 is a No 1 Mk IV with a Sig Romeo 5 on it. I can't see out as far as I can with the Remington, but with 180 gr soft points, and the fast Lee Enfield action, I'd feel good about taking anything in North America with it... provided I was close enough to see it through the red dot.

1 A Lee Enfield Battle Rifle on princess rock.JPG

Side note. We had a raffle gun some time ago at the VFW... A Marlin 1895GBL that also had a red dot, but if I remember, that one was a Holosun... 45-70 Marlin 1895GBL with red dot.JPG

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I have a 6-24x50 on my 6.5 Creedmoor. Probably overkill for hunting but I also like to punch paper at long distances with it. I could get by with a 4-16 for hunting no problem, but the extra magnification is nice.

bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    I'm following on the logic of wanting a bit more top-end magnification if west of the Mississippi. I think that certainly influenced my decision to ultimately go with a 3.5-14. A little more too end than say a 2-10 or 3-9, but not so much that the optic becomes overly large or heavy.

I'm really a big fan of the 240 WBY. Very mild recoil, just a touch more than 243 WIN in my experience. But roughly doubles the range the bullet carries 1k ft/lbs of energy. The ammo is very expensive and difficult to find, however, so it is a bit of a handloader's venture.

I like the looks of that SMLE scout rifle. Is that a SF Warcomp I see on the muzzle?

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    I'm following on the logic of wanting a bit more top-end magnification if west of the Mississippi. I think that certainly influenced my decision to ultimately go with a 3.5-14. A little more too end than say a 2-10 or 3-9, but not so much that the optic becomes overly large or heavy.

I'm really a big fan of the 240 WBY. Very mild recoil, just a touch more than 243 WIN in my experience. But roughly doubles the range the bullet carries 1k ft/lbs of energy. The ammo is very expensive and difficult to find, however, so it is a bit of a handloader's venture.

I like the looks of that SMLE scout rifle. Is that a SF Warcomp I see on the muzzle?
    I agree with your scope choice but make sure you go with the 40mm objective over the 50 cause the weight saving is really nice. Out west if you are hunting right you should have plenty of time to adjust your power ring to a higher power. While over seas I had the opportunity to go wild bore hunting, I hunted with a lodge gun in 7x57 with a 6x Kahles scope. It was a very nice combo while hunting from the blinds. That glass was about as close to night vision as you could get, we started hunting at 4 am and didn't get out of the blind until 8 am for the driven hunt.

bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    I agree with your scope choice but make sure you go with the 40mm objective over the 50 cause the weight saving is really nice. Out west if you are hunting right you should have plenty of time to adjust your power ring to a higher power. While over seas I had the opportunity to go wild bore hunting, I hunted with a lodge gun in 7x57 with a 6x Kahles scope. It was a very nice combo while hunting from the blinds. That glass was about as close to night vision as you could get, we started hunting at 4 am and didn't get out of the blind until 8 am for the driven hunt.

Yep, I'm tracking on that too. I went with a Leica 3.5-14x42, which only weighs about 18oz despite a 30mm tube and side parallax adjustment.

I already have a Near MFG Alphamount on the rifle, which is likely the best mount ever produced IMO. A single piece of lightweight heat-treated titanium. Very pricey, but extremely well machined and incredibly solid.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Fun starts when you build one, find an action you like, look at different barrel makers, find a smith that chambers and head spaces. Next is stock or chassis. Last is glass and mounting options.
    Very right!!! And I need a new hunting rifle like I need a hole in the head lol…. But the thought of a new one is delightful!!

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Did your better 3/4's put a lock on your toys? From what I understand he who dies with the most toys wins! And from what I see here lots of guys are still kicking and your falling behind!:wallbash:
    No Sir not in my house. I provide more than everything we need and have a comfortable savings so when I want something I buy it. My biggest problem is personally justifying do I need this? A lot of times I buy things I really don’t need or have the proper time to use. And after the last couple of weeks I’m not doing so bad lol

Last edited:
    Top Bottom