What makes AR type rifle better for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    Honest question here, I keep reading about one using an AR-15 for home defense purposes. I'm sure this has been covered before so my apologies if so. Why is the AR being used for HD uses over a handgun? I'm not a ballistics expert so the comparison of handguns of higher caliber vs 5.56 or .223....of course I get the power factor differentiating the two. Obviously for outside the home "civil defense" - "end of times" situations is obvious to me. Having fired mine with no ear protection on (on purpose and expecting it), it is very painful to the ears and rendered me practically deaf for a minute or two after, and this was outside. Let alone in a confined space as your home. The temporary deafness would be a hindrance during a time when all senses including hearing should be operating at best levels possible. I know a handgun fired indoors would be loud too but not as loud, and who wants to add muffs to the bed side table at night? Of course a suppressor comes to mind, and the growing popularity of them is there, but would guess they are still far from common on someone's bed side AR set up. Not a argument here just wondering the thought process of a HD AR.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Research "auditory exclusion" and that will answer most of your questions on hearing.

The long gun is preferred in general because it's easier to aim and use under stress. The damage between a soft point or other properly designed .223 defensive round is devastating. It stops more reliably and it stops quicker. Generally (and bullet construction matters, so it is "generally" and not "always") the high speed .223 will not over penetrate through walls and the like as much as pistol rounds. A miss, or a marginal hit such as through the forearm, will begin to disintegrate and not continue through multiple walls to hit someone you didn't want to hit.

Combine the relative lack of recoil, the ease of use with minimal training, superior terminal ballistics, ease of scoring hits, etc. and there's a lot going for an AR for home defense.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Research "auditory exclusion" and that will answer most of your questions on hearing.

The long gun is preferred in general because it's easier to aim and use under stress. The damage between a soft point or other properly designed .223 defensive round is devastating. It stops more reliably and it stops quicker. Generally (and bullet construction matters, so it is "generally" and not "always") the high speed .223 will not over penetrate through walls and the like as much as pistol rounds. A miss, or a marginal hit such as through the forearm, will begin to disintegrate and not continue through multiple walls to hit someone you didn't want to hit.

Combine the relative lack of recoil, the ease of use with minimal training, superior terminal ballistics, ease of scoring hits, etc. and there's a lot going for an AR for home defense.

You probably won't get a better response than this. Some people prefer other carbine platforms, and they all share many of these same benefits. But the AR is the most popular.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Marketing? The assault weapons ban DRAMATICALLY increasing interest in the platform?

I have AR's and its a great platform obviously designed with protection from humans in mind. Very valid choice for home defense for the reasons stated by BehindBlueI's.

For in home defense, hard to beat a short barreled 12 ga pump action shot gun. In most home defense situations; you are going to have one or two intruders. Second one is leaving in hurry when the first one goes down from a shot gun blast.

Plus, the lawsuits that will follow you will be easier to defend with the use a shotgun than the evil "AR"...not that I agree but it is the environment in which we live.

Shotgun at bedside for "clearing the house out"', 45 in the drawer for secondary defense, AR in the corner for the zombie attack.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For in home defense, hard to beat a short barreled 12 ga pump action shot gun. In most home defense situations; you are going to have one or two intruders. Second one is leaving in hurry when the first one goes down from a shot gun blast.

Plus, the lawsuits that will follow you will be easier to defend with the use a shotgun than the evil "AR"...not that I agree but it is the environment in which we live.

The shotgun is another very viable choice, although I think the AR is often easier to use. I don't know how relevant the AR vs shotgun in a lawsuit would be in Indiana. I'm always a bit hesitant to wade into the civil side of things as that's not my wheel house (I deal with the criminal side) but I see that as more of a California concern than an Indiana concern.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    The shotgun is another very viable choice, although I think the AR is often easier to use. I don't know how relevant the AR vs shotgun in a lawsuit would be in Indiana. I'm always a bit hesitant to wade into the civil side of things as that's not my wheel house (I deal with the criminal side) but I see that as more of a California concern than an Indiana concern.

I don't think they make 00buck in the frangible/softpoint/hollow point variety either.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The shotgun is another very viable choice, although I think the AR is often easier to use. I don't know how relevant the AR vs shotgun in a lawsuit would be in Indiana.

Would depend upon the circumstances surrounding the home invasion/shooting, make-up of the jury and a myriad of other factors.

Not making a case against the AR for HD. Definitely on my top three list. Plus it has many other uses.

To make it interesting; maybe a 458 socom AR?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    The thought process for me, was it has a good sight, it has a light, and it holds 30 rounds... I don't have anything else that can do that, but it does go beyond that obviously.
    I have a can on my HD gun, and it's there partly for the reasons you talk about. While I can put a light on a pistol, and a red dot, I feel as if they are much more usable on my rifle. I leave my rifle dot on all of the time, and I like the idea of having a dot over pistol irons or any irons especially when I wake up super tired.

As far as over penetration goes, I have not personally seen what something like a Hornady TAP or similar round design will do. However, I have seen what ball ammo will do and I can say that I'll go through multiple walls, cabinets and such to keep on going. If I lived in an apartment or somewhere with really close neighbors (while all things would most likely have me worried about going through a neighbors wall. I think I would use something besides a rifle, and most likely a shotgun, I think capacity is what makes a rifle win out over a shotgun. Otherwise I feel like the reason you stated about it's effectiveness at stopping someone would make it the clear winner.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ergonomics is the strong point of the AR/Stoner platform.

Training is what makes anything "best" for fighting.

Get a class, get your repetitions.

As for Problem #2, it is the "when", not the "with what" that I concern myself with. As always, the path lies in training.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County

Shotgun at bedside for "clearing the house out"', 45 in the drawer for secondary defense, AR in the corner for the zombie attack.

I like this approach! I interpret zombie attack as someone that is in a drug induced rage and won't stop coming at you until they are "dead dead".

Ghostseeker61

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2016
    Anderson
    I want to keep it simple, you have two hands on the thing. No way they can take it from you and if they get a hand on it you use the other end to club their groin with. The rifle ( or shotgun ) can be brought up on target faster and you're more likely to have a long weapon aimed quicker than a pistol. A sling also helps make sure no one takes it from you.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Only place for a long gun in home defense is from a barricade position, not the right tool for house clearing in my opinion. If the barrel leads around a corner it can be seen and pulled possibly forcing you way off balance. If carried muzzle up and you get attacked rounding the same corner it can end up pointed at your face, muzzle down and you could lose a foot. I will always prefer a handgun if I deem it needed to clear my house while the wife stays in the bedroom with a shotgun on the far side of the bed.

If I were to use an AR for bedroom defense I would likely used my suppressed 300 Whisper.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Only place for a long gun in home defense is from a barricade position, not the right tool for house clearing in my opinion. If the barrel leads around a corner it can be seen and pulled possibly forcing you way off balance. If carried muzzle up and you get attacked rounding the same corner it can end up pointed at your face, muzzle down and you could lose a foot. I will always prefer a handgun if I deem it needed to clear my house while the wife stays in the bedroom with a shotgun on the far side of the bed.

If I were to use an AR for bedroom defense I would likely used my suppressed 300 Whisper.

Ideally you will be barricading. That being said, everyone in the U.S. who clears rooms for a living does it with a long gun. You want the other guy dead ASAP, and pistols don't have a strong track record with that.

But clearing is generally a bad idea. I am forced with my current layout to go downstairs and grab the kids. Once they are secured, it's back upstairs. This is less than ideal, and a change is in the works.

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    I suppose it does seem more practical after reading the responses. I appreciate the desire to keep the action in your home and not your neighbors. I do not live in a apartment, and my neighbor isn't right up close but never the less. So is a lower grain round better for HD then? It should fall apart faster and help control over penetration right? The ability to hold on to it easier makes perfect sense. As does the amazing way the human body handles extreme situations. Ideally I would love to have a AR here and a shotgun there, a pistol above the fridge etc, you get the point. Can't/won't happen in my house, at least not for several years. The bed side safe is as best it gets. So the handgun makes the most sense for me and mine for the time being. Thank you for the input. Sorry for the delayed response, I had class after work today.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Lighter with more rounds able to reach out if need be. What's not to like? Quick reloads. Awesome setup.

Shotgun is a nice tool although I find them to be slow bulky and hard to operate and load. I found myself short stroking my pump action under a little stress in a competitive shoot. For me it isn't the best but wouldn't be unhappy if it's all I had.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    One thing that hasn't been discussed but I heard in a class somewheres...maneuverability. with a handgun one has a free hand to grab loved ones, phone etc.

Would this be a factor anyone here would consider?

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    The weapon used for home defence depends on more than what you like to shoot. Where do you live? In the city? In the country? Or in a subdivision with houses are made of 2X4s and siding. Are the homes around you made of brick? What sort of training have you had or are you willing to get training? Do you shoot often or do you hunt. If you hunt can you take a off hand shot at 100 yards and hit your target?

Answer all the questions above then ask your self what weapon would do the least damage to the person living next to you. What weapon will you be able to hit a target with under stress of someone in your house. What weapon could you come out of a sound sleep and grab and use.

For me I live out in the country. Most of the homes around here are 2X4 and siding as is mine. A 22 long rifle will shoot through one of the outside walls. The closest person living to me is across the road and that is 300 yards from my front door. I can't make any shots in that direction.

I have been shooting most of my life and now I shoot at least once a month. What I shoot will depend on what I am up to. If it is deer season I will see if I can still keep all shots from my 358 Hoosier in a 6" circle at 100 yards off hand. There was a time when I was younger I hunted with a hand gun. I also shot in IHMS events every week.

So what do I use for home defence? At my desk I have a Glock 21 with a light on it to answer questionable noises before I head to bed. Through the day when I am working around the place or working in the barn I have a revolver on my side. We have had animals from a goat to a cow show up and so far so good just lost animals. I have not had to put one down. The pig was tempting.

When I go to bed there is a Glock 36 on the night stand with a trigger guard on it. Behind the door to the bed room there is a shotgun loaded and ready to go. In the safe there is a AR ready to go. If I am woken up by the dogs from a noise they have heard I grab the shotgun to go see what is going on. It has a light on it for if it's dark. If the dogs are barking at the barn or the alarm goes off in my shop in the barn I grab the AR from the safe. It also has a light for if it's dark out. From my front door the barn is 100 yards to the back of it. I let the dogs out and they will take me to what has them bothered. If the alarm in the shop goes off I call the police and watch to see what is happening till they show up. If some one brakes into the house I grab the Glock and strip off the trigger guard and take up a defence of position in the hall.

Now for someone to brake into my house they have gotten by the lights, dogs and made one hell of a lot noise getting in. If they are outside running around the house trying to get in the lights will come on and the dogs should go nuts as they have in the past. Last time it happened it was a bunch of raccoons. The dogs liked to run over me getting out the door.

The last time something happened at the barn I took the shotgun. It was a couple kids trying to brake into the barn. When I turned on the light on the shotgun they took off running. I fired a shot in the air at the eve of the barn to give them something to think about. The shot gun with number 4 buck didn't even dent the siding of the barn from that distance. So I decided to go with the AR to check out the barn because of the distance away form the house it is.

Also most of the time when I head out to answer a call of something wrong the Glock 36 goes with me if I am coming from the bedroom.

As it has been stated many times before no plan is perfect or going to work every time. You are lucky if it works once. Make plans to protect you and yours then make back up plans. Good luck with what you decide is needed to protect you and yours. I hope some of the above stuff helped.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    One thing that hasn't been discussed but I heard in a class somewheres...maneuverability. with a handgun one has a free hand to grab loved ones, phone etc.

Would this be a factor anyone here would consider?

Another great thing about the AR. As long as you don't hang a bunch of crap on the front of them, they are easily light enough to manage with one hand.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I have yet to see anyone break in a house then set up an ambush. Every gun owner who was disarmed was due to failure to fire when they had the chance, either as a choice or gun not in condition to fire (safety on, broken, etc.)

Top Bottom