What makes AR type rifle better for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Good thread. I'm reevaluating my defense scenario currently as we should have a newborn this Wednesday. While I like the idea of a suppressed AR handy, I don't like the idea of NFA items floating around. I feel better with those in the safe. I currently have an 870 with OO loaded up, and an XD40 handy. I built up a very lightweight AR for HD use as well but I have yet to put it through its paces. While I'm in a neighborhood, I'm not terribly worried about neighbors. Not that I wouldn't think of their safety, but the layout of my house is that where from my bedroom, I cannot envision any round exiting the house when fired in a neighbors direction, lots of rooms to go through. I'd like to get some defensive 556 and do some testing on sheetrock and wood.
    If, God forbid, my wife was alone and taking up a defensive position, I'd really like her to have 30rds...
    I need to do some reading and thinking.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    For me it's about accuracy. A high quality red dot and you can put a round through a nostril. If an intruder is holding my child id rather take a shot with an AR than a pistol.

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    For me it's about accuracy. A high quality red dot and you can put a round through a nostril. If an intruder is holding my child id rather take a shot with an AR than a pistol.

I think this is one of the more important things right here. Shot placement. There have been plenty of cases where the baddie was peppered with pistol rounds or even 5.56. Without proper shot placement the gunshot is just a annoyance, especially in those that are altered. I have seen firsthand the aftermath of an individual that was hit more than 10 times and is still fighting, on the other hand, I have seen people hit with one round in the proper place and they dropped immediately. A modern carbine is something that allows that, with proper training of course.

Also ammo choice. You need a real self defense round, not FMJ or Open tip. You need a round that is going to expand and penetrate. For that info check out the FBI's studies on 5.56. It is the most comprehensive study there is. So, ammo choice and shot placement. That is what stops the other guy.

Greyson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2016
    Irvington/Indy
    6mm: I'd caution against firing off a warning shot. You might find yourself in court with a attempted murder charge. You and I know it is only intended to cause a little instant edification. Momma, on the other-hand will insist that you tried your best to shoot her baby.
    Using lethal force is kind of a bad thing except where permitted.

Last edited:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Thank you Greyson for the heads up. I always thought in this state we were aloud to protect our stuff and people. I had no idea of what the two were up to. Hell by shooting at the eve of my barn may have saved their lives. You know put them on the path of it being safer to work for what you want then trying to steal it where you stand a chance of getting shot by some cranky old fart.

I do have to say they have not been back for round two. I think that makes them a little smarter than I thought they were.

BoxingRef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Cincy
    I use both an old Springfield M1 carbine loaded with 15 in the mag and two more mags
    on the stock and a 20 gauge youth model with a slugs. Wife can and will shoot both.
    Myself - G19 AIWB except - when I'm in the shower!

Be safe all!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This. I have a gun in my room in case someone breaks in and I need it to defend myself or my wife. But I'm not clearing if we can get out of the house. My wife and I sleep in the same room, and we have a door about 5 feet from the bed that goes outside. Someone breaks in and I don't need to immediately defend myself.....I'm going out the back and calling the cops. Nothing worth dieing for (that statement works both ways, for intruders, and for myself) in my house (other than the wife of course).
    But clearing is generally a bad idea. I am forced with my current layout to go downstairs and grab the kids. Once they are secured, it's back upstairs. This is less than ideal, and a change is in the works.

Will317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 18, 2016
    Beech Grove
    I ditched my Mossberg 500 for my AR due to the recoil and being semi auto and less effort to use one. Under stress, I can just flip the safety off and have 30 rounds to defend my family with if the need would unfortunately occur.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I consider our HD guns for use in the home only. With that in mind, the one thing seldom mentioned in these conversations is range. Consider what is the longest physically possible shot you may have to take and then consider the range of the most likely shot. There will be a big difference. For us 55' is the longest possible. From the kitchen, down a hall, into a bedroom. There is a line of sight that far but the shot is HIGHLY unlikely. Most likely would be 20' or less, maybe way less. We also considered how quickly we might need to get a weapon in action. YMMV!

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    Good thread going here with many great points. I'd just like to offer up my experience with an AR and over penetration or the common missconception. I've personally had the opportunity to shoot through many things and an AR is less dangerous in a home defense situation than a pistol or shotgun in imo. If I were using a shotgun it would be loaded with birdshot. Just research and read....try some things out.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If I were using a shotgun it would be loaded with birdshot.

No. Birdshot is for birds. I've seen a lot of folks shot close range with bird shot. While the x-ray looks like a really difficult connect the dot puzzle, the wounds are much too shallow to physically stop someone.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Why is the AR being used for HD uses over a handgun?

in the middle of the night, I may not be wearing a gun belt and holster and spare mag carrier for a pistol. w/ an AR, everything I need is on the gun... light, sling, and spare mag. If the immediate threat is over but I need both hands (eg for CPR or make phone call), I have a way to carry the gun (sling) w/o need for a holster, this means I don't have to set the gun down, have it get out of reach/control, etc. You could even put a tourniquet/aid kit on it...

just some other practical advantages to an AR besides ballistics and range...

One thing that hasn't been discussed but I heard in a class somewheres...maneuverability. with a handgun one has a free hand to grab loved ones, phone etc.

Would this be a factor anyone here would consider?

A properly set up AR is plenty easy hold/fire one handed. Sure, maybe not if you're using a 20" HBAR, but a good carbine should be light enough and balance well enough the second hand isn't really necessary. have you tried shooting your AR one handed (same SH grip and same stance, just let the WH off)? Of course, if I thought I was going to need to use the gun, phones, etc would be way down on the priority list... but to take your hand off long enough to dial and put on speaker, etc. no problem.

-rvb

Top Bottom