• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I acquired another Garand the other day. Winchester barrel and receiver, H&R gas plug, International Harvester front sight and the balance in SA.

The lucky part is the stock. It is a SA GAW with all the cartouches intact!

The only SA 3million serial number I have is my shooter with NOS 1960's barrel and op rod, so it would be a waste to put it on that one. But my M1 buddy that got me started in Garand collecting has a suitable recipient. Serendipity!

When I say ALL the cartouches I mean it even has the tiny crossed cannons on the butt of the pistol grip. That one is usually the first to go due to size and location.

The only detracting factor is a hand engraved rack number that looks like it would have been stored in a kindergarten, but that is just it's history.

How many of you have found cartouche'd stocks on anything but collectors and correct grade guns? This is a first for me to have more than the "P" on a everyday purchased Garand. Of course I didn't even know it until I got all the dipped on goop that had been applied to it...

JRR85

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    Winchester barrel and receiver alone is a pretty awesome score but add in a cartouched stock. You did very well! Congrats.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Didn't get pics today, busy day.

My friend just remembered his 3million serial # is a M1D so this stock is a no go for it.

Col George A Woody stamped stocks were used up to 3.3 million serial # M1's even though he had died before the end of that run was made.

The closest I have at this time is a 3.65 million since I traded off my June 1944.

Guess I might just hold on to it and see what the future brings. I will post pics asap.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I acquired another Garand the other day. Winchester barrel and receiver, H&R gas plug, International Harvester front sight and the balance in SA.

The lucky part is the stock. It is a SA GAW with all the cartouches intact!

The only SA 3million serial number I have is my shooter with NOS 1960's barrel and op rod, so it would be a waste to put it on that one. But my M1 buddy that got me started in Garand collecting has a suitable recipient. Serendipity!

When I say ALL the cartouches I mean it even has the tiny crossed cannons on the butt of the pistol grip. That one is usually the first to go due to size and location.

The only detracting factor is a hand engraved rack number that looks like it would have been stored in a kindergarten, but that is just it's history.

How many of you have found cartouche'd stocks on anything but collectors and correct grade guns? This is a first for me to have more than the "P" on a everyday purchased Garand. Of course I didn't even know it until I got all the dipped on goop that had been applied to it...

Congrats!

Nothing like an M1!

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Many moons ago, at least 20 years or more, I acquired a stock very much like the one you describe for my rifle that I built up from a CMP bare receiver. Parts were commonly available back then and it was easy to build up a rifle using the correct numbered parts as it would have come from the factory.

I then got the idea in my head that I should also have a "beater" stock that I could put on the rifle when I took it to the range so that I didn't risk damaging the nice stock with the cartouche.

I found one on eBay that the guy described as have multiple repairs to the wood, but still solid for shooting. Perfect! There were no photos, so I was the only bidder and won it for something like $20 plus shipping.

It arrived and I discovered that the wood repairs were actually 4 large pieces of wood perfectly spliced at the butt plate, but the stock was otherwise like new complete with the eagle cartouche and the numbers in the barrel channel typical of International Harvester. I subsequently learned from other collectors that it was a very rare early IHC production stock that had factory original repairs due to some manufacturing problem they had.

I turned around and sold it for over $400 the same week that I got it. I hate to think what kind of money it would bring today, but it's not often you get that kind of return on investment in one week just due to dumb luck.

Last edited:

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I recently acquired a gas trsp stock with original gas trap checkered butt plate that came on an old CMP rifle. The old guy that it came from said that there WERE “markings on the side of the stock” when he got it from the CMP, but he had sanded them off to make the stock “look prettier”.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I recently acquired a gas trsp stock with original gas trap checkered butt plate that came on an old CMP rifle. The old guy that it came from said that there WERE “markings on the side of the stock” when he got it from the CMP, but he had sanded them off to make the stock “look prettier”.
    OMG, now you know why they are hard to find!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Nice stock! Got any pics of the whole rifle? My first Garand was a special rack grade that came with CMP wood. It's a very nice (way nicer than I expected) lead-dipped 6-digit Springfield, and a great shooter, but far from a correct, collectible rifle. I just ordered a Service Grade...I can only hope that what I get ends up being anywhere close to as nice as yours!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    This is the Winnie. I haven't gauged the barrel yet but from the outside it looks "new".

Very light drag marks from the op rod along the bottom of the barrel.

Attachments

• DSC05720.JPG
      DSC05720.JPG
      1.1 MB · Views: 13
    • DSC05721.JPG
      DSC05721.JPG
      1.1 MB · Views: 13
    Top Bottom