What is your longest serving CCW handgun ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    No I'm pretty happy I kept the first carry pistol as is and bought a second one. I am not terribly sentimental but that gun is so nicely broken in and used as it was. I really just wanted to keep it as is. On top of the fact I wasn't 100% in on the dot and it was going to be my first personal RDS pistol. I'm pretty set on mags and holsters for the pistol and all that stuff, so buying another one just seemed like a no brainer. Plus having two of a true EDC (I don't carry different pistols) is a good idea in my opinion. Now my back up doesn't have a dot, but it's not like I can't shoot a pistol with irons anymore it just isn't my first choice. So if I had to do it over again I would still buy a second. And I really am sold on the dot! I'm going to have a 34 milled here before too long I'm sure.

Thanks. If I can find a M&P to match mine at the same price I paid for it, I'll probably go ahead and do the same thing. I have searched for a slide that I could swap back if the RDS doesn't work out for me but I can't find one anywhere for the 2.0 Compact.

I can't imagine I won't like a red dot though. I have been struggling with vision issues for going on 5 years now and it has prevented me from really getting out there and working on developing shooting skills. Seems like I spend most of my time trying different things out to be able to see. Plus I struggle with not being target focused. Everything I have ever done I was taught to focus on the target. Getting a front sight sharp and having the rear sight and target a blur doesn't click with me for some reason.

Some people have boxes of holsters they have tried and didn't work out for them. I have boxes of shooting glasses!:)

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks. If I can find a M&P to match mine at the same price I paid for it, I'll probably go ahead and do the same thing. I have searched for a slide that I could swap back if the RDS doesn't work out for me but I can't find one anywhere for the 2.0 Compact.

I can't imagine I won't like a red dot though. I have been struggling with vision issues for going on 5 years now and it has prevented me from really getting out there and working on developing shooting skills. Seems like I spend most of my time trying different things out to be able to see. Plus I struggle with not being target focused. Everything I have ever done I was taught to focus on the target. Getting a front sight sharp and having the rear sight and target a blur doesn't click with me for some reason.

Some people have boxes of holsters they have tried and didn't work out for them. I have boxes of shooting glasses!:)

I'd say go for it sooner than later then. I'm a pretty big fan, all of the benefits you get from a dot on a rifle aren't really different than on a pistol and you rarely see iron sight rifles anymore. I think Don Edwards said "it's 2018, we put red dots on our pistols now" and the technology is here so I get it. It sucks that it's so expensive but I would rather have a couple great guns than a bunch of so so guns. So I'll be sucking it up and putting them on from here on out I'm sure. I had mine milled to the optic (RMR) and rear sight placed in front of it and the slide nitrided. it was a couple hundred buck from primary machine, add that in with the price of the optic and that's more than the pistol... But I am in on the dots, only thing I don't like is the possibility of wanting to change to a better optic in the future and possibly not having the option due to milling. I'm taking a hard look at Agency Arms AOS system. It seems like it could accommodate about anything that would come out with a new plate so that's a real possibility for my next one.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    One of my earliest carry guns that does not get much holster time any more is this CZ 75B Compact. The round count is only just north of 4K but it has a buttery smooth feel that’s hard to get without shooting a gun in.
    3b173ecbcc889752e9cc305d358ab929.jpg

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    One of my earliest carry guns that does not get much holster time any more is this CZ 75B Compact. The round count is only just north of 4K but it has a buttery smooth feel that’s hard to get without shooting a gun in.
    3b173ecbcc889752e9cc305d358ab929.jpg

Very nice. I've been carrying some variation of the CZ Compact for many years. The individual guns may have changed a couple of times but they all have been set up the same and have been, essentially, the same gun.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I noticed some of these 5+ year edc don't have any noticeable wear on the slides. Do you have them refinished often? What kind of holsters do you use to keep the finish from wearing off if not refinishing them? All of my pistols get the worn look within a year. They get put in and pulled out of my holster over 1,300x a year approximately. Holstering in morning, taking it out in evening, and then practicing drawing and firing throughout the year takes its toll. I carry every day.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Like several others here, mine is a Gen 2 Glock 19. I traded for it at a Muncie gun show, I have no idea how long ago. I do remember it was when the license was the large pink paper that we weren't allowed to laminate. I think I was living in Gaston at the time so it would be sometime in the early to mid 90's?

The gun has been passed between myself and a friend I grew up with. He really wanted it so I sold it to him, a couple times actually. I would always end up buying it back about a year later. It's been to Allen for some cosmetic work, nothing fancy, a dark gray frame & barrel and a black slide now.

I'd post a picture but she's out on loan since March to a girl I work with. She needed something to have around the house during the Covid times since she couldn't get back to her fathers place to borrow one of his. On our last day of work I sent it home with her along with 5 mags of 147 HST and a holster.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Started with a Glock G19 gen 2 (retired) and now carry either one of the CZ Compacts or a Sig P365 XL. I've never worn out a carry gun not sure how that happens.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Cheap piece of garbage Springfield Armory 1911A1 GI model since September 2008. See my avatar.

It works for me. Shoots every time, doesn't jamb and habituation is a thing.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I noticed some of these 5+ year edc don't have any noticeable wear on the slides. Do you have them refinished often? What kind of holsters do you use to keep the finish from wearing off if not refinishing them? All of my pistols get the worn look within a year. They get put in and pulled out of my holster over 1,300x a year approximately. Holstering in morning, taking it out in evening, and then practicing drawing and firing throughout the year takes its toll. I carry every day.

At least for my ECO, Dan Wesson's Duty Treat is tough as nails basically a DLC coating. Expensive but worth it , that and IMHO carrying in a very nice leather holsters helps prevent finish wear as well. My P365 is beginning to show some holster wear but I try to stay on top of it.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The one in my avatar is the same model I carry my actual pistols finish is very worn.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

The polycoat that CZ uses holds up pretty well. You can see the patina in the controls in the photo I had posted above of the compact. The Glock 23 has a NibX slide and other than going from a matte to more of a polished look through use, it really hasn’t worn at all

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The polycoat that CZ uses holds up pretty well. You can see the patina in the controls in the photo I had posted above of the compact. The Glock 23 has a NibX slide and other than going from a matte to more of a polished look through use, it really hasn’t worn at all

I just picked up a CZ P10 F still breaking it in yet. Will see how it holds up. My Shield 45 is getting worn off some. Its going on 4 years of service.

Top Bottom