• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm not sure it matters on the left. I am aware of no left-leaning acquaintances who will vote an alternative even when they disagree with leftist policies and ideas. Hell, have ANY of the leftists on INGO even acknowledged Biden is a disaster?

On the other hand, voters on the right are seemingly always willing to commit friendly fire
    out of purity concerns and champion their willingness to vote unstrategically at every opportunity

Ergo, I conclude any new third party will, like the Libertarian party, primarily siphon votes away from conservatives

'We have met the enemy and he is us'

I think it's selective bias in that the people with the most feelz also have the loudest voices online. The hardliners aren't going to switch from either party and that's not the target or expectation. Single issue voters aren't likely to switch either, unless the new party just happens to align with them. The people who tend to comment in INGO political threads are going to vote for Satan if he's a Republican and gets an "A" from the NRA. It's a self-selected group who is very into guns by virtue of being on a gun board and very into politics by continuously posting the threads.

The left has the same sorts of things, but they aren't any more lock step in reality. Remember the division over Hillary? Bernie Bros who stayed home rather than vote for her? Her numbers weren't remotely close to Obama's as far as core turnout. And it cost her the election. They didn't just show up to pull a lever because "D" behind the name. The controversy over how Hillary got the nomination, FBI reports about classified materials that hit the media shortly before the election, all of her Clinton-esque baggage overcame that.

Voting for someone else may have been an option, maybe they would have still stayed home. ANY 3rd party has a huge uphill battle vs the entrenched and enriched mega-parties, but getting people who already have name recognition, PAC support, etc. is going to be the best shot at it, IMO.

As far as Libertarians appealing primarily to conservatives, what conservatives are voting for legalization of all drugs, unfettered access to abortion, gay marriage, legalization of gambling without restriction, legalization of prostitution, abolishing the death penalty, etc? How about a complete opening of the borders for "market freedom" of labor? Any Republican who voiced a third of those would be a RINO or worse instantly. Some of it is pretty extreme for liberals. How many people of any political stripe do you think believe that "financial and human capital should move freely across borders"?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So just who are the most extreme republicans and what are their views? I believe far fewer republican voters are dissatisfied because they are too far right than are unhappy they are too far left.

The republicans are the moderate party, but with the full on demonization by the cultural arbiters they seem extreme.

If the R voters are so satisified, why so much whining in the ranks? Trump vs never-Trumpers. What happened to the TEA party. RINOs everywhere you look. Ditch Mitch. Oh so very satisfied. :D

And, no, sometimes they just are extreme. Not always and not everyone, but can you honestly say there's no extremists in the party? C'mon. Now that Roe V Wade is dead Republicans are having to scramble a bit because it used to be completely safe to shout down abortion rights as a reliable vote getter without being expected to deliver since, you know, SCOTUS. Now that you can be expected to walk the walk after talking the talking, the reality of rape victims, incest, real health concerns, etc. seems more pressing. Is a total ban an extreme view? Obviously. Is a belief in completely unfettered access well past the point of viability also an extreme view? Again, obviously. Both parties have their extremists who don't appeal to a big chunk of voters who then decide to hold their nose and vote anyway for the things they do align on...or just stay home.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I believe far fewer republican voters are dissatisfied because they are too far right than are unhappy they are too far left.

If the R voters are so satisified, why so much whining in the ranks? Trump vs never-Trumpers. What happened to the TEA party. RINOs everywhere you look. Ditch Mitch. Oh so very satisfied. :D

You completely changed what I said. Rephrased, it is conservatives that are dissatisfied and you seem to agree as all your examples are unsatisfied conservatives.

Now, where are the masses of dissatisfied left leaning republicans?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

She probably knows her constituents might be getting a little more conservative and she's changing her style to get the votes to stay on the taxpayer payroll.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Perhaps. All she said was that she is leaving the Democrat party and she called for other likeminded independent Democrats to join her. I don't think it's a call to join the Republican party per se even though she said a lot of things that appeal to Republicans. At least she hasn't come out yet and said she was switching parties to be a Republican just that she is leaving the Democrat party. I think at one point though she briefly said something about traditional liberalism and that ain't the current Democrat party.

Maybe she wants to get back to that bygone definition.

Who knows at this point until she actually commits to what political makeup that she wants to identify with. Right now, it doesn't seem to be the current Democrat party.

She put out a half-hour thing on Youtube yesterday, and she sure said all the right things.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Maybe she is angling for a third party instead. She needs to clarify what her future political intentions are because I don't think she is trusted by the Democrats or Republicans right now.

The Democrats HATE her. Republicans are merely skeptical about her. I still think she's going third party.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Yes. Could you imagine a Trump/Gabbard ticket? Boy, that would be fun.

Ivanka, Melania and Tulsi on the same stage. Works for me.

macho-man-randy-savage.gif

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I thought Trump only picked the best people.
    It's more like libertarian candidates, he originally could only pick from a shallow talent pool that was willing to support him/try to use him for some advantage

Trump 47 I expect will have a wider pool of talent to draw from

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yes. Could you imagine a Trump/Gabbard ticket? Boy, that would be fun.
    Nah, can't really imagine it. I don't think Trump would pick Gabbard as a running mate, same with DeSantis or Cruz. And all of them for the same reason, and that would be they would take too much of his limelight.

That's kind of like wishing for a Caesar/Brutus ticket

We already did that America First/Passive Aggressive Traitor type of ticket with Trump/Pence
    So why was Pence a traitor?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom