What is the rarest firearm you have seen someone with at the range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I’m not sure how rare they are but I ran into the shop owner that does my transfers shooting his Wildey in .475 Wildey magnum and got to fire a few rounds. I had never seen one before and mistook it for an Automag.

I don’t really own anything extremely rare but I do have a 1977 Browning BDA .45 (Sig P220). I know they’re out there but mine is the only one I’ve seen in person.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Very nice....

I always got a kick out of the wildcat rounds folks would come up with when IN was jerking around with silly rules on private land.
    Much like a scaled up 30-30.

My favorite INnovations were the foreshortened .35 Remington and 45-70 rounds. When I came to Indiana those gave me a pretty good chuckle seeing how people circumvented the buttinski regulators. As the character Dr. McCoy once observed the bureaucratic mind is a universal constant!
    :woot:

I could reduce the case neck length on my wildcat and still get plenty good hunting accuracy. It was designed around the Lyman/Ideal #375296 (283 grains with my alloy) and using slow burning powders to elongate the pressure curve without sufficient plastic deformation of the bullet base as cause a loss in accuracy. A compressed charge of WW760 and CCI250 magnum primer gave more than 2100FPS with two to two and a half inch groups at 200 yards. That was way overkill for deer, especially the "briefcase deer" in Texas.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    A buddy of mine has a full auto AR lower that he puts a belt fed .22lr upper on. Upper has a tray and feed mechanism like an M60 MG. Cool as hell and a hoot to shoot.
    got to shoot something called a Razorback once. belt fed 22lr that was basically a miniature 1919. real picky on ammo, but real fun to shoot

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    1895 45-70 marlin a fella inherited. Nicest condition I’ve seen. Indoor range. The bench was made out of angle iron with the lip up so things wouldn’t roll off. He insisted on laying the gun across the bench on raw metal and sliding it from side to side. By the time he was done the barrel and stock was beat & scratched all to heck. Worst gun abuse I have ever seen.

Sitcomdad83

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2021
    Indiana
    An old timer had a blunderbus and I was like let me shoot it then my wife called and I had to leave early and just like that my chance at awesomeness was gone. I bet he ticked everybody off if he fired it it would've probably sprayed every target on the line.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    View attachment 141968
    The Swiss ammo is scarce as hens teeth and more expensive than 9mm.
    The original .41 Swiss rifles are not that hard to convert to centerfire and the ammo can be formed from 8x50 Lebel brass. I'm not sure if the guy is still around or still doing it but there used to be a guy that hung out on some of the milsurp forums that would do the conversion for less than $50. Both the Swiss and Italian versions are neat old rifles.

Top Bottom