What is a "Good" Stockpile for Munitions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    And you can do cool **** like this, without risking sending a round over the berm or putting a hole in your arm.

I sat through that waiting for him to shoot himself... Bummer.
    I feel dumber now after watching that.
    All that practicing 'Gun Fu', big words, and no idea how things happen in the real world.
    My 5'2" (and a half!) 125 pound wife could use pressure points to take knives, clubs, etc away with minimal actual martial arts training...
    ... And NOT stand trial in criminal or civil law suit trials...

Hope he doesn't shoot his pud off, pretty small target also, like arteries. ;)

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Jeez. I would have helped w that cleanup

he only had it poorly stored. Not that he had too much.

I wonder how much the government has stockpiled for our military and other federal police forces. OP?

Why?
    Rotted out cases, surplus powder containers that had corroded or split out, nothing but dangerous & poisonous junk.
    I didn't mention the stockpile of rotted weapons on the ground floor, about 1/4 reported stolen and another 1/4 with serial numbers scratched out...

He's lucky he went to the booby hatch with dementia instead of lockup,
    Still threw a crap fit about his weapons & ammo being sized, even thought it was a rusted/corroded junk pile.

The 2A guys used him as an example of government over-reach,
    But the fact if the matter is he had WW I & WW II surplus ammo washing miles down the creek, poisoning the land/water, kids were finding ammo by the bucket loads in the creek (which means they were exposed to toxins), and about half of his 'Stockpile' was stolen or altered (probably stolen also).

Not exactly the poster boy for law abiding firearms owners.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I am a first-time firearm owner (not even 2 weeks' yet!) and have quickly found myself asking 2 questions:
    • How much ammo should I stockpile in this current supply-and-demand/pandemic environment?
    • Why did I chose now, of all times, to get into this?!
    The second question is certainly tongue-in-cheek. However, the first is anything but. I have only been able to fire 100 rounds through my new firearm, exclusively because of the ever-increasing cost and rarity of ammo. And as I get a box here and there, the common advice is to stockpile. So, stockpile I have, even though I very much want to go to the range.

So, my fellow INGO visitors, what is a "good", "safe," or "[insert adjective of equal definition here]" amount of munitions to stockpile, in your opinion?
    I have gone through all the panics. I got caught nearly empty handed on .22 during '09. Will never happen again.

You should not be stockpiling now. You should be dry firing, getting a class or three, buying mags and lowers and readying your storage space if and when the worm turns.

IF the market goes down, then you buy. The first time you hear a tooth-talker tell you "I stores all meye ammo at the Rural King." BUY. BUY heavy.

You chose now because of the condition of humanity. Remember what Warren Buffet said, see the crowd, go the other way..

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I am a first-time firearm owner (not even 2 weeks' yet!) and have quickly found myself asking 2 questions:
    • How much ammo should I stockpile in this current supply-and-demand/pandemic environment?
    • Why did I chose now, of all times, to get into this?!
    The second question is certainly tongue-in-cheek. However, the first is anything but. I have only been able to fire 100 rounds through my new firearm, exclusively because of the ever-increasing cost and rarity of ammo. And as I get a box here and there, the common advice is to stockpile. So, stockpile I have, even though I very much want to go to the range.

So, my fellow INGO visitors, what is a "good", "safe," or "[insert adjective of equal definition here]" amount of munitions to stockpile, in your opinion?
    I want a minimum of 5k for 223/5.56. 2K for calibers that I like such as 300 BO. With pistol ammo, I am fine with much less. And might I recommend buying some stripper clips for 223/5.56 and 300 BO. Fifty loaded AR mags are not something you want to be moving about with. Unsure why guys do that. Oh and if you get a fair amount loaded up, keep it to yourself. Otherwise, in time like these, you will be getting calls every day from guys wanting some ammo from you! Ask me how I know.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    1K rounds for everything you own, more if you can afford it.
    I stockpile more than most but this has limits.

I can't come to any justification to stockpile 1k rounds of many of the magnum calibers sitting in my stock. Would you like to stockpile even the components for 1k .375H&H or .300win mag? There isn't any reason to.

Now, 1k rounds for active training weapons that you shoot in volume is actually a little low. That's less than 100 rounds per training session per month in a drawn out drought like this one. Figure out how many times you "wish" you could shoot per month and how many rounds you'll use. Multiply that by however long you wish to survive a drought and stock that. For some, that's 12 months, for others, that's 8 years.

It's up to you.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I'll save you some time. This guy just talks about what caliber, not necessarily the number. It's a little cartoonish, but he's a good source of info.

22lr
    handgun of choice (9m/40)
    long rifle (he likes 6.5 cm, I think 308 is more available today)
    shotgun (prob 12 gauge)

in terms of quantity, always a little bit more than you think you'll need.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    I try to stockpile what I think I'll need over the winter months when I'm not shooting. Most of the stockpile is used up my this time of year. I'm at 6000+ rds of 22LR this year, with a couple matches left in October

Top Bottom