• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't really know why I do this every year, but I bought a dozen or so packets of garden seeds as soon as I saw them hit the shelves at Lowes. There's just some peace of mind that I've at least got something I can grow if the shelves all get wiped out in some panic buying rush.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Finally got my backup heat in. I bought this stove a while back in need of rebuilding and ended up with about $1000 in it. A new Vermont Castings Defiant would run in the mid $4k range now. I did ok, hope she holds up for a while.
    View attachment 246954
    Pretty happy with the stove and performance. Burned some ash for a few hours yesterday when it got windy and into the 30s. Three decent pieces of ash kept the house warm and the furnace from running for 4 hours or so.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    19 days in a row of work. A couple double time days. Most should show on the next pay check.
    Two days off. Repackaged first aid kits from IFAC to mobile transport style for car kits. Have new IFAC coming for war belt and TRASH bag.
    Ordered some garden seeds thought I was early but some seem sold out even now but no worries.
    Pantry work and the old normal life of trash removal and post holiday put a way day today.
    Sunday will be a little car maintenance run some cables and drop the TV down four inches cause I do not read instructions.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Got all the stainless steel tables set up, all knives sharpened , vacuum packaging set up, will be butchering 2 beefs tomorrow and monday also i think, there'll be 7 of us working 4 with experience so it should go quick!!!!!! And most will be deboned but have the meat saw ready to go in case!

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Got all the stainless steel tables set up, all knives sharpened , vacuum packaging set up, will be butchering 2 beefs tomorrow and monday also i think, there'll be 7 of us working 4 with experience so it should go quick!!!!!! And most will be deboned but have the meat saw ready to go in case!
    Got everything cleaned and sanitized mon evening and tuesday, had a good time some learned a lot , Don't think i want to go any bigger as space is limited for 7 people. We still;; had beef from the last butchering, will keep my eye out for more beef deals like i got this past year hopefully and may be able to spread it around even more.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Made 2 fire pistons that work. Been looking for flint/chirt. I may go down to the river and pound on rocks with a file LOL. I've been organizing my camping gear and first aid bag.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Wife bought boxes and boxes of pasta this week at Meijer since it was on sale this week for .79 a box. After work yesterday I vacuum sealed it all.
    I've not considered this before, so I've done zero research on the topic. Is the goal of vacuum sealing pasta to keep moisture out? I suppose it could absorb moisture in the storage area and therefore musty odor/taste?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've not considered this before, so I've done zero research on the topic. Is the goal of vacuum sealing pasta to keep moisture out? I suppose it could absorb moisture in the storage area and therefore musty odor/taste?

Keeps both moisture and oxygen out. The gardener uses vacuum sealing all the time on fresh greens like lettuce and spinach to extend the freshness.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne

From stuff I have read, you can take pasta from months to years. I throw a oxygen absorber in the bag and throw them in a food grade bucket with another oxygen absorber and a screw on lid.

Elbow are the easiet if it is just plain pasta. Some pasta, depending on shape can poke little holes in the bags and slowly leak over a few days so you kinda have to watch them.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Keeps both moisture and oxygen out. The gardener uses vacuum sealing all the time on fresh greens like lettuce and spinach to extend the freshness.
    Yes, fresh greens I would expect and have packaged before. But pasta is a new one on me.
    From stuff I have read, you can take pasta from months to years. I throw a oxygen absorber in the bag and throw them in a food grade bucket with another oxygen absorber and a screw on lid.

Elbow are the easiet if it is just plain pasta. Some pasta, depending on shape can poke little holes in the bags and slowly leak over a few days so you kinda have to watch them.
    Duly noted on the potential for holes.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Given I am sitting in my 70 degree living room on fiber optic internet with the power having been out for 4+ hours now I think I am doing ok.
    I do however not have a way to run my deep well pump. Running water is really one of those things most of us take for granted. I need to solve this problem,and it is not a simple one,not for a long term solution anyway.

I tapped a few maple trees this week.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Spent hours Sunday afternoon going through all the canned goods dating and rotating them. Have to stay on top of it or it can get out of hand.

Wife bought boxes and boxes of pasta this week at Meijer since it was on sale this week for .79 a box. After work yesterday I vacuum sealed it all.
    We freeze our pasta first to kill bugs, had real problems with one major brand having weevils in it, after freezing we vacuum pack ours too!!

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I repacked my EDC bag, (car/truck bag) pretty sure I need a bigger bag. Currently kicking tires for one of those.
    This is my EDC/day hiking bag. Osprey 22l Talon.
    It unlike most day packs has a good hip belt and great ventilation.
    It is not huge,but 22L will hold quite a bit.

I have hiked loads with Osprey packs,even broke one dropping it down a rock face for easier mobility(I was honest with Osprey and they still replaced the pack for free AND sent it to me on the trail) and broke the frame rails. Point being they are rugged,reliable,and they will repair or replace any pack they have EVER made. Not 1 year not 5 year,forever.

"Our constant dedication to superior quality, design and craftsmanship backed up by a solid
    warranty has gained us countless loyal customers and an exemplary reputation for producing
    gear that truly lasts a lifetime. Therefore, we thought it only appropriate as we celebrated our
    35th anniversary in 2009 to launch an all-encompassing guarantee – any product, any reason, any
    era – The Osprey All Mighty Guarantee."

Amazon product ASIN B08LNZZ4PV

Even more fascinating to me is the fact the company came into existence in 1974,a few days after I was born lol.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom