• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eagle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2020
    Greenwood
    Finally assembled a Get Home Bag with food, water, and supply, and will toss it in the vehicle anytime I leave home. Still need to buy a good multitool for the bag, maybe the Leatherman Surge will go on sale post-Christmas.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I finally got another set of filters for the Berkey on the way. They are only:rolleyes: a hundred bucks for a day or two more... https://www.berkeyfilters.com/products/black-berkey-replacement-elements-holiday-sale-2020

I'm gonna food color test my old filters before cleaning them again. Maybe after also? Never really did a final test on them after the drawn out vinegar cleaning procedure earlier this year.
    One filter was bad out of the two originals. Wish I could figure how I compromised it. Dunno if it was the vinegar cleaning, scrubbing or what?

The new filters cetainly have a fantastic flow compared to the old ones.

Next filter purchase, hopefully 4-5 years down the road, gonna make note to purchase some extra washers and wing nuts to have on hand. The filter cleanings are rough on these parts and there is wear.

I guess I'm just gonna discard the bad filter? It really seems wastefull to toss a three year old $50 filter?

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Giving myself a run of my power outage "comfort" power back up stuff 'cause the power shut down about 5 hours ago. So far... Not awesome. v1.0 looks like it will make it about 8 hours, but I'd like to at least double that.

Ordered a few more candle lanterns... About to order some replacement batteries for an APC UPS2200 I swiped out of the trash from work. Considering buying a portable propane heater that can run on 1lb cylinders because dragging my kerosene heaters up from the basement just sounds like too much work, although that's probably about to happen. :laugh:

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Might be worth a new thread ... but I am wondering what I am forgetting. Working on power alternatives. Learned to can Plenty of meat (lots still walking in the field).

wheat berries and bread supplies. Canned fruit stocked

most garden needs already on hand.

Cooking oil is a concern as it can only be stored so long.

How deep do we stock? ESP as space starts to run short.

sigh.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Since last post here, I had gotten covid and lived through it by some miracle of the 99% survival rate.

Picked up some goodies over Christmas for backpacking like pathfinder titanium cookware. I'm looking forward to a chance to use that stuff at some point. I got a smoker for Christmas, so I've getting a handle on to use that, but I really like that I have another way to cook that can work on completely natural fuels. Honestly, that thing is too easy. Light the fire charcoal, dump in the bottom, open the vents completely for 5 minutes, put meat wrapped in foil and adjust vents to where they should end up. I check it once an hour to make sure the temp didn't go crazy, but that's as easy as glancing at it through the window as I walk to the kitchen to grab a glass of water.

Ordered some dehydrated backpacking food. I found some green beans which are usually hard to come across, but I like picking up some backpacking food that doubles as food storage.

Usually this is also the time of year where I start to look at the expiration dates on the medicine I have for my pet fish. That's a yearly refresher expense, but every where I looked for the normal things was out of stock.

Talked my family into chickens this spring. Everyone is on board. We've talked about it for years, but I'm finally going to make it a priority and make it happen. I figure we'll start with 10 chickens and probably end up with a half dozen. I've never done this before, so I expect casualties.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Finally assembled a Get Home Bag with food, water, and supply, and will toss it in the vehicle anytime I leave home. Still need to buy a good multitool for the bag, maybe the Leatherman Surge will go on sale post-Christmas.
    Check out ebay for used leatherman tools. They're a lot of them that have one scratch somewhere but are otherwise just like new and they're half off the price of new.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Cooking oil is a concern as it can only be stored so long.

There's lot of options out there in individually packed 2oz virgin olive oil packets for backpacking. They look just like a kethup or mustard packet. Maybe those would work for you, but I'm not sure.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've repacked a bug out bag.

Stocked by a store and got a couple of 50# bags of livestock feed. That'd go a long ways to enticing critters into traps if people get that desperate for food. Hoping things don't get that bad, we'll be getting chickens in the spring.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Finally got my armor package all set up how I want it.
    Rotated the dry good storage and will restock some canned goods this weekend as well as some more bottled water

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm stopping by the hardware on the way home and I'm buying a lot of garden seeds.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Still trying to figure out how I am going to get what I want in the new place without having stacks of stuff everywhere.

I think it is time for another purge at the old place.

If only I could afford the pole barn now.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I got the garden seeds last night. $2.50 ish for a pack of seeds. I bought enough to feed my family and help others.

Did a ham radio comms check that was long over due. Things worked, but I could kick myself for not having had that squared away years ago.

Inventoried stored fuel cans and have empty containers in the vehicle to be filled up over lunch.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Following the Capital thing Jan. 6th and all the security theater this week I am kind of spooked.

In the past week have added more Beans, Bullets and Bullion to my inventory. Rotated gas and got some extra containers to fill. Rotated stored water with fresh.

Even told my kid to top off gas tanks and stock water. Normally don’t do this so he doesn’t think I am crazy but felt a warning was appropriate this week.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Moved one of the gun safes to the new place. Since I had everything out anyhow I took pics of all the serial numbers. I am sure I had a couple in there that I missed.

On a side note, it was cold, slick and that thing is too heavy to move solo. I can't imagine the people that have those giant safes. When I got to the new place I pulled into the garage so I would avoid prying eyes.

Non-related but I cleaned out the mechanical room as well and moved the 275 gallon tote where I plan to keep it. Now all I need to do is start filling it.

Still have too much stuff for the new place. The purge is soon.

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    Rotated my stock to here to be eaten first. Organized my other canned foods after rotating. Still actively canning to keep up food stores.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Rotated my stock to here to be eaten first. Organized my other canned foods after rotating. Still actively canning to keep up food stores.
    Your All-American 921 on that back shelf beckons me, lol.

This may be some questionable prepping..................today I received my 24 lbs of Seattle's Best coffee. If I'm going out, it's gonna be with one helluva caffeine buzz. 20210123_141630.jpg 20210123_141636.jpg

dieselmudder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    Wife decided this past week she wants to start carrying an emergency pack. I already put a headlamp, handheld flashlight and Bic lighter in it for her. Also ordered 2 Essentials Kits from Medical Gear Outfitters. One for hers, one for mine.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom