• ...and so much more!
  • Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The wife and I are on Amazon pricing the Auguseon Farms food storage looking to fill in any gaps. Holy ****. We stocked up quite a bit in December/January. The prices of everything we bought have more than doubled. What the ****?

Pickins are slim, and what they have is crazy expensive. What the **** are people going to do?

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    The wife and I are on Amazon pricing the Auguseon Farms food storage looking to fill in any gaps. Holy ****. We stocked up quite a bit in December/January. The prices of everything we bought have more than doubled. What the ****?

Pickins are slim, and what they have is crazy expensive. What the **** are people going to do?
    Well they plan to go to your house of course.

That's what a few of my family members told me when I tried discussing things with them.

We don't talk as much now, especially after I told them if they didn't want to work at it now I wasn't going to work at it for them later.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne

That's what a few of my family members told me when I tried discussing things with them.

My sister-in-law says the same thing, when things get bad, shes coming over to our place. Nothing pisses my wife off more than when she says that.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Hopefully they're going to be storing rice and beans and lots of canned goods like they should have been doing all along rather than spending 10-20x as much on fancy freeze dried food. Yeah, freeze dried is convenient, it's nutritious and fairly tasty and it stores for a long time, but its only real advantage over CHEAP storeable foods is that it's lightweight and easy to move around. I'm not going anywhere.

I can get along indefinitely on a dollar a day with the food I store and could live like a king for $2/day. If anyone wants to give me $30/day worth of freeze dried food that's great,....I'll take ten yrs worth thank you very much,.....but I'm not buying any.

Other than coffee that I snagged for a penny a dose, I don't have anything freeze dried in my storage. And not a single MRE. That stuff is non-viable economically. It's wonderful if you want a couple days or a weeks worth of food storage. Start talking years worth for multiple people and no can do.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Hopefully they're going to be storing rice and beans and lots of canned goods like they should have been doing all along rather than spending 10-20x as much on fancy freeze dried food. Yeah, freeze dried is convenient, it's nutritious and fairly tasty and it stores for a long time, but its only real advantage over CHEAP storeable foods is that it's lightweight and easy to move around. I'm not going anywhere.

I can get along indefinitely on a dollar a day with the food I store and could live like a king for $2/day. If anyone wants to give me $30/day worth of freeze dried food that's great,....I'll take ten yrs worth thank you very much,.....but I'm not buying any.

Other than coffee that I snagged for a penny a dose, I don't have anything freeze dried in my storage. And not a single MRE. That stuff is non-viable economically. It's wonderful if you want a couple days or a weeks worth of food storage. Start talking years worth for multiple people and no can do.
    A lot of people add in that stuff for sanity’s sake. Could you really eat rice and beans for years?

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    A lot of people add in that stuff for sanity’s sake. Could you really eat rice and beans for years?
    As base calories, sure. Store rice/beans/pasta in huge quantities for basic calorage. Store cans/bottles/jars of soups/sauces/condiments to make it into something. You can purchase enough rice/beans/pasta for one hundred dollars to keep you alive AND heathy for a year. If you want to remain sane, add another hundred or so for spices, curries, soups and gravies to make it 'interesting and tasty'. Throughout history and even into the current day, most of the people on Earth have existed on a single starch for their basic survival, sweeping up crumbs to make it palatable. We can do a lot better than that for practically nothing, but not forever.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

I'm not hardwired to say no to people, but this is a good reminder for me to review my "Rules for refugees" that I keep printouts of in case something bad happens and people show up.

For example, the first paragraph of the "Rules for Refugees", goes something like this.

"You are free. My family and I are free. You are not a slave, or indentured servant, and do not have to be here. You are free to leave at any time with what you brought with you, but so long as you are seeking refuge in my home using the provisions that my family has sacrificed to accumulate then you will follow these rules or be asked/told to leave."

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    You sir are a much better person than I am now.

Used to be I would welcome any that needed it. Now I am in the why didn't you prepare for anything mode.

If someone were to show up and I thought they were really clueless maybe... but the ones I have already talked to and was shunned by can live with the consequences.

As I get older I just don't have as many F's to give I guess.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You sir are a much better person than I am now.

Used to be I would welcome any that needed it. Now I am in the why didn't you prepare for anything mode.

If someone were to show up and I thought they were really clueless maybe... but the ones I have already talked to and was shunned by can live with the consequences.

As I get older I just don't have as many F's to give I guess.
    The rest of my list isn't very nice, but my number 1 prep is remembering I have to answer to God for everything I do in this life and I've already got a long enough list of things I've got to answer for without adding more to it.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Anyone getting that odd twitchy feeling talking with people recently? Like people coming up to you with questions or to confirm you are a 'like minded individual'?

Had a gal from church ask about firearms and fessed up to having her cash budget for a purchase just didn't know what to get; had another who said her hubs had gotten her one but she hadn't fired it in years and didn't know what it was. By the time the conversation ended, it was decided that we are going to a range in the next few days for some training.

Tonight had a neighbor stop to chat with the hubs and quickly turned the conversation to 'like minded thought' specifically referencing his Don't Tread on Me flag. We've seen this guy in passing and knew where he lived and general observations about his family being squared away, but hadn't spoken previously. The hubs doesn't exactly give off this 'come and chat with me' vibe and happened to be sharpening a chain at the time. Nice enough guy, he seemed to just want to confirm that there was an understanding on our street that our homes would be defended if ever a need arose...

Just makes me a bit twitchy because these conversations are coming up far more frequently in my world. I've got another gal from work who's been asking a bunch of questions and wants to purchase her first firearm after some range time. Feels like there's been a shift and maybe some of the sheeple are starting to wake up a little. Wondering if this is happening to anyone else?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Anyone getting that odd twitchy feeling talking with people recently? Like people coming up to you with questions or to confirm you are a 'like minded individual'?

Had a gal from church ask about firearms and fessed up to having her cash budget for a purchase just didn't know what to get; had another who said her hubs had gotten her one but she hadn't fired it in years and didn't know what it was. By the time the conversation ended, it was decided that we are going to a range in the next few days for some training.

Tonight had a neighbor stop to chat with the hubs and quickly turned the conversation to 'like minded thought' specifically referencing his Don't Tread on Me flag. We've seen this guy in passing and knew where he lived and general observations about his family being squared away, but hadn't spoken previously. The hubs doesn't exactly give off this 'come and chat with me' vibe and happened to be sharpening a chain at the time. Nice enough guy, he seemed to just want to confirm that there was an understanding on our street that our homes would be defended if ever a need arose...

Just makes me a bit twitchy because these conversations are coming up far more frequently in my world. I've got another gal from work who's been asking a bunch of questions and wants to purchase her first firearm after some range time. Feels like there's been a shift and maybe some of the sheeple are starting to wake up a little. Wondering if this is happening to anyone else?
    Well...you talk to people... :draw:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

Those moments seem to come and go like waves on a beach. Several will wash up all at once, and then nothing shortly after. Usually, it's right before an election, then once it's over "if their guy won" then people completely take their foot off the gas. If "the other guy" won then it's all doom & gloom, end times, anti-Christ, and the world will be over soon if we don't get them kicked out of office.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I've noticed it too but I kinda go out of my way to only talk with intelligent people. The only place I've gotten a 'random' sampling of public contact is working the gunshows over the last yr and I don't really think gunshow people are a random sample. Even the most obtuse gunshow attendee is head and shoulders above the general public.

Top Bottom