• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    After nearly 3 years Aladdin lamp mantles are back in production. Just recieved my first new ones.
    The lamps are great and also provide 9000 or so BTU of heat in use,so a good backup lighting source. They use around a pint of kerosene every 8 hours. I purchased my first new one(lamp)back in 2011,and have a few. The lack of available mantles had me down to zero backups(they are fragile). So great they are available again.

I also picked up some more colemanfuel for various stoves I have(up to 19 total coleman stoves at this point,still restore them when I have some spare time).Side note for those unaware,naptha is just a slightly more refined coleman fuel and is safe to use in Coleman stoves and lanterns(other than actual kerosene ones which are very rare in the USA). Naptha/coleman fuel is also stable for storage.

https://classiccampstoves.com/ (formerly spiritburner site)

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I ran a test a few years back to see what store beans that I just bought in bags would do for germination. Surprisingly they did quite well. I replanted the beans from those plants and had the black beans come up. The gardener added that to her info as black beans go in a lot of her cooking.
    Nice!

ShimmeringTrees

Amish Jack Wagon
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2023
    Indiana
    Pulled the 100 amp 20 slot subpanel out of the wall and wired in a 200 amp 30 slot sub panel today. Added a generator interlock switch and whole house surge protector. 6 hours work I'm getting slow.
    At least you got to that point. Mines still sitting on the work bench in a pile, getting shuffled from one end to the other.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Bagged grits into long term storage. Don't know grits from Shinola but at 75 cents/5# bag buying the stuff is a no-brainer. Roughly 8000 calories per bag and the five pound bag fits perfectly in a one gallon mylar. I slit the bag and drop in an O2 absorber, slide the thing whole into the mylar bag and seal. Came home from walmart not too long ago with a bunch of heavy plastic tubs that were clearanced and I can get 20 of the mylar bagged grits into each tub with some room to spare. At one hundred pounds per tub they're just barely manageable but they seem to stack fine. Four tubs filled so far, 400#, almost a yr's worth of base calories for a hundred bucks total(food, tubs, mylar and O2 absorbers).

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I was wandering through walmart again yesterday and saw something in the clearance aisle I'd never seen before,....Mountain House freeze dried chicken teriyaki. I thought to myself, man, I should have some of those. Checked the price and they'd been marked 'down' to $8-9. Checked the nutrition label and each package was supposedly two 'servings' at 240 calories each, co 480 per package. To make something close to a 2000 calorie daily amount I'd need four of them, better five. So one single day's calorie requirement would be met for $20 buying 'camping food' from the 'clearance' aisle.

Now I'm NOT saying freeze dried isn't better than grits, but $20 spent on grits feeds you for FOUR MONTHS. I wouldn't want to live for four months on grits alone so I store LOTS of other things, but for base calories, something like grits or rice or beans can cover your basic caloric needs for years for very little money.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    There were two more, I will probably go back tomorrow. I did not notice the one marked $8, the other was still marked $15 but both rang at the lower price.
    If you can go get’em, that’s a great deal by todays standards.

eta: I’m assuming this is for lamps?

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Got two more of my outside cameras on an uninterruptible power supply.

Good sized battery and those are the only things on there. Should last a long while and I don't have to hook that circuit up to the genny for longer outages.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Since last post:

Purchased a different inverter for solar system. Time will tell how this works, but I chatted with the manufacturer online and feel a lot more confident now.

Trained some family members on firearms. Started with safety rules, emergency medical in case they didn't follow the rules, and then safety rules again. Covered weapon manipulations with a variety of pistols, rifles, and shotguns so they'd have some chance of figuring out how a battlefield pick up would work if they had to on the fly.

Helped them zero their weapons, trouble shooted and fixed one of their rifles. Gave them some drills to work on when they got home. Basically weapons manipulations and mag changes. Showed the beauty and majesty of tannerite as a grand finale.

Put away some more silver, and trying not to think of how much life will change when that bubble pops.

Maintaining the chicken flock, and actually need to start selling eggs as my family of 5 now sees on average 7 - 9 eggs per day and we can't consume that much.

Added some more lock picking tools after a young lady at church locked her keys in her car. We talked with the locksmith guy for a half hour and it was an incredible class to learn some things. For all the lock picking gadgetry out there he just used a rubber wedge in the corner of the door and a long bendable stick that looked like glorified brake line tubing.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I watched a kid that worked for a garage bust the window on the wife's boss's car. I was called in to pick the door (again) but she couldn't wait and called the garage to send a guy over. I was literally pulling up to the car and saw the window shatter.

This was many years ago. The new keys they have now I couldn't even pretend to know how to pick those locks.

Every single time I get out of my truck I check to be sure I have my key fob.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I watched a kid that worked for a garage bust the window on the wife's boss's car. I was called in to pick the door (again) but she couldn't wait and called the garage to send a guy over. I was literally pulling up to the car and saw the window shatter.

This was many years ago. The new keys they have now I couldn't even pretend to know how to pick those locks.

Every single time I get out of my truck I check to be sure I have my key fob.
    When I talked with the guy who does this for a living he was all over the place with XYZ cars from these years to those years you have to do "this", and ABC cars with the new chips you have to do "that". It was really educational and there really is an art and science to it that eventually ends in brute force.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Also, I bought a cheap titanium wood stove to play around with and compare to my regular backpacking stove. Time and place for everything.

Attachments

• 20230419_202621.jpg
      20230419_202621.jpg
      510.7 KB · Views: 9

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Been stocking up on antibiotics for emergencies. There may come a day when they're not available or just plain hard to get. You can have a Jase Case of five different antibiotics prescribed to you online. A little spendy, about $260 for the case, but there's a fairly large quantity of everything but the azithromycin. You only get a single course, six pills. To beef up the zithro(and the others)I've been picking up the same thing online from vet suppliers(same thing but I don't really want that discussion right now. If you know, you know). Even the vet meds will require a prescription starting June 1 so I'm getting those orders in under the wire.

You can reorder a Jase Case once a year per person so I have received my second. That's first tier emergency use. The vet meds are second tier. Obviously first tier non-emergency goes to a Dr or hospital while they still exist. Probably never gonna need any of it but that's the definition of 'insurance'.

Top Bottom