• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Just ordered another Freeze Drier machine .........We already have the medium , got a large this time.
    It will do around 15 lbs at a time ..
    They also just came out with an XL ! Claims to process up tp 30-35 pounds of food per batch .

• Love
    Reactions: Mij

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Just ordered another Freeze Drier machine .........We already have the medium , got a large this time.
    It will do around 15 lbs at a time ..
    They also just came out with an XL ! Claims to process up tp 30-35 pounds of food per batch .
    Wow, a second. Been looking at these for years… if that isn’t a testament to how great it is I don’t know what is when they are $3k + each. Are you getting another because you can’t keep up with just one? Or is it the one is none rule in full effect?

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Wow, a second. Been looking at these for years… if that isn’t a testament to how great it is I don’t know what is when they are $3k + each. Are you getting another because you can’t keep up with just one? Or is it the one is none rule in full effect?
    We got our medium back in 2015 , and has certainly served us well . They have worked out some "bugs" if you will , along the way and the newer models do out perform with updated software and some designs changes . That being said , our old model still works , just not as efficiently and we have had to replace a few items that do just wear out and will continue to do so .
    We decided to bump up to the large as we know we can easily feed it a manageable amount of product ......
    For example , @2in1evtime mentioned doing 80 eggs in a batch ......our medium size can do 16 liquid cups of eggs ( about 6 dozen ) at a time . The large can almost double the capacity . 12 dozen eggs is a lot to process but manageable .
    The XL model is almost 4x`s the medium . I doubt we could or want to try and process almost 300 eggs at a time, let alone that much in any other product ( ex. 30 lbs chicken in one setting )
    There are a lot of good forums on the Harvest Right on FB with experience from real people .

Reactions: Mij

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Unintentional rice storage test. Short background: I live in a duplex that is a 3 Br on one side and a 1 Br on the other. There are connecting doors and I haven't rented out the small side for 10 years or so. When I moved to the large side I kept the small side vacant for gun stuff, storage, etc.

I buy and consume brown rice mainly. Cooking dinner last night the daughter asked for white rice. I had none then remembered seeing some next door. Walked over and sitting on the kitchen counter was a 5 lb bag of white rice in the original thin plastic bag, inside a gallon zipp lock bag. It had been sitting out on the counter like that since 2013 or so.

Dumped 2 cups of rinsed off rice in the rice cooker with water and a little seasoning and it came out perfect, fresh and delicious tasting.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Unintentional rice storage test. Short background: I live in a duplex that is a 3 Br on one side and a 1 Br on the other. There are connecting doors and I haven't rented out the small side for 10 years or so. When I moved to the large side I kept the small side vacant for gun stuff, storage, etc.

I buy and consume brown rice mainly. Cooking dinner last night the daughter asked for white rice. I had none then remembered seeing some next door. Walked over and sitting on the kitchen counter was a 5 lb bag of white rice in the original thin plastic bag, inside a gallon zipp lock bag. It had been sitting out on the counter like that since 2013 or so.

Dumped 2 cups of rinsed off rice in the rice cooker with water and a little seasoning and it came out perfect, fresh and delicious tasting.

This good tool hear. I've been doing the keto thing for the last five years. So no rice or beans for me.

Still, I have a few gallon jugs of white rice stuck away in the back of the storage area.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

This is why one of the things we have stored in sealed drums is over a 1/4 ton of rice...

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    You guys storing this amount of rice….. I’m assuming you’re using food grade plastic drums? Do you literally just pour the rice in put in o2 absorber seal the lid and that’s it? Since they are food grade long term contact with your food is no concern?

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    You guys storing this amount of rice….. I’m assuming you’re using food grade plastic drums? Do you literally just pour the rice in put in o2 absorber seal the lid and that’s it? Since they are food grade long term contact with your food is no concern?
    We buy the 5 gallon size Mylar bags , place them in a bucket and add 25lbs of ( rice , beans , wheat berries , etc ) add the proper sized O2 absorbers and seal . We really use the bucket to protect the bag and keep it possible rodents out .....and saves some room by being able to stack . With heavy duty lids , we feel safe stacking 5 high .
    I think one of the main things for storing food long term , is maintaining a consistent temperature . ( Low humidity, cool temps)
    Also think having many smaller storage vessels is better than a few large . I would hate to have a drum of something be breached and lose 100`s of lbs of product , would rather risk losing just a bucket or 2 if something were to happen ......plus easier to move around .

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Friend found me a Montgomery Ward / Magic Seal 7-16 pressure canner. $20. About the same size as my All American 916 (Same friend found that also and gave it to me a few years ago!) Came with everything it originally came with except 2 half baskets which I probably wouldn’t use. The owner’s manual is dated January 1945. Will put in a new seal (.25 in the owners manual, $10 today) and blow out plug (.10 in the owners manual, $4 today). Hopefully the pressure gauge works ($1.50 in the owners manual, $25 today). Prev owner made one of the lid handles (.30 in the owners manual, $10 today). I may have to paint that. Amazing how available parts still are for these old cookers. 061332EB-3218-44EA-B1E4-C0342018A4EF.jpeg

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Friend found me a Montgomery Ward / Magic Seal 7-16 pressure canner. $20. About the same size as my All American 916 (Same friend found that also and gave it to me a few years ago!) Came with everything it originally came with except 2 half baskets which I probably wouldn’t use. The owner’s manual is dated January 1945. Will put in a new seal (.25 in the owners manual, $10 today) and blow out plug (.10 in the owners manual, $4 today). Hopefully the pressure gauge works ($1.50 in the owners manual, $25 today). Prev owner made one of the lid handles (.30 in the owners manual, $10 today). I may have to paint that. Amazing how available parts still are for these old cookers. View attachment 255890
    Our local ag. office tests pressure gages for free. Check your local county ag. extinction office.

edit: **** spell check, extension office

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Friend found me a Montgomery Ward / Magic Seal 7-16 pressure canner. $20. About the same size as my All American 916 (Same friend found that also and gave it to me a few years ago!) Came with everything it originally came with except 2 half baskets which I probably wouldn’t use. The owner’s manual is dated January 1945. Will put in a new seal (.25 in the owners manual, $10 today) and blow out plug (.10 in the owners manual, $4 today). Hopefully the pressure gauge works ($1.50 in the owners manual, $25 today). Prev owner made one of the lid handles (.30 in the owners manual, $10 today). I may have to paint that. Amazing how available parts still are for these old cookers. View attachment 255890
    Went through and gave the cooker a new seal, plug some TLC and ran it up to about 20# on the 1946 vintage gauge before it started venting.
    7C24671F-FC6D-4769-BA53-44E30B8E5F2D.jpeg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    We're going to give these a try. Long term storage & viability and heirloom were the attraction.

I ran a test a few years back to see what store beans that I just bought in bags would do for germination. Surprisingly they did quite well. I replanted the beans from those plants and had the black beans come up. The gardener added that to her info as black beans go in a lot of her cooking.

Top Bottom