• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've started to release a few pheasants on the property. I know the odds aren't in their favor, but it's something I'd like to start doing each year to repopulate the area. This year it'll be 20 birds. Maybe next year we'll raise them from chicks and release a lot more. If just a handful survive and start to reproduce on their own, I'll call it a win.

After some conversations with my wife she's been noticing everything going on the world lately too. We're going to be stacking up on some canned meats, veggies, etc and get on a routine of cycling that food in and out of the meal planning.

Going to get my garden seeds for next year soon. This year our garden just sucked. Next year we'll have a few more lessons learned and I plan to go with what I know grows well in our area, but also gets left alone by the wildlife.

Got some firewood delivered. I plan to get some more as well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've started to release a few pheasants on the property. I know the odds aren't in their favor, but it's something I'd like to start doing each year to repopulate the area. This year it'll be 20 birds. Maybe next year we'll raise them from chicks and release a lot more. If just a handful survive and start to reproduce on their own, I'll call it a win.

What a great thing!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I bought a case (12 cans at 13oz) of Grabill meats canned beef and another in chicken. Both were $90 each. I'd guessing that in a year from now the price will be closer to $150 each. With all my prepping I've been focusing on longer term foods, but I'm shifting focus to canned foods that I can start to cycle out more frequently. I'm figuring, one can or either meat, a can of some veggies, a cut up onion, some salt and pepper in the bushpot over the fire and that'd feed the family for a solid nutritious meal with a side of instant mashed potatoes.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    This past week I've added 2 more 40# propane tanks. Rotated and restocked can goods. Added some more spices and seasonings to storage.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    How does this fit into the “prep” side? Is it for defense? Room to shoot? Room for gardens? I’m not questioning you, but you’ve got my interest up!
    Clearing the line and stacking the cut brush and sapling creates better habitat for wildlife.
    Thicker cover for birds and bunnies.
    Ill be able to introduce more wild berries.
    As an added bonus I'll be able to keep my hayfields as big as possible.
    It's easier to see than explain.
    My lower field where this takes place is divided into multi use areas with an access to the river.
    The tree line/ fence line has been encroaching onto the river access forcing me to cut into my hayfield.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Since last post:

I've up my gym attendance to 5 days a week. So far so good.

I stocked up on some 1# propane tanks in addition to what I already have. These feed my Mr Heater Big Buddy heater if I need to keep pipes from freezing and will run a small grill. They're just a versatile thing to have around.

I stocked up on a few more backpacking stove fuel cans. These cans are plentiful and cheap at the moment and can be used to heat up meals at home. If things ever get that bad I'll likely be cooking over the fire, but again these could warm up a room a little bit and are more geared towards backpacking stoves. Added versatility in fuels and stoves.

I was down to three chickens and since they're bantams they add up to almost 1 whole egg laying chicken. I added 4 more full sized real chickens recently and if the three I raised get territorial I'd place my bets on the four new chickens that are 2 to 3 times their size. I hope the introduction of the new chickens goes well, but ultimately I'm after some real egg laying food producers not some cute little birds putting out ping pong ball sized eggs.

Last night I had a close call with a bad dog. Absolutely the closest I've ever come to being attacked by a dog, and I say that as a guy who grew up as a kid riding my bike past Amish houses where their dogs would try to nip at you if they could. I'd been to the gym in the morning before work, and was finishing off a 2 mile ruck with my 6 month pup where we were keeping sub 16 minute miles. It was a pop quiz legit fight or flight response event and I'm glad with how I handled it after a long day.

We've been having some great discussions amongst some of the neighbors. I think we've got more like minded people on board than I ever expected.

Top Bottom