• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The new place doesn't have as much space for storage as the old one. I told the wife I was going to sell off some of my cases of MREs. She said no way, they are paid for and don't cost anything extra to store.... just in case.

Then she started asking me why I was selling off other items, including ammo. If I am not careful my furniture will be made of full ammo cans stacked in different variations.
    Cool. Ammo modern.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I pointed to Texas on the TV screen and said to my wife "... and that's why I keep buying food and propane."

My ammo money has become food money since I'm not paying those ridiculous ammo prices, so the stockpile is actually building up pretty fast.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I pointed to Texas on the TV screen and said to my wife "... and that's why I keep buying food and propane."

My ammo money has become food money since I'm not paying those ridiculous ammo prices, so the stockpile is actually building up pretty fast.
    Good reminder. I need to refill 2 propane tanks.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I bought about 5 boxes of legit military MREs. Menu a. I think I have roughly seven boxes now so I hope I’m good there. About to clean out my basement storage and get things organized.
    Hey MRE's only have 6 year shelf life and typically they're 1 to 2 years old before you buy them. Keep them stored in the parameters suggested on the case. I prefer Wise food or something similar. Remember nitrogen!!! Good stable shelf food is vacuum packed with nitrogen pulled in at the end. This gives it the 25 year shelf life.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Hey MRE's only have 6 year shelf life and typically they're 1 to 2 years old before you buy them. Keep them stored in the parameters suggested on the case. I prefer Wise food or something similar. Remember nitrogen!!! Good stable shelf food is vacuum packed with nitrogen pulled in at the end. This gives it the 25 year shelf life.
    Thanks. Yes these were packed in 2018. I keep them in my basement which is cool and dry.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    That's news to me about MREs. Where did you get this info? I guess I need to do some new research. I have eaten them much older than that with no problems, taste or otherwise.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Bought and put up another hundred pounds of hard wheat berries. Also got my spring garden going already, I should be eating fresh tomatoes by April thanks to some indoor grow lights and some 5 gallon buckets

also Need to go get a refill on a propane tank I burned keeping garage above freezing during the cold snap.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bought and put up another hundred pounds of hard wheat berries. Also got my spring garden going already, I should be eating fresh tomatoes by April thanks to some indoor grow lights and some 5 gallon buckets

also Need to go get a refill on a propane tank I burned keeping garage above freezing during the cold snap.
    Seriously....fresh maters by April.......Man I am jelly.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If I could store it, I would use my farmer contacts to just get several hundred bushels as a group buy. Stupid logistics limitations
    I don’t have anywhere or way to store. With the price of wheat rising especially if prepackaged in food grade buckets it would probably be quite the business to get into. If for any reason you do get a bulk deal I’d certainly be interested. Wheats the bulk of my food storage calories.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Picked up a 10,000 starting 8,000 running generac generator last week. Along with a reliance controls transfer switch. Figured if I was digging into the breaker box it was time to upgrade that also. Went back for a 200 amp breaker box and meter base. Currently have a 100amp 20 space box with two spaces left unoccupied.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seriously....fresh maters by April.......Man I am jelly.
    We've done the vegetables in the greenhouse thing to see if we could do it, tomatoes, and lettuce pictured here with some sort of yellow raspberries. You can grow it if you can heat it. Like many of my prep projects they give me a format to use if I need it, but aren't worth me doing it all the time, hence the greenhouse fills up with the gardeners flowering annuals and we buy the vegetables.

Attachments

• maters.jpg
      maters.jpg
      410.6 KB · Views: 7
    • greenhouseplants.jpg
      greenhouseplants.jpg
      503.3 KB · Views: 7
    Top Bottom