What have you been working on to improve your defensive abilities?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Don't forget to work that into your home dry fire routine. Including the draw and holstering from/on strong side.

Of course! That was mostly what I was referring to, as I can dry fire far more frequently than live (though I intend to apply single/weak-hand to both). But yeah, haven’t done that one in awhile!

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    As far as shooting. For years (like back in the 80’s with Marahal and Sanows book) even expert marksman hovered around 20 som percent hit ratios in LE Shootings Bakersfield California PD has about an 80% hit ratio. How do they become more proficient? They have their qualifications but on top of that every 2 weeks each officer goes to the range and shoots a 10 round course.

Most folks would improve more by doing this instead of just doing the 400 round ballistic masterbation session

Attachments

• B38EADE9-8670-45DA-9DE1-A2518B1796C0.jpeg
      B38EADE9-8670-45DA-9DE1-A2518B1796C0.jpeg
      44.1 KB · Views: 8

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    As far as shooting. For years (like back in the 80’s with Marahal and Sanows book) even expert marksman hovered around 20 som percent hit ratios in LE Shootings Bakersfield California PD has about an 80% hit ratio. How do they become more proficient? They have their qualifications but on top of that every 2 weeks each officer goes to the range and shoots a 10 round course.

Most folks would improve more by doing this instead of just doing the 400 round ballistic masterbation session

I wonder if they still do something similar and still have a high hit ratio. As Tom Givens likes to say, your training/practice needs to be Relevant, recent, and realistic. This seems to fit the bill. If you look at that qual it is not easy. To have a whole department trained up to a level where they could pass that on the regular is no small feat. I strongly suspect you could take this to just about any department around the country and spring it on their line officers and would have a very low pass rate. Same thing with "average" self defense gun carriers.

I take a little exception to your 400 round comment. I would definitely shoot that much if I could afford to.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I wonder if they still do something similar and still have a high hit ratio. As Tom Givens likes to say, your training/practice needs to be Relevant, recent, and realistic. This seems to fit the bill. If you look at that qual it is not easy. To have a whole department trained up to a level where they could pass that on the regular is no small feat. I strongly suspect you could take this to just about any department around the country and spring it on their line officers and would have a very low pass rate. Same thing with "average" self defense gun carriers.

I take a little exception to your 400 round comment. I would definitely shoot that much if I could afford to.

The article in the link is May 2 of 2022 and was posted in the Gunsite Academy Facebook page. So it’s pretty current.

The 400 round was just a number I threw out you know the type that run through 10 mags rapid like a John Wick scene aka that whole accuracy by fire but we called it BM in the Military and Fed agencies

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The article in the link is May 2 of 2022 and was posted in the Gunsite Academy Facebook page. So it’s pretty current.

The 400 round was just a number I threw out you know the type that run through 10 mags rapid like a John Wick scene aka that whole accuracy by fire but we called it BM in the Military and Fed agencies
    From the Greg Ellefritz article. A lot of good info there.

In 2016 — long after Waidelich retired — Kern County law enforcement killed more people in the line of duty than any other county in the country, many much more populous. (Bakersfield is in west Kern County.) I believe this statistic is the result of three factors:

1) a relatively conservative political district where cops don’t automatically get fired for using their weapons,

2) a target rich environment full of gang bangers and oilfield roughnecks, and

3) the lasting influence of Mike Waidelich’s cutting-edge training.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    From the Greg Ellefritz article. A lot of good info there.

In 2016 — long after Waidelich retired — Kern County law enforcement killed more people in the line of duty than any other county in the country, many much more populous. (Bakersfield is in west Kern County.) I believe this statistic is the result of three factors:

1) a relatively conservative political district where cops don’t automatically get fired for using their weapons,

2) a target rich environment full of gang bangers and oilfield roughnecks, and

3) the lasting influence of Mike Waidelich’s cutting-edge training.
    Yes Bakersfield/Kern County area is lucky to have conservatives running things. I would hate to be an LE in LA. From hearing Darryl Bolkie talk about his contacts there the DAs are watering at the mouth to charge an Officer.

Taking a one of Greg Ellifritz classes is on my list

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    As to answering the original question,

Twice daily joint mobility, flexibility, light calisthenics routines. Joint mobility becomes extremely limited as we age but it is a big help if you stay on top of it. I need to try to do more cardio.

Time for another diet revision. My diet while at home is good, but work related needs modifications. I am down to once or twice a week fast food but would like to eliminate that completely.

I am signed up for a Lee Weems class in June, and an Emergency Medical class in August. Will probably do a low light in October.

As for shooting, I dry practice every day I don't live fire and I live fire 1 to 3 times a week depending on how matches fall.

Situational awareness is a constant work in progress.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Twice daily joint mobility, flexibility, light calisthenics routines. Joint mobility becomes extremely limited as we age but it is a big help if you stay on top of it. I need to try to do more cardio...

The more I work on this the better I am. I also pay for it pretty dearly when I get lazy.

I am more and more aware of those middle-aged and older surrounding us that are just waiting on the next drug regiment and or surgery to keep them upright.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Mossy Shockwave loaded with #4 birdshot. Living in the city with slugs and buckshot scares me. I've tested #4 birdshot before and it is deadly

Mossy Shockwave loaded with #4 birdshot. Living in the city with slugs and buckshot scares me. I've tested #4 birdshot before and it is deadly
    Cool. Do you shoot it something like this?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Wonder how much the RDS accentuates that little scattergun?
    At the risk of straying too far from the OP, quite a bit I would say. Especially if you plan on shooting it correctly, ie not from the hip. I am ordering an Airdus CROM for my 1301 and will throw one of the red dots on it I have sitting around. I have even toyed with the idea of getting a birds head grip for it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    At the risk of straying too far from the OP, quite a bit I would say. Especially if you plan on shooting it correctly, ie not from the hip. I am ordering an Airdus CROM for my 1301 and will throw one of the red dots on it I have sitting around. I have even toyed with the idea of getting a birds head grip for it.

Ooooh, please put us a link here when you post up your review of that sweet setup. :yesway:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I practice my verbal skills frequently. The easiest fight to win is one you never have. I train BJJ 5-6 days a week with a couple of those days focused on competition training. I compete in BJJ on a national level frequently. The ability to perform under pressure is VITAL in all aspects of life, self defense just being one of them. I practice shooting a few times a year and I'm better than most. But it is easy to practice shooting and NOTHING else, being woefully unprepared for all but the most unlikely scenarios. If your firearms training doesn't include force on force simunition training, you'll never know how your shooting skills will diminish under actual stress, someone shooting back at you.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I practice my verbal skills frequently. The easiest fight to win is one you never have. I train BJJ 5-6 days a week with a couple of those days focused on competition training. I compete in BJJ on a national level frequently. The ability to perform under pressure is VITAL in all aspects of life, self defense just being one of them. I practice shooting a few times a year and I'm better than most. But it is easy to practice shooting and NOTHING else, being woefully unprepared for all but the most unlikely scenarios. If your firearms training doesn't include force on force simunition training, you'll never know how your shooting skills will diminish under actual stress, someone shooting back at you.
    Under stress is where the training you put in pays off.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    So I mentioned the need for more cardio. That was reinforced last night in a 2 gun match with a lot of movement. Still did better than the guys 100 pounds heavier than me, but I was out of breath. Cardio is good for running away, and fighting. Ever notice how gassed you get when fighting?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Ever notice how gassed you get when fighting?
    The adrenaline dump is VERY taxing on your body and can burn through your energy stores very quickly. You can train yourself to adjust to it but it never goes away. Training yourself to stay in your high brain will allow you to work smarter, not harder. Our default response is low brain, primal instincts. I remember my first competition matches left me exhausted, shaking, and ZERO muscle endurance. My forearms were smoked from all the grip fighting. 6 years and 30+ competitions later and I when I'm in a match competing, I'm relaxed, looking around, keeping my ears open to my coach in my corner. That learned ability translates to all aspects of daily life. Now I don't get gassed unless it's a match with a "monster" of a man...and they are certainly out there.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    So I mentioned the need for more cardio. That was reinforced last night in a 2 gun match with a lot of movement. Still did better than the guys 100 pounds heavier than me, but I was out of breath. Cardio is good for running away, and fighting. Ever notice how gassed you get when fighting?
    I haven't been to many competitions with long stages with a lot of running and movement so I can't say i've gotten too tired from a shooting match except for my first ever one. Steel match at HHRP. Loads of fun but I was nervous during it and super tired afterwards. And that was a steel match, no movement at all. I think it was just nerves.

The closest i've been to fighting longer than 30 seconds was wrestling through school. Unbelievably tiring compared to every other sport I've tried except maybe distance swimming. But a 6 minute wrestling match felt like an eternity if I wasn't in top shape.

Many have mentioned BJJ. A good friend who just got his blue belt has been pushing me to come to the gym but the membership is expensive. Getting a new job in August, with the raise in pay I'll have no excuses.

I'm glad this thread has a focus on physical fitness and the mental aspects of self defense because that's where I think the vast majority of focus should be when it comes to defensive training.
    ...it is easy to practice shooting and NOTHING else, being woefully unprepared for all but the most unlikely scenarios...
    Agreed, it's too easy to shoot and do not much else as far as defensive practice. Shooting is fun. Many other aspects of defensive training aren't nearly as fun, at least not when you're starting out.

Top Bottom