What have you been working on to improve your defensive abilities?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I haven't been seriously shooting in a couple of years. Mostly its lack of time, the expense and a waning interest.

I tend to agree with Denny347 that the shooting part gets a lot of focus. I also feel I get a lot of value from BJJ. I'm not at his level and I don't compete very often, but even just doing randori in the gym provides the same benefits to a lesser degree.

Recently I've taken up Judo on the days I don't do BJJ. I've always wanted to learn to throw people and hit those sweet foot sweeps. I'm getting old enough that starting a hobby where you get thrown on the floor repeatedly is only getting harder. So I figured I better start now. I competed in the Indiana State Judo Tournament yesterday and got Silver in my age/skill/weight division. The competition was fun and grabbing ahold of a guy who is trying to throw you on your head seems like some worthwhile training to me.

My other goals this year are to update my medical training and, like Cedartop, improve my flexibility, mobility, and general conditioning. I've noticed that sitting in office chairs and driving too much has made my hips and legs very tight and I really need to put some focus on that.

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    What have you been doing to improve/maintain your defensive abilities? Purpose of this thread is to share ideas that may be useful to others.
    Including but not limited to:
    -Martial arts
    -Less than lethal weapons stuff
    -Shooting / firearms stuff
    -Situational awareness
    -Communication/social skills... e.g. "talking down" situations instead of escalating them
    -etc.
    Great question(s)...I've been working on developing the following skills...
    1. Less than lethal stuff...Pepper Spray understanding proper use and obtaining training.
    2. Developing Situational Awareness knowledge, recognition, and training...
    3. Verbal Judo...using proper verbal response and tone to talk down or through situations in lieu of escalating them...

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Besides pistol sight acquisition, I’ve been working on physical fitness. Core and upper body work that I haven’t focused on regularly in the past. I don’t run miles like I used to be able to, so I’ll be getting the mountain bike out again soon.
    I rejoined a gym June 1st...first time in nearly 15 years...can't say I'm not sore, but am feelin' good about it too! Going to start back on the bike this next week...I'd like to get back in shape sufficient enough to be able to complete a few short-distance Xterra Events.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Great question(s)...I've been working on developing the following skills...
    1. Less than lethal stuff...Pepper Spray understanding proper use and training.
    2. Developing Situational Awareness knowledge, recognition, and training...
    3. Verbal Judo...using proper verbage and tone to talk down or through situations in lieu of escalating them...
    pepper / OC spray training is something i need to learn more about. I can set up some targets and practice draw, get more familiar with effective range, wind, etc. But i'm guessing there's more to it than that

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Cossack Systema but I can only learn so much from DVD's, online seminars and doing my own training with my limited knowledge. I'd love to train in Toronto.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Looking through this thread again and I like seeing so many people striving to be better today that they were yesterday. Even if it's just a little bit. Great stuff people!!!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Sadly, I am waiting on a Cataract surgery that has been pushed back since last year because of covid. The eye that routinely aimed an iron sighted Palma rifle 800, 900, and 1000 yards is now reduced to hitting a man sized silhouette at 50 feet with a revolver. If the attacker is farther, I am in "spray and pray" or shotgun mode.

Good thing the longest shot in my house is 35 feet.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    Been working on overall fitness and core strength since recovering from my second hip replacement. Moderate lifting and some limited running. Started doing Yoga classes to get back some flexibility. Still competing with rifle and pistol from time to time. Will be attending a Scott Jedlinski RDS class in September. Have contemplated doings some BJJ but am concerned about potential injuries at 60. Most of my prior training (years ago) was Judo based. Feels really good to be back at it after several years of dealing with injuries.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Back to the OP:

Strength training 3 to 4x weekly

I try to shoot local friendly matches when I can, but that's not all that frequently. Maybe once a quarter. It's typically the only time I can do any dynamic shooting.

Try to do a lot of slow target shooting at the ranges when I get time.

Aside from that I try to hunt squirrels and deer when I can. I've found that hunting live animals that want to stay that way trains me to relax when I've got an animal in the scope, and to be situationally aware.

I'm self employed and a dad of 3 boys all under 8. So needless to say my time is very limited.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    pepper / OC spray training is something i need to learn more about. I can set up some targets and practice draw, get more familiar with effective range, wind, etc. But i'm guessing there's more to it than that
    I picked up my Instructor's Certificate for SABRE Pepper Spray a few months back...
    There is definitely a few things to learn about Pepper Spray application and use...
    Working on getting set up to instruct others in the proper application and use of pepper spray as an intermediate level of defense, whereas not having to necessarily rely solely on a firearm for self-defense.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Aside from that I try to hunt squirrels and deer when I can. I've found that hunting live animals that want to stay that way trains me to relax when I've got an animal in the scope, and to be situationally aware...

I've been shooting a lot a property pests and garden thieves with airguns and rimfire. It's quite humbling how an "easy shot" can turn into a miss. Critters don't often sit still long, so the balance between precision and quick is critical. Along with remembering to use the proper marksmanship techniques in the throws of "buck fever."

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Have contemplated doings some BJJ but am concerned about potential injuries at 60. Most of my prior training (years ago) was Judo based. Feels really good to be back at it after several years of dealing with injuries.
    I have found that Judo is rougher training, in general, than the average BJJ academy. Judo involves a lot of throwing, falling, and the ground work is done under significant time pressure. BJJ often has a more laid-back culture, and is a bit more scalable to individual fitness levels. This all depends on the type of gym, gym culture, instructor, training partners, personal syle and goals, etc.

If you're fit enough for action shooting competition and weight lifting, you will probably be okay in a BJJ gym. I probably wouldn't recommend Judo to a 60 year old on their second hip surgery due to the impact of the falls, etc. BJJ ground work can be done slower and fluid where throws cannot.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Top Bottom