What have you been working on to improve your defensive abilities?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    What have you been doing to improve/maintain your defensive abilities? Purpose of this thread is to share ideas that may be useful to others.

Including but not limited to:

-Martial arts
    -Less than lethal weapons stuff
    -Shooting / firearms stuff
    -Situational awareness
    -Communication/social skills... e.g. "talking down" situations instead of escalating them
    -etc

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    I'll start with a shooting-related one. I've known for a while now that focusing on the front sight -- as many of us were taught -- Isn't the best way for me to shoot. If I focus on the target(s) I shoot faster and more accurately, and can see more of the surroundings of the target.

The "hard part" is actually remembering to focus on the target when I practice. When gun comes to eye level, my eyes only want to focus on the front sight because that's how I started out. I have to give myself a little cue or reminder right before I draw to get that target focus. Hopefully, with plenty of reps, it'll be second nature soon.

KomradeEli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Castleton (NE Indy)
    I'll start with a shooting-related one. I've known for a while now that focusing on the front sight -- as many of us were taught -- Isn't the best way for me to shoot. If I focus on the target(s) I shoot faster and more accurately, and can see more of the surroundings of the target.

The "hard part" is actually remembering to focus on the target when I practice. When gun comes to eye level, my eyes only want to focus on the front sight because that's how I started out. I have to give myself a little cue or reminder right before I draw to get that target focus. Hopefully, with plenty of reps, it'll be second nature soon.

I have kinda noticed the same thing in myself. I wonder if it’s just lack of practice in my case. With rifles using the sight is definitely better for me, but I do notice that with handguns too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

And thus the great argument for a MRDS on a pistol... :-)

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I’ve been working in more dry fire work as of late, especially since I’m trying to transition to using an RMR on my LTT Elite RDO. Picking up the dot isn’t difficult, but picking it up fast and presenting it right on to the target can be, LOL.

Next I need to get a DFAT for my precision rigs so I can start on those.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    I’ve been working in more dry fire work as of late, especially since I’m trying to transition to using an RMR on my LTT Elite RDO. Picking up the dot isn’t difficult, but picking it up fast and presenting it right on to the target can be, LOL.

Next I need to get a DFAT for my precision rigs so I can start on those.
    What's a DFAT?

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Besides pistol sight acquisition, I’ve been working on physical fitness. Core and upper body work that I haven’t focused on regularly in the past. I don’t run miles like I used to be able to, so I’ll be getting the mountain bike out again soon.
    Awesome. I'm doing the same, focusing more on lower body though. Basketball for cardio
    DFAT

It’s a device that allows magnified optics to focus at extremely close ranges, permitting indoor dry fire training for precision rifle shooters.
    Woah that's cool.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    In the past, I have always found that competition shooting is a real eye opener. The pressure of the timer and balance of speed to accuracy is hard to duplicate.

Icing on the cake is other shooters giving advice and required safe gun handling.

So much all of this!

I haven’t been able to compete anywhere near as much I’d like in recent history due to significant life changes, but I’m itching to get back into it. As the saying goes, “competition validates training.” Want a good way to test how well your training is progressing? Track your performance at matches!

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    In the past, I have always found that competition shooting is a real eye opener. The pressure of the timer and balance of speed to accuracy is hard to duplicate.

Icing on the cake is other shooters giving advice and required safe gun handling.

Agreed! I can shoot at home, but got into a few competitions specifically to experience a safe ‘stressful’ environment. Definitely got my nerves up a bit and experienced some mind fog as soon as I heard the beep!
    Great experience and I’ve met a lot of good people doing it!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Due to the significant increase in ammo prices my actual shooting has gone down quite a bit from 300-400 rounds a week to 100 if I am lucky (about an even mix of rimfire and centerfire).

I would like to shoot more competitions this year , but would like to find some lower round count matches (dropping $100 for one USPSA shoot kinda sucks). So I have been supplementing a lot with dry fire practice which has been fantastic given my switch to MRDS on handguns.

This year I would like to beat the US Air Marshal Qualification using my carry gun a P365X and attempt the Modern Samurai Project Black Belt Standards with my Staccato P.

Over the last 2 years I have totally converted everything defensive to red dots and I have to say I am a total believer at this point. My only real "want" is a duplicate of my P365X just to have a spare

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Stamina. I don't want to be the guy that gasses out after 30 seconds of stressful exertion. I was that guy a year ago, weighing 220 lbs, and no cardio.... Now, at 55 years old, I'm at 170 lbs and I can keep going. All day long.

I’m beginning to do the same. I’m in my mid-30s and feel when I compete that I’m held back often by my lack of physical stamina. It sucks to clean a stage and find out you’re still below the top finishers on that stage because you couldn’t handle the same level of exertion as the folks in better shape!

Last edited:

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    I'll join the crowd that's talking about fitness. I've moved the diet to something closer to Keto, started going to bed by 10-10:30, leaving the phone overnight in the office, lightening up on the booze (ooh, that's a tough one) and following Mark Rippetoe's Novice Linear Progression 3 days a week in the gym (roughly speaking add 5 lbs per day to your work sets of squats, deads, presses, and bench) for realistic and practical strength gains.

Next on the list: join a ruck club and get back into boxing.

I guess I need to fit some shootin' practice/training in there too.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm always working on the fundamentals of marksmanship. I also work on shooting one-handed with the strong and weak hand. I use turning targets with a time limit, unless working strictly on accuracy at distances. I also try to be aware of my surroundings.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom