• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I agree in principle, but if I have my taser in hand when the perp draws a gun, I'm not going to waste time switching out weapons.

Not saying that at all. From the time that the first officer was on scene, it was known that the bad guy had a gun. At that point, it's not taser time.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    They should have ended it by throwing a flashbang on him.
    o608poP.gif

(I might still be in the 4th of July spirit)

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    There is plenty to be learned from that video. Taser guy had his head in the game from the beginning. From the video, on my phone, it's questionable if the other two officers even fired.

Roger, the far officer was on the radio, running for cover, and straight into the line of fire from the third officer. I'm just glad the good guys are ok. I want to know the rest of the story. You can watch a video 10 times and think you know what happened, only to be proven wrong. Ready for the rest of the story

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Yes after viewing the footage several more times.
    The arm of the bad guy was responding to his weapon firing.
    I did see one police shot hitting the wall and one the sidewalk.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So end result was good, bad guy gone and no police or public injured.

1. Observe that when a person is getting shot at or in the close proximity of a gunfight a person will typically recoil often retreating. It’s kinda of a natural startled response IMO.

2. The Officer to the left runs behind the building while talking on radio, not a uncommon response to wanna get out of they way and reassess the situation. Sometimes the direction you move puts you in a worse situation like in the line of fire.

3. A pistol is not a effective weapon unless you hit a “off” switch blood loss takes awhile. Humans can take a surprising amount of punishment and keep on ticking. Pistol calibers in common use do not have the hydrostatic shock effect among other things like splintering of bones and yawing of a 5.56,7.62x39 rifles kill people and end fights a load of 00 buck is also a show stopper.

4. Notice the flailing legs IME a trait of reflex kicking when a person is bleeding out.

So no criticism stuff happens and you can never be fully prepared for every situation just observations.

1. Training while shooting on the move is a critical skill you may be moving unconsciously and have to shoot backward, left, right, and forward FAST!

2. Many people have never been exposed to gunfire at close range it can be very exciting.

3. Realistic force on force training is invaluable it lets a person not only understand your personal reactions but observe the reactions of others.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Was not aware of that change. That is a damn shame.
    LEOs should always have that option available.

There's been a transition to AR-15s. Out of the blue a year or so ago, my department collected al of our shotguns and sold or traded them off. I still couldn't tell you what was behind that move, but the people that made that decision sit in an office all day.

I'm pretty sure the shotgun is going on the way side state wide. I know ILEA can hardly fill a shotgun instructor class. The last one I helped with only had eight students. There's a wait for the patrol rifle courses.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Don't know if statistics are kept, but it would be interesting to know if the presence of a shotgun pointing at a potential shooter discourages them taking the chance in a draw and shoot situation like this. Granted to win against three trained opponents he would have to have Hollywood speed and accuracy.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    There's been a transition to AR-15s. Out of the blue a year or so ago, my department collected al of our shotguns and sold or traded them off. I still couldn't tell you what was behind that move, but the people that made that decision sit in an office all day.

I'm pretty sure the shotgun is going on the way side state wide. I know ILEA can hardly fill a shotgun instructor class. The last one I helped with only had eight students. There's a wait for the patrol rifle courses.

Isn't it because of the 1997 North Hollywood shootout that most departments got rifles instead of shotguns?

The bad guys had body armor.The cops only 9mm handguns and shotguns.
    They had to go to local gun stores to borrow rifles during the shooting.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'm wondering if this whole thing was suicide by cop and the guy was psyching himself up to to make it happen. It's a @#$% to do to the officers responding, trying to goad them into killing you because you don't want to do it to yourself.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Isn't it because of the 1997 North Hollywood shootout that most departments got rifles instead of shotguns?

The bad guys had body armor.The cops only 9mm handguns and shotguns.
    They had to go to local gun stores to borrow rifles during the shooting.

I meant my department specifically taking our shotguns despite already having patrol rifles. They didn't trade them in for more rifles, so I have no idea what was behind that move from the bean counters.

Top Bottom