• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Kaw Valley .625 barrel dimple jig for 3 set screw Faxon gas block.
    I dimpled a barrel last year. That turned into a frustrating challenge until I found and bought a drill bit that could handle the hardened steel barrel and its hardened finish. The bit was ostensibly made for drilling tempered glass. Ultimately got it done.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Bought a pair of Smith Enterprise G-6A2 Vortex flash hiders for my 16" AR-15 barrels. They will replace the Mil-Spec A2 bird cages on them. These have been used on U.S. military M16 and M4 rifles as a retrofit performed at a unit commander's discretion. They have an NSN and are readily available in the supply system. Considered to be a substantial improvement in flash suppression compared to the A1 and A2 bird cages, and their diameter allows the M7, M9 and OKC3S bayonets to be mounted and used on the firearms. Crush washers are not supposed to be used with them, nor are any spacers. Muzzle blast tightens them and keeps them tightened on the barrel. There are also A3 and A4 variants, primarily made for use with silencers, but can be used stand-alone. The A2 is sufficient for me. Found out about them looking for better AR-15 16" barrel flash suppression. Several comparison videos testing them against the A1 and A2 bird cages were all it took to convince me to get them. There is also a variant predrilled for "pin and weld" to get a 14.5" barrel over 16". Those come with a pin.

Vortex_Flash_Hider.jpg

A half-dozen gray 30-round Series 2 Hexmag magazines. I bought one some time ago and found them to be a super alternative to the Magpul PMAG Gen M2 - of which I have eight if my memory still works. Some lowers are finicky about the PMAG M3 - I have one that doesn't readily drop them. Had no problem with the current Hexmag. The Hexmag magazines will allow me to load up different AR-15 ammo and keep it readily sorted.

Hexmag 30-rd Gray.jpg

Last edited:

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    I did a photoshop mock-up of my pending build.
    The upper, lower and rail will be Cerakote H234 Sniper Grey (I think).
    I believe all of the parts will be in this week, then... 'Kote!

Aero Precision M4 E1 Build-Daniel Defense No VFG.jpg

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    The Aero receiver and handguard came in along with a Faxon barrel today!
    The Aero lower should be in tomorrow!!!
    Ordered a Daniel Defense buttstock and a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block for the new build this afternoon.
    Just about ready to get this build started!

IMG_20230130_151731247_HDR-Edit.jpg IMG_20230131_111232971.jpg IMG_20230131_145442256_HDR.jpg _DSC0184-Edit.jpg

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ordered a set of Atibals flip up sights to try. With coupon code FREESIGHT you can get the front 1 free if you just pay shipping. Add front and rear to cart and use code it's just under $37 for both shipped

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    Ordered a set of Atibals flip up sights to try. With coupon code FREESIGHT you can get the front 1 free if you just pay shipping. Add front and rear to cart and use code it's just under $37 for both shipped

Great Price on that... Killer Deal!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    I like Aero Precision handguards and BCA makes decent ones for the price.
    I'm pretty impressed with this one. Great finish and good feel to it. First Aero products I've ever purchased.
    I have a BCM on the Colt, which is another great rail, and a Noveske rail on... wait for it... the Noveske. I have a 2A Armament on the Springfield which I am not as fond of. It's alright, just not as nice as the others. All in all I'm thinking this Aero might be my fav.

AND, BTW, this "budget" build has gotten ridiculous! Oh well. I had good intensions.

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    Buttstock for the new build came in today, got the lower transferred at the FFL, delivered the upper and handguard to be cerakoted with the lower and buttstock.

Attachments

• _DSC0192.jpg
      _DSC0192.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 1

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I'm pretty impressed with this one. Great finish and good feel to it. First Aero products I've ever purchased.
    I have a BCM on the Colt, which is another great rail, and a Noveske rail on... wait for it... the Noveske. I have a 2A Armament on the Springfield which I am not as fond of. It's alright, just not as nice as the others. All in all I'm thinking this Aero might be my fav.

AND, BTW, this "budget" build has gotten ridiculous! Oh well. I had good intensions.
    I built a rifle using as much Aero parts as I could, Faxon barrel, Magpul furniture and BUIS's, Vortex scope and red dot. That turned into an expensive build really quick. Turned out great though.

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    I built a rifle using as much Aero parts as I could, Faxon barrel, Magpul furniture and BUIS's, Vortex scope and red dot. That turned into an expensive build really quick. Turned out great though.
    LOL I did the same thing... I figured I'd go with Aero and Faxon as the main purchases. Not too bad $$.
    Then I added a Geissele trigger, Daniel Defense buttstock and some other kind of, I hate to say Pricey, higher priced parts than a budget build should have. Yup, $$$$. Cry Once, Buy Once, right?!

Top Bottom