What drills did you run this week and how did you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    So no way I am going out today, currently 18 degrees and 30 mph winds. I did run some drills last night though.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So no way I am going out today, currently 18 degrees and 30 mph winds. I did run some drills last night though.
    Yeah, I'm a little bummed. I won't make it tomorrow most likely either. That will be two weekends in a row. Fortunately that doesn't happen often, but tomorrow morning is calling for single digit wind chills again.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Well it was one of those range sessions that makes you wonder if you should just give up. It is time to start prepping for the Bianchi Cup/NRA Action Pistol/CMP match coming up in May. I recently put a new trigger in my Walther Q5 (Overwatch Precision). That went surprisingly well and in dry fire it functioned perfectly. Unfortunately now during live fire I am getting failures to extract. I don't think anything I did to the lower half by changing out the trigger should have caused this, but I haven't had these issues before. Last fall I did change my recoil assembly out for a Sprinco unit because it is hard to find the assemblies for the Q5 and they are expensive. I had noticed in dry fire that the gun wasn't hand cycling correctly so I figured it was a worn recoil spring. I put the old factory guide rod back in and it did get a little better but I still had problems. Needless to say this put a damper on my training.

What I was trying to do was the practical section of the match. This involves shooting 2 targets in stings of 1, 2, and 3 each, timed at 10, 15, 25, and 50 yards. Of course clearing malfunctions caused me to miss some par times. Will have to get this sorted before the match. The first 3 distances went ok. Because I have had a flare up of a poorly repaired hernia I chose to not go prone at 50, which most people do and I did at the match last year. I did none too well at this stage from a standing position. Prone is the way to go to maximize points and I will have to get back to it.

Switched to the Legion after that frustration. I started with the SWYNTS drill. At 15 I shot ok and made all of my par times, but I could tell I was not seeing what I needed to see. I think it was a mental problem left over from the frustration of the Walther not running correctly. At 7 yards I again made all of my par times. At 3 yards where I am trying to get a draw and 2 shots in under a second while keeping a clear picture of what is going on is where I struggled. I did not make the pars today and a lot of it was not that the first shot was too slow but I was getting some trigger freeze on the split due to gripping too hard with my firing hand.

I reset and did Bill drills in the same fashion at 15, 7, and 3 yards. Once again as the distances got closer I found myself gripping too hard with the firing hand and slowing down my splits. I was mostly keeping everything in the A at all distances but times were slow running 2 runs from each distance I was 2.5 seconds at 15, 2.25 at 7, and just over 2 on both runs from 3. Again at 3 I really noticed the excess tension and it killed my splits. I will say with target focus it was no problem seeing the dot as a bouncing ball painting the target. That is something at least.

I finished with a 10 shot slow fire group at 25 and although the score was not great at 90, the group itself was fairly tight but shifted to the right. I did not adjust my dot because I am not convinced it was the gun but more likely me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have experienced trigger freeze at the last couple range sessions. If that is when you fire a shot and then not getting back to reset, you don't touch another round off.

I have been working on gripping the pistol tighter as that is a fault of mine.

Could this be why I am getting the trigger freeze? Do I need to now focus on gripping tighter with the support hand vs both hands?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I have experienced trigger freeze at the last couple range sessions. If that is when you fire a shot and then not getting back to reset, you don't touch another round off.

I have been working on gripping the pistol tighter as that is a fault of mine.

Could this be why I am getting the trigger freeze? Do I need to now focus on gripping tighter with the support hand vs both hands?
    Yes, yes, and yes. My trigger freeze lately hasn't been complete as in failing to get off the next shot, but enough to slow me down. If you are gripping harder with your firing hand that could definitely lead to trigger freeze. You want most of your pressure to come from your support hand. This should be practiced in dry fire as well so it will carry over.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I had other plans for today, but last night a friend dropped off a newly purchased XR920 from Shadow Systems that he asked me to break in for him as he didn't have time. I guess if you really need me too ;) He also provided ammo....

So I took the three target array that I had in the truck and my usual supplies. It was me and my usual shooting partner so setup was easy. It has an SRO mounted on it and I did not check zero until after the cold drill. I ran it from my standard glock rig without issue.

Cold drill was a double dose of the the Old Bakersfield Qual, simply running each string twice. I met all pars except on the very first string which I was .01 over. I did well until the fifteen where I pulled several into the overall silhouette dropping what I would call a total down 12 for a 187 ( loose scoring of the middle of the 8 ring where the number 8 is as the 7" circle, the paper as the next scoring zone for 9 points, and the rest of the silhouette as 6 points). It is atypical for me to trend high right so next I checked zero. Using a 10 yard zero it was about 3 inches high and 3 inche right. I corrected this and confirmed at 25 - poorly...5 were in the 10 ring but I rushed a bit and had several called shots outside.

Bakersfield qual x2

Next I ran a great drill that I hadn't run in some time but find quite challenging. The Warren Advanced 3 Second Standards - https://pistol-training.com/shooting-drills/warren-advanced-3-second-standards/

I ended up with a 47 (cleaned @5, dropped 1 each at 7&10, managed 7 sho, and only snagged 5 each at 15,who, and moving). I have a fair amount of data on this drill and the last few times I had run it were 44(with a .22), 38, 36, 40, 43, 33, 38, and 35. Those were going back to 2015! All irons scores except for the .22. So between my current skill level and a dot, i managed to snag a few extra points but not to the elusive 49 recommended as excellent by TLG haha. This drill practices so many things - draws, transitions both wider and closer because they get more acute as you move back, higher and lower percentage shots, sho & who, and shooting on the move. Fun and excellent time!

I ran probably 50-75 rounds of doubles (too much support hand pressure was causing the dot to track diagonally from top right to bottom left - I run it from a ready and a draw to see if my natural current grip from the holster is different and it actually tracked vertically so long as I didn't think about it and modify it), a modified triple nickel (3 out and over time), a 1-5 (also a few out at 4.7), various other random shots here and there to finish a magazine etc...I finished with two runs of the supertest to a 3x5. The first was an 8.7 but only 6/10. My final run was 10.09 and of course the last shot dropped out because i got lazy/cocky and relaxed my support hand just enough.

I really like the Shadow Systems guns. They are a great way to get glock simplicity without glock ergos. The two i've had the chance to run (this xr920 and a dr920) have been great with this not suffering any issues in the quick 200 rounds despite SS saying they have a break in period. The dr920 did have a few issues but they went away after the first hundred rounds and it was good thereafter. Were i going to purchase one, i would like a dr920l.

After we went to a few gun stores because he needed a few things and I handled several things. During the trip I became smitten with trying a PDP. I've handled them before and didn't have much trouble avoiding the wantsies but today they hit my spot and I actually preferred it to the q5 sf they had. I couldn't reach the mag button on the sf very well and the grip felt fat. The pdp was just right. I may grab a compact to mess around with later this year. I like the longish pre travel and smooth break vs some other options. Texture is good as well as ergos. I think MVS should trade his Legion for one ;) Next week it's back to rimfire rifle stuff.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I had other plans for today, but last night a friend dropped off a newly purchased XR920 from Shadow Systems that he asked me to break in for him as he didn't have time. I guess if you really need me too ;) He also provided ammo....

So I took the three target array that I had in the truck and my usual supplies. It was me and my usual shooting partner so setup was easy. It has an SRO mounted on it and I did not check zero until after the cold drill. I ran it from my standard glock rig without issue.

Cold drill was a double dose of the the Old Bakersfield Qual, simply running each string twice. I met all pars except on the very first string which I was .01 over. I did well until the fifteen where I pulled several into the overall silhouette dropping what I would call a total down 12 for a 187 ( loose scoring of the middle of the 8 ring where the number 8 is as the 7" circle, the paper as the next scoring zone for 9 points, and the rest of the silhouette as 6 points). It is atypical for me to trend high right so next I checked zero. Using a 10 yard zero it was about 3 inches high and 3 inche right. I corrected this and confirmed at 25 - poorly...5 were in the 10 ring but I rushed a bit and had several called shots outside.

Bakersfield qual x2

Next I ran a great drill that I hadn't run in some time but find quite challenging. The Warren Advanced 3 Second Standards - https://pistol-training.com/shooting-drills/warren-advanced-3-second-standards/

I ended up with a 47 (cleaned @5, dropped 1 each at 7&10, managed 7 sho, and only snagged 5 each at 15,who, and moving). I have a fair amount of data on this drill and the last few times I had run it were 44(with a .22), 38, 36, 40, 43, 33, 38, and 35. Those were going back to 2015! All irons scores except for the .22. So between my current skill level and a dot, i managed to snag a few extra points but not to the elusive 49 recommended as excellent by TLG haha. This drill practices so many things - draws, transitions both wider and closer because they get more acute as you move back, higher and lower percentage shots, sho & who, and shooting on the move. Fun and excellent time!

I ran probably 50-75 rounds of doubles (too much support hand pressure was causing the dot to track diagonally from top right to bottom left - I run it from a ready and a draw to see if my natural current grip from the holster is different and it actually tracked vertically so long as I didn't think about it and modify it), a modified triple nickel (3 out and over time), a 1-5 (also a few out at 4.7), various other random shots here and there to finish a magazine etc...I finished with two runs of the supertest to a 3x5. The first was an 8.7 but only 6/10. My final run was 10.09 and of course the last shot dropped out because i got lazy/cocky and relaxed my support hand just enough.

I really like the Shadow Systems guns. They are a great way to get glock simplicity without glock ergos. The two i've had the chance to run (this xr920 and a dr920) have been great with this not suffering any issues in the quick 200 rounds despite SS saying they have a break in period. The dr920 did have a few issues but they went away after the first hundred rounds and it was good thereafter. Were i going to purchase one, i would like a dr920l.

After we went to a few gun stores because he needed a few things and I handled several things. During the trip I became smitten with trying a PDP. I've handled them before and didn't have much trouble avoiding the wantsies but today they hit my spot and I actually preferred it to the q5 sf they had. I couldn't reach the mag button on the sf very well and the grip felt fat. The pdp was just right. I may grab a compact to mess around with later this year. I like the longish pre travel and smooth break vs some other options. Texture is good as well as ergos. I think MVS should trade his Legion for one ;) Next week it's back to rimfire rifle stuff.
    Bakersfield is good stuff. It is hard to imagine a whole department passing that on the regular.

Glad the SS worked out. I still think about picking one of those up from time to time.

I have shot the Hackathorn 3 second standards but not the Warren, that I remember. What I like about that is that it is like its own little practice session for those things that we know we should work on but sometimes don't. I will have to give it a try.

I have looked at the PDP before, more so when they went gen 2 on the RDS cut, but could never make up my mind on one. Actually like the F better I think. Funny about the Q5 SF, when I got it I thought the grip was a little fat so I ordered a set of slim LOK grips. Now that I like having as much support hand on the back of the grip as possible, I ordered a set of LOK's with a palm swell.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Stopped by a range to test a firearm. Couple of guys were there who have obviously been friends for decades.

Good reminder of what's important.

I cannot shoot worth a **** .... until I am relaxed.

Today was a very relaxed day!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Stopped by a range to test a firearm. Couple of guys were there who have obviously been friends for decades.

Good reminder of what's important.

I cannot shoot worth a **** .... until I am relaxed.

Today was a very relaxed day!

FWIW, I find commie scum......EXTREMELY relaxing.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Went to the range with my wife this time so it was more about having fun then doing strict drills. She likes to shoot steel targets so we spent time on the Texas Star and plate rack. She shoots .22 so it won't drop the plates off the Star but she still likes going around the star as fast as she can. She does pretty good on the plate rack.

We both shot Dot Torture side by side. That was fun.

At the end, she rested while I shot that drill where you are supposed to draw and fire 5 rounds within 2.5-3.0s without misses. Start at 5 yards, then keep backing up. Do it until you succeed. I will work on this, but yesterday it was more of a trial run to see how far off I am. I ran this at 5 yards.

I was surprised that I did better than I thought. I really thought I would be in the 5-ish second range given that my draw usually takes up 2 seconds. Here is how I did with my 2.0 Compact:

1. 3.27 (1.81)draw 4. 3.13 (2.78)
    2. 3.34 (1.80) 5. 2.65 (1.62) down 1
    3. 3.24 (1.74) 6. 2.59 (1.62)

Here is how I did with the TX22:
    1. 2.48 (1.57) 4. 2.45 (1.46) -3
    2. 2.43 (1.46) down 3 5. 2.51 (1.60) -2
    3. 2.66 (1.66) 6. 3.32 (2.18)

With the TX, several times I didn't even see the dot, I just drew and dumped rounds quickly. The results are evident.

I found this target in the trash can, taped it up and used it here. I usually don't post my targets since I tend to use one for my entire session and with all the holes in it, it wouldn't make any sense. This was a time when I used a target for one specific drill, albeit two guns. The taped holes outside the A zone are from the previous person who used the target.

230326 Drill.JPG

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I guess I am going to have to buy some brown paper tape for heads now. I hate using up a lot of targets. Shipping is a killer. The Warren Advanced 3 second standards are no joke. Shooting with the Legion and IDPA gear except a open front coat and not a vest.
    1) Under par and clean
    2) Under par and clean
    3) 1 shot over par, 1 miss -2
    4) Things start to get a little sporty here, over par for 1 shot on 2 strings, and 1 miss. -3
    5) 1 over par, 1 miss. -2
    6) Have I been neglecting WHO? Yes. Last shot on all 3 strings over par. -3
    7) Are you kidding me? Over par last shot on 2 strings. 2 misses -4

Total=49 I'll bet I could run it again and only get 40. Some of the times and hits were that close. Some of these things like WHO, and SOM I am going to add back in to dry fire.

Next up was a changing gears drill that I have started to do in dry fire. 7 yards, 2 shots to 2 of the circles per string in a random order. Well, it was supposed to be a random order. I seem to have shot way less times at the 2" circle and way more at the 8 " circle though it didn't seem like it at the time. I tried to go with the 3 second par time I still had in the timer from the last drill but only made that when shooting the bigger set of circles.

PXL_20230327_212611271.MP.jpg

After this I ran some 2R2 still from concealment at 5 yards. What I was looking for here was to see what I see in dry fire, that is, everything. Not only did that not happen, but my times were considerably slower as well. That is ok, something to work on. Only one fumbled reload was a good thing. Fastest in battery time was 3.67 seconds and fastest slide lock was 4.05. I set par at 2.5 during dry but that is with no concealment.

I switched to the MC9 BUG candidate just trying to get familiar with it. I ran the same 2R2 drill and was averaging about a second longer as well as having a few wild shots. Ran 2 runs of 7 yard Blake drill with a 4.14 and 3.84. Slow but not terrible for a "micro" 9 and irons. I think I will pick up some time with familiarity and a fiber optic front. Finished up trying to put 10 rounds into one hole at 5 yards. I came closer the second time but still no dice.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Great showing on the Warren, MVS! Kudos
    Thanks, but apparently I lack this little important thing known as consistency as the following will demonstrate.

Went out to the range tonight because we supposedly have crappy weather for the next 2 days and I may have my first match of the season Sunday. I started with the Rangemaster Drill of the Month for April called the 7 yard standards. It is similar to the 5 yard round up, but at 7 yards and has a reload. The reload is really my only complaint, it is way to generous with time. I did not write down my times for the strings, all of which were 5 second pars except the last stage, the reload which was 8 seconds. I made the 5 second par on all of the stages including the reload one. My shots could have been a little tighter and I think when you look at the horizontal spread it is indicative of my lack of grip consistency with that damn Sig.

PXL_20230330_220032177.MP.jpg

After this I tried out something I heard Mike Pannone talking about on the X-ray Alpha podcast. He calls it a skills inventory test and designed it for LE but of course it will work for anyone. At this point he hasn't assigned times to the stages yet. It sounds like when he does it will probably be a tier type system. I had my ideas about what those times should be, but based on my performance, what the hell do I know. The course is as follows for reference but please listen to the

Discussing LEO Quals and Mike Pannone's Skill Inventory Test CTT Solutions Skills Inventory Test https://www.instagram.com/p/CqUE73tKdZE/ Record your own times, post them & improve upon them
    Retreating Bill drill from 3-7 (6rds)
    Bill Drill at 7 (6rds)
    Draw and fire 2 rounds strong hand only at 7 (2rds)
    Draw and fire a single head shot at 7 (head 3”x4” modified A-zone) (1rd)
    From the low ready (45-degree angle) fire 3 A-zone hits to the body from 10 (3rds)
    From the low ready (45-degree angle) fire 1 head shot (head 3’x4” modified A-zone) at 10 (1rd)
    3 reload 3 at 25 (6rds)
    Total of 25 rounds

For your amusement my best overall run was as follows,
    1) Retreating bill, clean, 2.57
    2) Regular Bill, clean, 2.98 :(
    3) D2SHO, clean, 2.33
    4) D1Head, clean, 1.7
    5) Low ready 3, clean, 1.45
    6) Low ready 1Head, clean, .74
    7) 25 yard 3R3, 7.92 -2, I wasn't clear if this was supposed to be shot from ready or draw, so I drew.

I ran this 4 times, my fourth run was a fair amount faster on every stage except the 25 yard where I was 2 seconds slower.

I finished up with 10 shots from 25 at a 3X5. I only went 4/10 on the card with the rest all being about 2 inches to the right. Yes I am left handed.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Thanks, but apparently I lack this little important thing known as consistency as the following will demonstrate.

Went out to the range tonight because we supposedly have crappy weather for the next 2 days and I may have my first match of the season Sunday. I started with the Rangemaster Drill of the Month for April called the 7 yard standards. It is similar to the 5 yard round up, but at 7 yards and has a reload. The reload is really my only complaint, it is way to generous with time. I did not write down my times for the strings, all of which were 5 second pars except the last stage, the reload which was 8 seconds. I made the 5 second par on all of the stages including the reload one. My shots could have been a little tighter and I think when you look at the horizontal spread it is indicative of my lack of grip consistency with that damn Sig.

View attachment 266605

After this I tried out something I heard Mike Pannone talking about on the X-ray Alpha podcast. He calls it a skills inventory test and designed it for LE but of course it will work for anyone. At this point he hasn't assigned times to the stages yet. It sounds like when he does it will probably be a tier type system. I had my ideas about what those times should be, but based on my performance, what the hell do I know. The course is as follows for reference but please listen to the

Discussing LEO Quals and Mike Pannone's Skill Inventory Test CTT Solutions Skills Inventory Test https://www.instagram.com/p/CqUE73tKdZE/ Record your own times, post them & improve upon them
    Retreating Bill drill from 3-7 (6rds)
    Bill Drill at 7 (6rds)
    Draw and fire 2 rounds strong hand only at 7 (2rds)
    Draw and fire a single head shot at 7 (head 3”x4” modified A-zone) (1rd)
    From the low ready (45-degree angle) fire 3 A-zone hits to the body from 10 (3rds)
    From the low ready (45-degree angle) fire 1 head shot (head 3’x4” modified A-zone) at 10 (1rd)
    3 reload 3 at 25 (6rds)
    Total of 25 rounds

For your amusement my best overall run was as follows,
    1) Retreating bill, clean, 2.57
    2) Regular Bill, clean, 2.98 :(
    3) D2SHO, clean, 2.33
    4) D1Head, clean, 1.7
    5) Low ready 3, clean, 1.45
    6) Low ready 1Head, clean, .74
    7) 25 yard 3R3, 7.92 -2, I wasn't clear if this was supposed to be shot from ready or draw, so I drew.

I ran this 4 times, my fourth run was a fair amount faster on every stage except the 25 yard where I was 2 seconds slower.

I finished up with 10 shots from 25 at a 3X5. I only went 4/10 on the card with the rest all being about 2 inches to the right. Yes I am left handed.

10-8 times posted

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    10-8 times posted

There is some stuff there I feel good about, and some clarifications that hurt. Shooting a 3R3 at 25 with no more than 1 down in 5.5 seconds is aggressive for sure. The clarification on the retreating bill seems a little strange, definitely makes it harder having to move that hard and far rearward. I definitely didn't finish all the way back at 7.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Had to scratch an itch and ran a friends m&p today. It's a 5" pc with ports. I don't get the same noticeable performance with the ports as I do with say a pmm comp. Just lots of extra noise. But I do enjoy m&p's. Regardless, anymore when I venture away from glock (or variants) I generally just find myself wanting to return. I guess you need to see what's out there to appreciate what you have sometimes.

I was recently reminded elsewhere of a drill I made up several years ago and hadn't ran in some time. The 10 in 10 all hands drill is pretty much a variation on The Test. Shot on a b8, you pick the yardage you are most comfortable with and draw to shoot 10 rounds. The twist is that you do four freestyle, three sho, then three who in 10 seconds. While I've done all kinds of variations of scoring (just for points, time, hitfactor, steel) the variant that I ran today was all in the black under 10 then you move back and do it again (Gabe W helped come up with that variant when we ran it as a dotw on the home forum). The furthest distance you go all black under 10 is your score.

Cold I cleaned it but went over time. I had a dimmer than preferred dot that I could see but wasn't easy to track. I lost it completely when I transferred to who and during who recoil. Yikes!

10.76 clean at 5

I gave it another run and knocked off 2.5 seconds, nearly, but dropped two outside the black.

8.3 down 2

Seeing this wasn't bearing fruit, I decided to move on to the main course. My 20 hits battery is simply taking the standard 20 hits drill designed by Gary Roberts and adding on additional strings. The classic version is shot on a 3x5 card. You draw and place two shots on a 3x5 at 7 yards and record your time and hits. Repeat until you have 20 hits. Your score is your total time it took to get 20 hits (adding all strings together). If you only get 1 hit per run you'll have 20 runs. If you miss 1 over the course of fire you'll shoot an extra run (11) to make up for the missed hit. Miss three and you'll have 2 makeups and so on, as you only can and must shoot two shots per string. For my battery I also add a high percentage target for 20 hits and a high percentage target SHO for 20 hits making a nice 60 round practice that you actually get to drill and get repetition.

I started with the standard 3x5 string. My total time was 25.62 and it took 12 runs to get 20 hits (3 misses) with an average run of 2.13. My fastest run was 1.98 and my slowest was 2.36. I've been at this pace for years but I still enjoy the drill.

Next was the high percentage string using a b8 with 8 ring for the 8" circle. My total time was 19.18 and was clean in 10 runs. Average run was 1.91 with a single fouled draw that was 2.49. Excluding that run then I had a 1.85 avg. A touch slower than my logged avg by a tenth or two but that could be due to cover garment that wasn't as fast(still cold!) or simply not my gun. I use the too little practice excuse too often so I'll use the former ;)

Finally the SHO on an 8". With one miss on the very first string it took 11 runs to make 20 hits. I absolutely got hung up bad with my shirt getting stuck on a clip and had to pretty much re draw on one run which ended up being a nasty 5.08. On the other end of the spectrum my fastest run was 2.56. My average was 3.06 but 2.85 without the screwup. I'm pretty consistenly 2.5x here so it's on the high side for sure. My total time was 33.69.

I really dig running this and it makes great for comparing different guns. If you run it for hitfactor you would really see the minor differences. You can also adapt it to various tasks that matter to you - distance, who, reloads, varied target sizes. I like the idea of the upper A or 2" as a hyper accuracy at speed dynamic and may start doing that as well.

Since I had just a few rounds left at this point I ran one last 10 in 10 all hands, being hopeful since i was warmed up and actually drilled 2/3's of the core skills in that test over this session. I was rewarded with a clean 5 yard run in 7.63 so I get to actually claim a score other than zero for the day! 5 yard pin unlocked ;) The gulf between that and my cold performance is substantial. That should be a clue.

I finished with 4 rounds sitting in the box and decided to do two runs of sho draw at 7 to a 3x5, as if I were doing 20 hits to a low percentage target. First run was a stellar 2.87 clean (right along with my average for the high percentage) immediately followed with two mikes in 3.03, just to knock me down a peg or to so as to not get a big head.

Next week I may be busy but should be good to go the following week. That's the NRA show weekend but I don't think I am going despite urging from friends. I don't need that kind of temptation right now.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I with you on the NRA show. Have some friends going and they want to go as a group but I am in a strict no spending mode until I get my job figured out.

I went the range today but didn't shoot. The power was out in parts of Martinsville and that included the gate to our club. A few folks walked back, but I'm didn't want to schlep all my stuff to a bay.

It's a long walk to the back bays...

Top Bottom