What drills did you run this week and how did you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    No shooting drills or otherwise this windy, snowy, cold weekend. I am dry firing everyday. I did shoot an indoor "action pistol match" Tuesday. That is in quotes because though it is called a match it is really more of a practice session. I shot 39 rounds over 6 and a half stages. One nice thing about it is every "stage", which is typically 6 rounds and three targets, is done full light and low light. I used my EDC gear.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Second week in a row that I didn't make it to the range. This is unusual for me, but I have been very busy with life and frankly haven't aclimated yet to the cold considering we went from 76 to 3" of snow and the teens in less than 48 hours, lol.

I have been moving some red dot around on a few firearms. The last one is setting up now. I'm going to take this Wednesday off and hopefully I will make it to range.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Second week in a row that I didn't make it to the range. This is unusual for me, but I have been very busy with life and frankly haven't aclimated yet to the cold considering we went from 76 to 3" of snow and the teens in less than 48 hours, lol.

I have been moving some red dot around on a few firearms. The last one is setting up now. I'm going to take this Wednesday off and hopefully I will make it to range.
    My plan right now is Thursday morning.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I like to get a good session in practicing my draw from winter coat/ several layers at various distances, usually on steel. I should be able to get that in this weekend sometime. Potentially the last live fire of the year for me other than a rifle day (i don't do rifles but friends want to do some work). I can do most of my winter layer practice dry but i prefer a day of confirmation live, for obvious reasons.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Made it out this morning before the festivities. Range to myself which I always appreciate. Shot the EDC Staccato C2 from AIWB and pullover concealment.

I started with the Seeklander Fundamental 5. This consists of drills that are very much in line with my goals and some that I already more or less do. All of his are done from midpoint of the drawstoke as your two hands are coming together. I found out what I already knew, the 2 areas I really want to improve are the first hit speed, and recoil control. When I talk about reoil control I am not talking about how much muzzle rise there is but rather how consistently the gun returns. This is hugely important to being able to shoot accurately at speed and unfortunately can only be worked via live fire. I ended up shooting 105 rounds here and getting some good baseline numbers. I modified his first drill for accuracy to not just FS but also SHO and WHO. The rest I did as outlined in his article.

Nest up was my 5X5 prep work. I have not crunched the numbers yet to compare to last time but I had some good runs. I am finding I really like the rangetech timer for this type of diagnostic work. I probably should put the app on my iPad though so I can use my phone for filming, or vice versa would work just as well I guess. Not much of a techie.

I then ran 5 shots at 25 shooting reactively, that is pressing the trigger as soon as the dot returned to the down zero 8 inch circle of the target. It was a 4.61 second run from the holster and I was down 2 with both of them being only out by around an inch.

As I try to do I finished with a one hole accuracy attempt at 5. I put 4 shots in one with the fifth about a half inch higher.

If I am lucky I may make it out again this weekend and I may try the same things but using my IDPA gear and Walther Q5. I would like to see what the differences may be.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I made it out both Wednesday and yesterday. Wednesday I made sure both pistols red dots were zero'd since I have been changing dots on them. I did run a Follow-Through and Grip drill I got from Shooting Illustrated.

5 rounds in mag from low ready, fire 5 rounds in 1 second increments. Then do the same with 10 rounds and finally 15.

Also ran a couple Bill Drills.

Thursday, I ran a drill called 2 Target Tango which uses to IDPA type targets and 6 different runs using both targets.

I also ran the idpa 5-shot classifier and finished with some time on the plate rack and Texas Star.

I am running the drills twice; once with my TX22C and then with my Compact. I was happy to see that my performance with the Compact did not degrade compared to the .22. On some drills I did better with the Compact.

Drills with the TX are all at a compressed ready since I don't have a holster yet.

Another thing I am going to do is slow down a bit to my level. I get pushing yourself so you improve, but I think I was a bit overzealous. I'm going to focus more on the fundamentals and let the timer do what it does.

CWMC

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Jasper county
    I didn't perform any drills this week, but I did enjoy doing some backyard plinking into an empty used pie tin. Also practiced some drawing from an OWB holster with an empty gun.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Probably the last really nice day of the year so couldn't let it go by without hitting the range. Using the Walther Q5 and Idpa gear I started out with 5-5-5 at ten. That is 5FS, 5SHO, and 5WHO all slow fire. Could have done better. Fortunately it was not a sign of things to come.

In keeping with my comments about recoil consistency being a major goal I shot Ben Stoeger doubles. I don't like these which is why I don't work them, which is why I really should. I started at 5 yards. Keeping most rounds in the down zero circle I managed to mostly lower my splits on each string. From .22 to .21 to. 20 and .20. There is a lot to pay attention to during this drill including keeping your firing hand loose enough to press the trigger quickly, but keeping your support hand clamped down hard enough to make sure of good control and consistency to paying attention to what the sight is doing, to of course a tough one for me, trying to keep the rest of your body relaxed. I moved back to 7 yards and while trying to keep the same splits threw a few more rounds into the -1. There is a lot of work to be done with this drill. Ben calls this predictive shooting versus reactive.

Next it was on to the 5X5 work. I did noctice better performance using my Q5 versud the C@ a couple of days ago. This was most noticeable in the 2HReload2B drill which makes sense as the Walther I can shoot as the left hander I am, but the Staccato I have to run as a lefty but using righty controls.

I did a couple reps of D5 at 25 and had a 4.25 -2, and a 4.88 -1. Again this is drawing at 25 and shooting 5 as soon as the dot gets in the circle.

I always like to slow back down and finish with accuracy so today I did the Rastoffs challenge and as you can see from the target was doing great until the very last shot where I failed it. Oh well.
    PXL_20221126_200344526.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I did the Thanksgiving travel stuff this weekend, so Thanksgiving Day was my last visit. I'll be out there next weekend though depending on when I have to take my wife to the airport on Sunday.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The sun was nice but with the strong wind 35 degrees was a little cool. Had to get some work done anyway.

Started out with the Seeklander FUNdemental 5 again as it works what I need to work. Really need to keep working this grip so that the gun just goes straight up and down under recoil instead of in a circle.

Went to the Rangemaster DOM for December next. I started from the compressed ready and finished in well under the 2.5 second pars on all the strings as well as shooting it clean. The second time through I shot it from the draw and under the winter coat. I did manage to make the times, some just barely, but dropped 3 points.
    PXL_20221204_193307727.jpg

After the DOM I did my 5X5 practice. I am going to blame it on the cold getting to my hands but there were a couple of wild strings mixed in.

I finished up with a 10 shot B8 at 25 yards scoring a 289/300. I was using a different brand of ammo than usual, Remington Range, so I am not sure if the right bias of the group was me or the ammo.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I attemped to do a range session, lol. I ran the Seeklander Five Shot Group, One Shot EPP and Five Shot Pace with both my TX22 and my Compact.

I didn't keep them in a 2" target, but I kept them in a 6" square, mostly in a 2" circle. I had one of those 2" dots that turn green when you score a hit. After about 5 hits, it blew the circle off the target. Too cold to stick I suppose.

My hands were frozen. It was 19 degrees.

What happened to shooting in the 40's, then 30's? :dunno:

At least I got approx. 50 rounds in today. It was so cold; I didn't even pick up my brass today.

I am still happy though. I'm getting better at seeing the dot through the shot being fired and I'm getting tighter groups.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Did the 5-shot warm up with 4 pistols today. A couple of them I hadn't fired in awhile.

Then I ran the SCAT drill, a couple Bill Drills, the plate rack and the Texas Star. With the exception of the Texas Star I shot them with both the TX22 and my compact. I did shoot the Texas Star with the TX22 but since it didn't knock the plates down, the star was stationary, lol.

I felt pretty good with my shooting. In the SCAT drill I was quicker with my compact than the TX except for the last two parts.

My Bill Drills were slower with the compact but if I factor in that with the TX, I'm starting from a compressed ready(haven't got a holster yet) and I am drawing from a holster with my compact I'm pretty comparable.

For instance my Bill Drills were approximately 1.4 - 1.7 seconds slower with the compact vs the TX. My draws to first shot today were at a snails 2+ seconds. Same with the plate rack: TX22=4.48, Compact=4.66 with a 2.02 draw.

I think the .22 work is helping me.

Oh, and finally a decent day to be out there. :thumbsup:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Started with the All hands 10 in 10. Backtrail should recognize it. From the draw, 4 FS, 3 SHO, 3 WHO par time of 10 seconds. I started at 3 yards on a 3X5 card. Cleaned that, went back to 5, dropped 1, shot it again clean. Went back to 7 where I shot it twice but couldn't clean it. I like to get SHO and WHO in every session and this filled the bill.

My main workout was not really a drill but a practice session that I think I got from PF but can't remember the name of. I felt like doing something different that still worked what I am doing for the winter and this was almost like it was designed for me. I made a few modifications like shooting it at 10 yards instead of 7 and substituting the 6 shot strings for 5.
    1)Draw to 1 round. X5
    2)Draw to 3, X5.
    3)6 from ready, X5
    4)Draw to 6 (Bill Drill), X5
    5)Draw to 1 on 3" post it, X10
    6)Draw to 2 on 3" post it, X10
    7)Failure Drill, X10
    8)4 body, 2 head, X5
    I fumbled a few draws wearing the coat as it gets caught up sometimes, and some of my strings got a little out of control.

Finished with my match gun shooting 5 at 25 to the sights, ran a 4.17 -5, and a 4.69 -3. That was a little weak.

It has been a while since I shot my NPE EDC carry (365XL) so I ran the Rangemaster baseline assessment drill with that.
    String 1: 5 yards - Draw and fire 5 rounds in 5 seconds, using both hands. (4.72 seconds)
    String 2: 5 yards - Start gun in hand, at Ready, in dominant hand only. Fire 3 rounds in 3 seconds. (2.55 -1)
    String 3: 5 yards - Start gun in hand, at Ready, in non-dominant hand only. Fire 2 rounds in 3 seconds. (1.65)
    String 4: 7 yards - Start gun in hand, loaded with 3 rounds only. Fire 3 rounds, conduct an empty gun reload, and fire 3 more rounds, all in 10 seconds. (7.51 -1)
    String 5: 10 yards - Start gun in hand, at Ready. Fire 4 rounds in 4 seconds. (3.35)

Since I used a 3X5 card that was a fail dropping 2 shots off the card. That drill is normally run on a B8 replacement center.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This past weekend, I stuck a paster on the front of my red dot( I hope it's supposed to go on the front and not the rear).

My accuracy did not seem to be diminished, at least at closer distances(7 yards). Does that mean anything?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    This past weekend, I stuck a paster on the front of my red dot( I hope it's supposed to go on the front and not the rear).

My accuracy did not seem to be diminished, at least at closer distances(7 yards). Does that mean anything?
    Sorry, just saw this. Ideally your whole lens would be covered so you didn't get any feedback through it from that eye. The goal of course is for that eye to see the dot and the other eye to see the target (or better yet a little spot on the target) and have the brain superimpose. The goal of course being to help people with target focus. It is very common that people with a lot of time on irons have a hard time picking up on target focus. Its just a tool that would probably help a lot of people, but for someone who already uses target focus, it may not be as beneficial.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sorry, just saw this. Ideally your whole lens would be covered so you didn't get any feedback through it from that eye. The goal of course is for that eye to see the dot and the other eye to see the target (or better yet a little spot on the target) and have the brain superimpose. The goal of course being to help people with target focus. It is very common that people with a lot of time on irons have a hard time picking up on target focus. Its just a tool that would probably help a lot of people, but for someone who already uses target focus, it may not be as beneficial.

Great! I at first covered the front but as you know you can still see the dot. Then I covered the rear. Then went back to the front.

With it in the front I was able to shoot well. Much better than I thought. I must be focusing on the target more than I thought.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Finally got back to the range. We couldn't even get out of the driveway last weekend let alone out to the range. This will probably be the last session of 2022.

Started with the Run Your Gun Not YOur Mouth DOM for Dec. It is Climbing the Ladder from Riley Bowman.
    I ran it the first time at what I thought would be the proper speed. That was a mistake, it was way harder than I thought. For the first time through I was, String 1) 8.05 -2, String 2) 5.99 clean, String 3) 4.09 -1. Sorta a train wreck. Next time through I told myself I was going to run it clean. String 1) 9.11 clean, String 2)7.89 -1, String 3)6.48 clean. The picture is of that run. I did run it 2 other times with mixed results.
    PXL_20221230_153735312.MP.jpg

I cant find the original video from Riley Bowman but this one explains it.

After running this with carry gear and C2 I switched to my Q5 and run Ben Stoegers Practical Accuracy and doubles drills. Mt 2 main take aways were not focusing on a small spot, but the whole target and not having a consistent enough grip. I will continue to work these issues as overcoming them will bring big improvements.

To end the session I shot 5 shot heads at 25 for 4 reps. I went 4/5, 5/5, 5/5, and 4/5.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN

I had two rounds of hst that had needed shot due to being rechambered several times so I did a short and quick cold test based on the No Fail shot but with two rounds at 25 yards. First needed to be under 3.5, per No Fail, and the second whatever was necessary for the hit and both needed to be in the black to make goal. I was pretty happy with this 4.29 as my first rounds since 11-6.

I jumped into an Advanced Supertest after this and put down a 292 all under time. While not a pr, it was the best of the year that i recorded in my log.

A run on Gabes tests resulted in an aggregate of 19.03 - about 3/4 of a second off my last run. The dot was not tracking vertically at first (note the opposing C's on the first bill) and I needed to focus on my grip. I forgot to put up a 3x5 so I just rolled with it and used a 3x5 as an overlay afterward to see how many were outside. I always line it up with the top of the credit card so I went from there. I spent the remainder working doubles at 7/12/20 and had best stability utilizing a variation of the seeklander jar opening pressure. In my head i was trying to make the base of my thumbs(drumstick as jedi has called it) touch through/around the gun. This kept the dot tracking vertically with abut 33% C's across the board at .18-.2 splits at 7, .21-.24 splits at 12, and .25-.28 splits at 20. There was more tension in my shooting hand than I liked and next year I'll likely explore here more to find a more consistent and more improved grip.

Bills

F2S

IC

Split Bill

I finished with 10 at 25. My pracitce ammo today was ae 115 and it shoots high for the 147 hst zero but I'm happy with the consistency (except that one guy, of course, what would I do without him) of the group. With a good zero for the load it would've been a contender. Great nightcap to the year!

Final 10 at 25

ps - the grip anchor from LTT and Booth performance is legit!

Top Bottom