What drills did you run this week and how did you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Dry fire match style drills tonight. Putting the barrels closer together or farther apart can radically change how you approach it.
    PXL_20220919_232816076.jpg

PS, I don't shoot it from that view, the direction I point the gun is wide open, just in case strict safety protocols fail.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    It is getting close to that time where I run out of daylight going in the evenings. Started with the Baer Solutions warm up drill target 1 at 5 yards. As is often the case I lacked the patience to clean the 1 inch squares missing 2 SHO and 2 WHO. Other than that clean.

I then ran the 99 drill with no modifications to get a baseline. I ran it with my IDPA gear. Walther Q5, OWB holster, vest concealment. I made my par times tonight, though just barely at the first stage. Truth be told I was like a 2.51 and 2.52 on a couple but am letting them slide. I dropped 3 shots at stage 1. 4 at 2, 6 at 3 and 1 at 4. I guess that gives me a 85. The bad thing is, on those later stages I didn't have to drop any as I had plenty of time on the clock. The good news is I felt really connected tonight and was aware of everything. It was one of those things were time sorta slows down. I have had that happen in matches before a few years back when I was getting pretty good but had not experienced it since coming back from my layoff. Hopefully this is a good sign of things to come.

Bowing to peer pressure and common sense I finally video taped myself tonight. Oh my word do I look slow. Hopefully I will be able to incorporate this and make it work for me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I then ran the 99 drill with no modifications to get a baseline. I ran it with my IDPA gear. Walther Q5, OWB holster, vest concealment. I made my par times tonight, though just barely at the first stage. Truth be told I was like a 2.51 and 2.52 on a couple but am letting them slide. I dropped 3 shots at stage 1. 4 at 2, 6 at 3 and 1 at 4. I guess that gives me a 85. The bad thing is, on those later stages I didn't have to drop any as I had plenty of time on the clock. The good news is I felt really connected tonight and was aware of everything. It was one of those things were time sorta slows down. I have had that happen in matches before a few years back when I was getting pretty good but had not experienced it since coming back from my layoff. Hopefully this is a good sign of things to come.

Bowing to peer pressure and common sense I finally video taped myself tonight. Oh my word do I look slow. Hopefully I will be able to incorporate this and make it work for me.
    I'm going to buy a tripod phone bracket so I can set my phone on my tripod and do some video recording. I am hoping to find all kinds of areas to work on.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Gen 5 19 and holosun 407c today from an enigma under closed front concealment.

I ran the Pistol IQ as a cold test again. I was messing with some numbers and compared times on other drills with similar tests to get an idea of my top edge performance wise and figured I could clean it and make Master if I did my part.

On the half test I planted four around the 10 ring but then got lazy/overconfident and got lax on my grip and press, dropping one right into the 8 ring for a 48 in 4.82. On the draw two I had two A's in 1.64 which was a 1.39 after bonus. Bill had a clean raw time of 2.32 so 2.07 after bonus. The transition was 2.33 (2.08 after bonus) which is good considering that the point of the blake drill is to get your transitions on close targets close to your bill times and i shot it as if I was doing a blake. No complaint there. The throttle section felt slow at 3.99 but the 3.74 bonus corrected time was .03 better than my last run. Not as big of an iprovement as the other strings but improvement no less.

Final score hitfactor forumla looked like (24+7.19+14.49+14.42+8.02)*2=136.24 or Master using Riley's chart.

The key difference was in how I approached it this time. Last time I was shooting A's without accepting C's as only A's get points scoring scared me into being conservative. After playing with the numbers and realizing I could do accept a C and push toward my upper end and still come out well I decided to do just that and shot for A's instead of simply shooting A's. The result speaks for itself and is one of the reasons that scoring drills different ways can be beneficial. Reminds me of a an old gabe white drill where you shoot the same drill 4 times but with different scoring on each run and see how your approach changes.

I finished with a battery of drills that I like to run occasionally based off of DockGKR's 20 hits drill. In original form it is draw two to a 3x5 as many times as it takes to get 20 hits on the card. Record your time for each string and your score is your aggregate. So on the face of it, if you get both hits each string then you do ten reps of draw 2. But if you miss once you have to do another string to make up that hit, adding a whole run time wise to your aggregate. If you miss twice you can make up both in that one string assuming you shoot it clean but if you miss 3 then that's another additional string, as you can only shoot two per string, and must shoot two per string despite only needing one makeup. In my version I simply run it as a three test battery with the first being the orginal 20 hits to a 3x5, the next being 20 hits to an 8" circle, then a final set of 20 hits to an 8" circle SHO. I score each version seperately and keep track of my average of the ten runs. It is nice to use this when comparing different guns, though I shoot most within a tenth of the others for averages.

20 hits 3x5 -
    1. 2.09(2 hits) 2. 2.04(1 hit) 3. 2.09(1 hit) 4. 2.15(2 hits) 5. 2.04(2 hits) 6. 2.11(2 hits) 7. 2.12(2 hits)
    8. 1.98(2 hits) 9. 2.10(2 hits) 10. 2.33(2 hits) 11.2.01(2 hits)

Total time - 23.06 (Fastest agg of the year) Average time - 2.09 (2nd best average of the year)

20 hits 8" -
    1. 1.65(2 hits) 2. 1.65(2 hits) 3. 1.64(2 hits) 4. 1.5(2 hits) 5. 1.52(2 hits) 6. 1.54(2 hits) 7. 1.41(2 hits)
    8. 1.63(2 hits) 9. 1.95(1 hit...DOH!!!) 10. 1.96(2 hits) 11. 1.52(2 hits)

Total time - 17.97 (2nd fastest agg) Average time - 1.63 (Fastest average of the year)

20 hits 8" SHO -
    1. 2.78(1 hit) 2. 3.02(2 hits) 3. 2.8(2 hits) 4. 2.4(2 hits) 5. 2.5(2 hits) 6. 2.48(2 hits) 7. 2.43(2 hits)
    8. 2.42(2 hits) 9. 2.41(2 hits) 10. 2.79(2 hits) 11. 2.49(2 hits)

Total time - 28.52 (about 3 seconds slower than usual, generally shoot clean but had 1 makeup here) Average time - 2.59 (approximately .06 slower than normal)

I think this is a great battery of drills that is pretty universal as it has no floor or ceiling. If you can safely draw a gun freestyle and sho then you can track your performance over time and get some solid data in the process. Like the 99 it has value in repetition vs a one and done test. This allows you to analyze what you're doing, make changes as necessary, and burn in the change a few times before moving on. It has 3 core skills that I value - drawing to a low percentage target plus follow up and recoil control, drawing to a high percentage target plus follow up and recoil control, and a strong hand only draw to a high percentage target with follow up and recoil control.

I've got data on this drill going back to 2019 on the 3x5 variant and have whittled away about 5 seconds off my agg and about .5 from the average as an overall. Consistency has improved as well as I achieve 20 hits in less strings than when I started tracking 4 years ago. I always enjoy running this but feel i've reached a point where I need to ratchet down a fair amount of dry practice to really make much more in gains. It is easy enough to do it where i am today and hold it within a two second window and a few tenths average but to knock out more significant performance I need to really trim the fat on my drawstroke and recoil control. I'm just not in a spot where I am allowing that sort of dry practice time to happen so I'll have to accept it as it is for now.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Gen 5 19 and holosun 407c today from an enigma under closed front concealment.

I ran the Pistol IQ as a cold test again. I was messing with some numbers and compared times on other drills with similar tests to get an idea of my top edge performance wise and figured I could clean it and make Master if I did my part.

On the half test I planted four around the 10 ring but then got lazy/overconfident and got lax on my grip and press, dropping one right into the 8 ring for a 48 in 4.82. On the draw two I had two A's in 1.64 which was a 1.39 after bonus. Bill had a clean raw time of 2.32 so 2.07 after bonus. The transition was 2.33 (2.08 after bonus) which is good considering that the point of the blake drill is to get your transitions on close targets close to your bill times and i shot it as if I was doing a blake. No complaint there. The throttle section felt slow at 3.99 but the 3.74 bonus corrected time was .03 better than my last run. Not as big of an iprovement as the other strings but improvement no less.

Final score hitfactor forumla looked like (24+7.19+14.49+14.42+8.02)*2=136.24 or Master using Riley's chart.

The key difference was in how I approached it this time. Last time I was shooting A's without accepting C's as only A's get points scoring scared me into being conservative. After playing with the numbers and realizing I could do accept a C and push toward my upper end and still come out well I decided to do just that and shot for A's instead of simply shooting A's. The result speaks for itself and is one of the reasons that scoring drills different ways can be beneficial. Reminds me of a an old gabe white drill where you shoot the same drill 4 times but with different scoring on each run and see how your approach changes.

I finished with a battery of drills that I like to run occasionally based off of DockGKR's 20 hits drill. In original form it is draw two to a 3x5 as many times as it takes to get 20 hits on the card. Record your time for each string and your score is your aggregate. So on the face of it, if you get both hits each string then you do ten reps of draw 2. But if you miss once you have to do another string to make up that hit, adding a whole run time wise to your aggregate. If you miss twice you can make up both in that one string assuming you shoot it clean but if you miss 3 then that's another additional string, as you can only shoot two per string, and must shoot two per string despite only needing one makeup. In my version I simply run it as a three test battery with the first being the orginal 20 hits to a 3x5, the next being 20 hits to an 8" circle, then a final set of 20 hits to an 8" circle SHO. I score each version seperately and keep track of my average of the ten runs. It is nice to use this when comparing different guns, though I shoot most within a tenth of the others for averages.

20 hits 3x5 -
    1. 2.09(2 hits) 2. 2.04(1 hit) 3. 2.09(1 hit) 4. 2.15(2 hits) 5. 2.04(2 hits) 6. 2.11(2 hits) 7. 2.12(2 hits)
    8. 1.98(2 hits) 9. 2.10(2 hits) 10. 2.33(2 hits) 11.2.01(2 hits)

Total time - 23.06 (Fastest agg of the year) Average time - 2.09 (2nd best average of the year)

20 hits 8" -
    1. 1.65(2 hits) 2. 1.65(2 hits) 3. 1.64(2 hits) 4. 1.5(2 hits) 5. 1.52(2 hits) 6. 1.54(2 hits) 7. 1.41(2 hits)
    8. 1.63(2 hits) 9. 1.95(1 hit...DOH!!!) 10. 1.96(2 hits) 11. 1.52(2 hits)

Total time - 17.97 (2nd fastest agg) Average time - 1.63 (Fastest average of the year)

20 hits 8" SHO -
    1. 2.78(1 hit) 2. 3.02(2 hits) 3. 2.8(2 hits) 4. 2.4(2 hits) 5. 2.5(2 hits) 6. 2.48(2 hits) 7. 2.43(2 hits)
    8. 2.42(2 hits) 9. 2.41(2 hits) 10. 2.79(2 hits) 11. 2.49(2 hits)

Total time - 28.52 (about 3 seconds slower than usual, generally shoot clean but had 1 makeup here) Average time - 2.59 (approximately .06 slower than normal)

I think this is a great battery of drills that is pretty universal as it has no floor or ceiling. If you can safely draw a gun freestyle and sho then you can track your performance over time and get some solid data in the process. Like the 99 it has value in repetition vs a one and done test. This allows you to analyze what you're doing, make changes as necessary, and burn in the change a few times before moving on. It has 3 core skills that I value - drawing to a low percentage target plus follow up and recoil control, drawing to a high percentage target plus follow up and recoil control, and a strong hand only draw to a high percentage target with follow up and recoil control.

I've got data on this drill going back to 2019 on the 3x5 variant and have whittled away about 5 seconds off my agg and about .5 from the average as an overall. Consistency has improved as well as I achieve 20 hits in less strings than when I started tracking 4 years ago. I always enjoy running this but feel i've reached a point where I need to ratchet down a fair amount of dry practice to really make much more in gains. It is easy enough to do it where i am today and hold it within a two second window and a few tenths average but to knock out more significant performance I need to really trim the fat on my drawstroke and recoil control. I'm just not in a spot where I am allowing that sort of dry practice time to happen so I'll have to accept it as it is for now.
    Good shooting on the IQ. So the main difference between this time and last time was just in how you approached the drill?

That other drill from Doc looks good. I like that it has a SHO component.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Receiving some remote coaching, worked on 3 shot strings from 7y at a .35 split.

20220924_164912.jpg

Glock 17M

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I am trying to really ratchet down and live fire only what is necessary and to large extent what I am bad at. I need to shoot more, but ammo is not coming down and we are now paying for a child in college, sooo, I am dry firing daily and in some cases it has made a significant difference. We will get to that.

Up first was the Elanor drill from Sage Dynamics. This is a tough drill for me and hits things that we should always be looking to improve. Time to draw and hit a small target, transition, and recoil control. Out of 10 runs I had a number of misses and didn't make the par time once. I averaged about 2.60 seconds, so not that far off. As you can see. at 3 yards dot offset definitely comes into play as well.

PXL_20220925_195232191.jpg

After this I moved on to a current staple the Spaulding 9 in 9 drill. I have been working on components of this in various stages dry fire and noticed big improvements in my time. I was eager to see if they could be replicated in live fire. I was pleased to see they were. Out of 4 runs all of them were under 10 seconds with only a few close misses. 9 seconds may actually happen at some point. Most of time improvement has come from paying attention to the details, especially to make sure that as I fire the 3rd shot I am already moving. Maybe just a weight shift or shoulder dip, but already on the way to the next position. You cant just stand, fire 3 shots and then decide to move and still make the time.

Next up was the Hackathorn 3 second Head Standards. This is a good way for me to get a lot of reps on transitions with out being super high round count. I ran this 7 times and had 1 miss total and all strings were 3 seconds or under. My fastest string was a 2.58. This is for sure something I still need to work on and I will be upping my transition practice in dry fire. It is something I used to do a lot of.

I ended with a 10 round run at a B-8 at 25. Unfortunately emotion killed me on this one. I was seven rounds in and still all in the black so I got a little excited. 8th shot was just into the white. This bummed me out and I threw the 9th into the 7 and then finished with another into the black. Until I can get that sorted, it will be tough to make an all black run, let a lone a 100.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just curious, what is "PF"?

Oh, and I didn't make it to the range this weekend. Was supposed to go to a shoot on Saturday and it got cancelled and today I was at a memorial. I thought I could get up early enough to make deviled eggs, stop at the range on the way but I was wrong.

Took me much longer than I thought to make those eggs! No wonder they call them "deviled" eggs. :)

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Good shooting on the IQ. So the main difference between this time and last time was just in how you approached the drill?

For the most part yes. Last time I shot very conservatively because I wanted to guarantee A's, thinking that the penalty for not getting points would be worse than the added time. This time I let loose because after doing the math and playing with numbers I realized I could afford to let loose and accept a C and it would still pay off with a better score as long as I was shooting at the edge of my ability.

I used my numbers from the Gabe White tests for the bill drill for instance. On Gabe's drill I can afford to have a C because the concealment bonus compensates for it but I have to be at the top of my performance envelope to make it worth it so it's the same concept. There a 2.2x-2.3x is about all i can put down so I used those numbers when playing with the calculator to see what my potential would be. Because of blakes and triple nickel's I knew I could get my transitions close to that time so they plugged in to the transition time for potential. I run a high% version of the 99 drill using an A zone and a 1.75 par for three shots, based on past performance I knew I have been able to make 2 in 1.5 when pushing fairly regularly so that was the goal in mind on the d2. I really just gamed it out based on numbers from my performance tracking spreadsheets and pushed to achieve those times. This required me to accept C's in my mind vs only shooting A's and that's where my approach differed.

On the DocGKR drill, his version is just the 3x5 version. Just for clarification sake. I didn't want to accidentally attribute anything to him that he wasn't responsible for as I don't know that he would approve etc... The high % strings are my additions.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Just curious, what is "PF"?

Oh, and I didn't make it to the range this weekend. Was supposed to go to a shoot on Saturday and it got cancelled and today I was at a memorial. I thought I could get up early enough to make deviled eggs, stop at the range on the way but I was wrong.

Took me much longer than I thought to make those eggs! No wonder they call them "deviled" eggs. :)
    pistol-forum

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Went out with a coworker and knocked out a few drills/tests. For a cold drill I ran the current Rangemaster newsletter drill of the month, baseline assessment +p. I enjoyed this version better than the original as the par times better match the target difficulty for my current skill level.

Draw 5 to 3x5 @ 5 yards- 3.46 clean (25 points)
    Strong hand from ready 3 to 3x5 @ 5 yards - 2.4x clean (15 points)
    Weak hand from ready 2 to 3x5 @ 5 yards - 1.93 down 1 (5 points)
    From the ready, 3 reload 3 to 3" circles @ 7 yards - 7.88 clean (30 points)
    From ready 4 freestyle to 3x5 @ 10 yards - 3.83 clean (20 points)

Total score - 95 points

Top d5, bottom left 3 sho, right who 2

Left 3r3 at 7, right d4 at 10

Next up was the 5x5 drill (wilson idpa classifier version not Gila Hayes version). I hadn't run this in several years and I believe it has since been adopted by IDPA as a short classifier. All strings are at 10 yards

draw 5 freestyle - 3.19 clean
    draw 5 sho - 5.13 clean
    draw 5 reload 5 freestyle - 7.16 clean
    draw 4 to 8" then transition 1 to 4" - 3.41 clean

Total time - 18.89

From a cursory glance that is a master class time (I only checked the old pistol-training post and a quick google search so that may not be accurate). Due to time plus scoring, I shot this at a deliberate pace without accepting any -1's. If it was hit factor scoring I would have shot it less conservatively and accepted -1's. I think next time out I'll do Gabe Whites drill of shooting it several ways trying to maximize different scoring methodolgies just to compare. Checking my data going back to the drills first introduction, this is a pr for me. It makes sense as I didn't run dots when I used to run it regularly and the last time I did run a dot I was fairly new to them. Not a favorite anymore but it is a national standard to give an idea of where you are. Unless you make master where that standard is a huge envelope. I wish there were (and maybe there is?) a higher class than master since it's a rather low bar.

I finished messing around with Gabe White's 10-20-30 drill but it was a dumpster fire and I didn't finish it, choosing to save the ammo for another day.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This was one of those days when I think, "why bother with this sport? I just spend money that doesn't seem to pay back."

But I imagine we all have those days. We just don't post about them.

I ran the Acceleration drill with my Shield+ and Compact(irons and red dot, respectively). Both scored about the same. 1.2/1.0 seconds on singles, 1.4 for both on doubles.

Then I ran the 99 drill. Scored a 66, 6 better than last week. However I'm trying to decide if I need to continue with this drill because I suck at it or if maybe its a bit too advanced for my skill level and I need to work on drills that aren't so focused on speed.

I found myself basically point shooting and at times was pulling the trigger without seeing my dot. It seems like I'm not focusing on accuracy, grip, draw, etc.. I'm just trying to beat the par time.

I did better on the reload string since I stayed consistent with using the slide release to drop the slide.

Oh well, it was still a very nice morning to be at the range.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    That really stinks. I hate to see these courses simplified. Can you share the original one? I'm always looking for new quals to try
    Sorry just saw this.

Original everything 6 round mags. 3 yards from holster with Jacket. 3 seconds 2 rounds, then again, then again with reload. Repeat 12 rounds at that stage

Stage 2 18 rounds 7 yards same except a reload for 4 rounds total in 10 seconds. Then a 6 round mag with 3 shots from holster 4 seconds twice.

Second half 7 rounds weak hand only 6 seconds 2 rounds For 3 times 6 rounds

15 yards draws and shoot 2 rounds 5 seconds. 6 rounds. At the 6th round reload and shoot 2 more (4 total) 15 seconds reload. Finish mag in 2 shot strings at 5 seconds.

25 yards 18 rounds 2 round strings for 6 rounds 8 seconds per presentation. Right side barricade. Second mag left side barricade then last mag kneeling barricade kneeling for every 2 shots 2 presentation your strong side 1 your week side

66 rounds 30 first half 36 second total so you could shoot the back half and have an idea with less rounds) FLETC Blue/green Trans 2 target 247 min to pass 330 max

Any other specifics PM me

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    This was one of those days when I think, "why bother with this sport? I just spend money that doesn't seem to pay back."

But I imagine we all have those days. We just don't post about them.

I ran the Acceleration drill with my Shield+ and Compact(irons and red dot, respectively). Both scored about the same. 1.2/1.0 seconds on singles, 1.4 for both on doubles.

Then I ran the 99 drill. Scored a 66, 6 better than last week. However I'm trying to decide if I need to continue with this drill because I suck at it or if maybe its a bit too advanced for my skill level and I need to work on drills that aren't so focused on speed.

I found myself basically point shooting and at times was pulling the trigger without seeing my dot. It seems like I'm not focusing on accuracy, grip, draw, etc.. I'm just trying to beat the par time.

I did better on the reload string since I stayed consistent with using the slide release to drop the slide.

Oh well, it was still a very nice morning to be at the range.
    We definitely all have those days. I know I do.

Are you running the 99 with a 3X5 or 4X6? You are right if you are not even close you don't want to just throw ammo away and get frustrated. Most drills are scaleable. If you like the drill and think it will be helpful, use an 8 inch circle as your target. Conversely you could add a little time to the pars, just don't make it too easy. You want it to be difficult, but attainable.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Went out with a coworker and knocked out a few drills/tests. For a cold drill I ran the current Rangemaster newsletter drill of the month, baseline assessment +p. I enjoyed this version better than the original as the par times better match the target difficulty for my current skill level.

Draw 5 to 3x5 @ 5 yards- 3.46 clean (25 points)
    Strong hand from ready 3 to 3x5 @ 5 yards - 2.4x clean (15 points)
    Weak hand from ready 2 to 3x5 @ 5 yards - 1.93 down 1 (5 points)
    From the ready, 3 reload 3 to 3" circles @ 7 yards - 7.88 clean (30 points)
    From ready 4 freestyle to 3x5 @ 10 yards - 3.83 clean (20 points)

Total score - 95 points

Top d5, bottom left 3 sho, right who 2

Left 3r3 at 7, right d4 at 10

Next up was the 5x5 drill (wilson idpa classifier version not Gila Hayes version). I hadn't run this in several years and I believe it has since been adopted by IDPA as a short classifier. All strings are at 10 yards

draw 5 freestyle - 3.19 clean
    draw 5 sho - 5.13 clean
    draw 5 reload 5 freestyle - 7.16 clean
    draw 4 to 8" then transition 1 to 4" - 3.41 clean

Total time - 18.89

From a cursory glance that is a master class time (I only checked the old pistol-training post and a quick google search so that may not be accurate). Due to time plus scoring, I shot this at a deliberate pace without accepting any -1's. If it was hit factor scoring I would have shot it less conservatively and accepted -1's. I think next time out I'll do Gabe Whites drill of shooting it several ways trying to maximize different scoring methodolgies just to compare. Checking my data going back to the drills first introduction, this is a pr for me. It makes sense as I didn't run dots when I used to run it regularly and the last time I did run a dot I was fairly new to them. Not a favorite anymore but it is a national standard to give an idea of where you are. Unless you make master where that standard is a huge envelope. I wish there were (and maybe there is?) a higher class than master since it's a rather low bar.

I finished messing around with Gabe White's 10-20-30 drill but it was a dumpster fire and I didn't finish it, choosing to save the ammo for another day.
    Good shooting. I assume you were running a dot gun in which case that is not quite master. You need a 18.47 for CO master. I agree there needs to be another level. It is only going to get worse with the new match bump rules. Laws of attrition will come into place after a while and you will have people classified as Maters who probably can't even pass Expert on the 5X5. You are also right in thinking you have to shoot it clean. At 1 second per point down, it is really hard to shoot fast enough to make up points.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom