What drills did you run this week and how did you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Rangemaster Sept. DOM Advanced Bullseye Course.

PXL_20220828_231840710.jpg
    25 yards 16.22 seconds (30 sec par) 46/50
    15 yards 6.3 seconds (15 sec par) 47/50
    7 yards 8.59 seconds (12 sec par) 100/100
    5 yards 2.78 seconds (5 sec par) 50/50
    5 yards 2.4 seconds (3 sec par) 30/30
    5 yards 1.83 seconds (2 sec par) 20/20

293/300 points, shot from the ready. 7 yard stage includes a reload.

Not bad, wish it didn't have the 2 in the white. The one from 15 was sorta an ND as I got in too much of a hurry and pressed the trigger before I was ready.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Most everyone has heard of the Vickers/Hackathon drill called the Test, or 10-10-10 drill. Depending on who is running it, that is 10 shots at 10 yards in 10 seconds on a B-8 bull looking for 90 points or all in the black (depending on who you ask) as a passing score.

This is a solid medium skill level drill. There are all kinds of variations. I typically use what I call the half test on a 3X5, basically because it does the same thing with less rounds. 5 shots, 5 seconds, 10 yards.

Recently I saw Bill Blowers post a very advanced skill level version of this and thought I would give it a try. It is as tough as I guessed it would be. Not sure what he is calling it I refer to it as the double test. 2 B-8s, 10 yards, 10 shots on each, with a reload in between, and a 95 point or better on each to pass. Ouch! My somewhat feeble attempt.
    PXL_20220828_230131417.jpg

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I didn't make it to the range this week, but I'm subscribing so I can post drills I do in the future. It will good to humble(humiliate?) myself on a forum! :)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I didn't make it to the range this week, but I'm subscribing so I can post drills I do in the future. It will good to humble(humiliate?) myself on a forum! :)
    Your actual performance is not the point. The point is are you putting in the work and making improvements. There are a lot of shooters out there that can humble me as well. I am just hoping for a little more participation in this sub forum.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I also ran the rm dotm. I made all times and scored a 285. I attached a pic of the final b8 below.

Then i ran the 99 drill on a 3x5 and scored a humble 78 after a personal best 86 run last week.

Failure to prep and just snatching that trigger pulled several low off the card. I'm still not ashamed of the 78 as that's about where i was on the 4x6 variation when i used to run it regularly. The 3x5 version is all i do now. I missed the par on the first string a few times, a sweatshirt and t shirt to guard from the rain got caught up a few times and 3 to a 3x5 in 2.5 takes everything ive got, most days.

Attachments

• 20220829_091758.jpg
      20220829_091758.jpg
      188.1 KB · Views: 6

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I also ran the rm dotm. I made all times and scored a 285. I attached a pic of the final b8 below.

Then i ran the 99 drill on a 3x5 and scored a humble 78 after a personal best 86 run last week.

Failure to prep and just snatching that trigger pulled several low off the card. I'm still not ashamed of the 78 as that's about where i was on the 4x6 variation when i used to run it regularly. The 3x5 version is all i do now. I missed the par on the first string a few times, a sweatshirt and t shirt to guard from the rain got caught up a few times and 3 to a 3x5 in 2.5 takes everything ive got, most days.
    I really like the 99 drill and would do it more often if ammo wasn't so expensive still. I tend to bounce around too much on drills. Coach was always busting my chops about that.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    As in doing so many different drills?
    Sort of. More like not finishing a drill before you move on to another one. I am bad about just jumping on to the next cool drill. The drill should be the tool, not the goal. For example, at a recent match a buddy observed I was shooting all of the targets regardless of distance or difficulty at the same pace. He was not wrong, even though I know better. Next time at the range I did a bunch of reps on a couple of changing gears drills. Then to test my time management I ran the FBI qual.
    PXL_20220819_154923194.jpg
    It sort of turned out this probably wasn't the best test for this because even though you have to shoot different cadence's to make par times, the test isn't difficult enough to push me.
    I need to pick a test that is beyond reach, then pick a couple of drills that would get me there and stick with it until it happens. That is often where I fall down.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a core set of drills I was doing for quite some time and then I starting coming across more drills, several from you, lol.

I need to dial it back a bit and focus on less.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I really like the 99 drill and would do it more often if ammo wasn't so expensive still. I tend to bounce around too much on drills. Coach was always busting my chops about that.
    Same here. I tend to do a bunch of tests and other drills vs actually repping a specific thing, or part of, i need to improve. But it keeps me interested despite possibly slowing progression.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Impromptu range day due to an unplanned day off work.

I came up with a new drill the other day, drawing from and extrapolating times to other distances, using a combination of the defoor pistol test #1, part of the lapd d platoon swat qual, and defoor hat qual qualities, and the test in a way. 10 rounds on a b8 from the holster, in two round strings, from 25,20,15,10, and 5. 90 or better with par time starting at 4 seconds at 25. Knock a half second off for every 5 yards, so 20 is 3.5, 15 is 3, 10 is 2.5, and 5 is 2 seconds.So it looks like this -

25 yards - draw 2 in 4 seconds
    20 yards - draw 2 in 3.5 seconds
    15 yards - draw 2 in 3 seconds
    10 yards - draw 2 in 2.5 seconds
    5 yards - draw 2 in 2 seconds

I ran this mid session yesterday and made the times but dropped too many points. Today I ran it cold and pulled off a 90 but was OT on the 25 yard string by .31.

Since I already had the LTT target up I utilized the 4" circle and did 5 runs of the first string of the 99 drill (d3 in 2.5). 4/5 were under par and I dropped 1 of the 15. Psyched for that.

Next I threw my hat down and tried the double test that MVS mentioned above. I made the par by the skin of my teeth but did horribly on the first b8 (a miss, 3-7's, 2-8's, 2-9's, 2-10's) for 25 down there alone. I managed to clean up the second b8 with a 96. I noticed erratic dot behaviour on the first b8 and consciously fixed my grip coming off the reload and had consistent vertical paint striping of the dot which resulted in stacking 6 shots in the 10 ring and 4 scattered in the lower 9 ring. Tough drill.

A half hearted 10@25 resulted in 17 down. I didn't put much effort in and really just went through the motions as I had been chasing hundo for awhile. I should've kept my ammo as I just didn't give it the proper attention it needed for good results.

A friend who has always been a shooting buddy but just recently took an interest in working on pistol performance had been turned on to TLG by me recently. He was talking about a few of the drills that he wanted to try off the pt site and press six came up. I mentioned garcia dots once he does well on that and in prep for our next time together I used my last 5 rounds to do a partial Garcia dot run. I managed 4/5 in 4.37 @ 7 yards. If my final 3 splits continued for the 6 I could have made par, but if my initial split was an indicator I would have been over. Regardless I dropped 1 but am still very happy with the performance. I haven't ran a full Garcia dot drill in years so I will have to go way back to see my PR, but I will be looking forward to working on it a few times over the next few sessions. Great fun and a solid close to the day!

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Id hope most people here are willing to help you improve so dont worry about it. I myself plan on posting a few drills I need improvement on here soon.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Fridays range day is usually IDPA practice day during the season. Today I wanted to continue to work on shooting faster when I need to. I started with Ben Stoegers doubles and after some reps with that I went to dummy doubles. This is set up with live, dummy, live, dummy and so on. You are attempting to shoot fast doubles but of course the hammer falls on a dummy for the second shot so it gives you a good feel for what you are doing with your trigger press and grip.

Next up I wanted to go to changing gears but didn't want to drag out a bunch of target stands so I set up run Blake drills but just used the head on the middle target. I did this from open and then from cover.

As the test for these drills I used the old Air Marshall qual which has some IDPA crossover with splits, transitions, reloads, and some limited movement. I did not use the correct target as I had only brought IDPA and bullseye targets with me. I did manage to make the times and keep all of my shots in the down zero so I am calling that a pass.

To finish up I like to do some sort of accuracy based drill so I shot heads from the draw at 25 with my last 5 rounds. 4 were in the down zero head circle with the 5th being just outside the outer perf so calling that a miss. Gave myself a 3 second par for those, so sorta like a Pressburg no fail drill but half the rounds.

Unfortunately with ammo costs I am limiting most sessions to around 150 rounds. You have to have a plan to get the most out of that limited amount of shooting so I try to never go without planning ahead of time and try to never just blast away.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    No drills per se today because it was match time. I think, this may be an example of where a wide variety of drills may come in handy. There was a difficult stage today that was the only stage I won. It was very similar to a stage from last months MI State Championship match. At that match I placed 6th out of over 100 shooters on that stage. It is hard to describe the stage, but it involved Strong hand only, Support hand only, reload, shooting from seated or kneeling around a barricade with a moving no shoot in the way for some of the shots. If you look at the scores, there was a wiiiiide level of scoring.

stage

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I ran some drills today with my 2.0 Compact and my fresh Apex Forward Set trigger.

CSAT drill,
    Plate rack
    Texas Star
    Scat Drill
    Bill Drill

I really like the new trigger. Wish I would have changed it a long time ago. I have been fighting that pistol for several years now and ever since I added the red dot, I thought it was the dot that was giving me the trouble.

I still need to get more reps in having the dot line up quickly, but I shot that Compact today fairly well.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I ran some drills today with my 2.0 Compact and my fresh Apex Forward Set trigger.

CSAT drill,
    Plate rack
    Texas Star
    Scat Drill
    Bill Drill

I really like the new trigger. Wish I would have changed it a long time ago. I have been fighting that pistol for several years now and ever since I added the red dot, I thought it was the dot that was giving me the trouble.

I still need to get more reps in having the dot line up quickly, but I shot that Compact today fairly well.
    Are these drills you have ran before with this gun? How do you feel the new trigger helped you are changed the way you shot? Speed? Accuracy?

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    We started a 3X5 drill of the month drill to try and get folks in to just test their skills. This month we call it “the devil’s challenge “ 6 rounds 6 seconds and 6 yards. We are going to see how fast you can do it and then if you do that 1 second splits how close to a one hole you can do it. The idea is also to run it cold.

Wasn’t happy with the low hit but it cut the card so it counted. This was with my S&W Model 15 Revolver and 158 SWC

Attachments

• 1E8A947A-86B2-4201-ADC9-FBEE872C82D3.jpeg
      1E8A947A-86B2-4201-ADC9-FBEE872C82D3.jpeg
      153.4 KB · Views: 9

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Are these drills you have ran before with this gun? How do you feel the new trigger helped you are changed the way you shot? Speed? Accuracy?
    They are drills I have run but it had been a long time since I shot those with the Compact. I had been shooting them with my 1911.

Since my times/accuracy were approaching my 1911 scores, I felt pretty good.

Two things I noticed today:
    1. I wasn't shooting low and left anymore
    2. I was quicker with the follow up shots.

Oh, I also ran Dot Torture. I did better but still didn't clean it, lol.

My Scat drill was not as good as my best previous, but I need more time to reacquaint myself to the dot. I've been shooting my 1911 exclusively for several months now.

I dropped the Texas Star faster than in the past and the plate rack turned in some good times for me, especially since I didn't clean the rack in my two attempts.

And what I liked about the Bill Drills was that the shots were in the black of the target I was using and not stringing low and left.

Top Bottom