What drills did you run this week and how did you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The original one. The new one is a joke
    Yea unfortunately several agencies have watered down their COF. The one I retired from had a new COF they were trying to get approved but it had a stage with head shots that the Agency Attorney was wrapped around the axel.

Guess he didn’t realize he special teams and supers did head shots as their annual certification the last 25 years but line staff it’s too much!

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Yea unfortunately several agencies have watered down their COF. The one I retired from had a new COF they were trying to get approved but it had a stage with head shots that the Agency Attorney was wrapped around the axel.

Guess he didn’t realize he special teams and supers did head shots as their annual certification the last 25 years but line staff it’s too much!
    That really stinks. I hate to see these courses simplified. Can you share the original one? I'm always looking for new quals to try

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Short session today due to lack of ammo. Had to save enough for IDPA match tomorrow. Have another case coming next week.

Started with the Riley Bowman Pistol IQ Standards. These tests definitely don't play to my strengths as there is a big emphasis on draw speed and splits. That is why I worked them. I reran some of the stages for practice, especially the half test as I was upset I didn't get a clean score out of the gate. Shot the Staccato C2 as I plan on shooting it for the first time in an IDPA match tomorrow EDC AIWB. Ended up with a 135 after subtracting the .25 per draw for concealment.

After that I continued to work on the Spaulding 9 in 9 drill as I find it valuable as well as challenging.

I ended as I always try to do with accuracy. With only 5 rounds left I shot them at a B-8 from 25 yards and dropped 1 into the 9 ring for a 49.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That is how I understand it.
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around scoring this. I'm not too well versed in the use of my shot timer.

Looking at the first string: Do I shoot rep #1, check my timer and if over par, deduct the point and log it. Then rep # 2 and so on?

Or can I shoot all 10 reps and somehow access the timer history and record them after I finish the string?

I have a Pocket Pro II timer.

This is how I built my spreadsheet to track progress: Any suggestions?

1663346746292.png

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around scoring this. I'm not too well versed in the use of my shot timer.

Looking at the first string: Do I shoot rep #1, check my timer and if over par, deduct the point and log it. Then rep # 2 and so on?

Or can I shoot all 10 reps and somehow access the timer history and record them after I finish the string?

View attachment 224526
    AFAIK you will have to do it the first way you describe. There are probably some shot timers you could wrangle into recording all of the strings, but to my knowledge that is not the case with the ones I use, including the Pocket Pro 2. I would not be adverse to being proven wrong. I typically just make a mental note of it and track it at the end of the string as I am not quite that picky.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN

View attachment 224526
    I write down the time and hits under par after every string. It is tedious but least prone to mental and recording errors etc...I believe accurate recording is important to tracking performance over time.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I ran the Acceleration drill first. For singles, I avg 1.15-ish seconds, for doubles I averaged 1.3 seconds.

Then I ran the 99 drill. For string #1, I was over par time on all reps except # 10, but I still missed the target.

For String #2 my reloads killed me. Only two reps(7&8) was I able to get the second shot off within par time. I need to decide how I'm going to release the slide. I'm used to using the slide release on my 1911 and I can do it decently well. The release is smaller on my M&P but I think with practice that will be fastest method. With the dot I don't like over handing it.

For strings 3 and 4 the extra time helped. I scored better and I could slow down a bit to be more accurate.

String 1: 15 points
    String 2: 12 points
    String 3: 25 points
    String 4: 8 points

What I liked about both of these drills is it has me pushing the speed. The acceleration drill is from compressed ready so though I'm not ready for prime time, I scored several sub 1 second hits.

These drills will help me take the shot without having that perfect sight picture.

I may have to look at a different holster. I'm not sure if it's the angle I am pulling the pistol or what, but it wants to come up with me on the draw. I have it set loose. Loose like it wouldn't be allowed in competition.

Target:
    99 Drill-220918.jpg

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Once again feeding off of this thread, and MVS in particular, I gave the Pistol IQ standards a try. I'm working two jobs now and spare time is going to family so dry fire doesn't happen anymore and it is certainly showing. Deliberate but slow using this as a cold test from concealment.

Half Test - 50 in 4.28 (25 toward score)
    D2 - 2A in 1.74 (1.49 after concealment bonus and a 6.71 HF)
    Bill - 6A in 3.19(2.94 after concealment bonus and a 10.2 HF)
    Transitions - 5A in 3.03(2.78 after concealment bonus and 8.99HF)
    Throttle - 6A in 4.02(3.77 after concealment bonus and 7.95 HF)

58.85(HF's plus half of the test score) x2 = 117.7 Pistol IQ (high B)

Interesting test to add and chase for a little bit maybe. I messed up the math initially (didn't half the test score nor did I x2 that for final) and generally prefer simpler scoring methodology but now that I have it figured out it's fine. I particularly like the Throttle stage as I find lots of benefit in changing gears type drills.

After this I ran a variety of things that utilized the 3 target array. A modified triple nickel (4.74 with 4 C's), hack heads (clean under par on all strings), hack heads sho from the holster (7/9 points with 1 being outside par and 1 miss), and hack heads who from the ready (7/9 1 over par and 1 miss).

I wasn't happy with my cold draw performance so I worked it to a high percentage target for a bit (lower A) and steadily worked it down until the wheels fell off. My last draw was a .98 but it was purely from index and I did not have a dot in the window, simply a hail mary just to see what happened. The rest of them were 1.2x-1.3x with a few 1.1x.

Next we put up LTT targets and I ran a 96 on the 15 yard string of the advanced supertest from HITS. A magazine of d3 to the 4" circle using a 2.5 par (first string of the 99) were all under par and had 1 out. We finished with a modified version of the garcia dot drill. Instead of starting at 7 we chose to start at 3 and do a walkback with every clean run to scale it to my shooting partners ability. I got sloppy and dropped a shot each on the first two runs at 3 then passed the third attempt. The next three runs were all at 5 without success. To end the day I did two attempts of the original string (6 in 5 at 7) and i dropped 2 each try and went over par on 1. Great and challenging drill. Certainly makes you focus hard on a perfect press at relative speed and forces a good solid grip. Much easier with a dot than when I used to run it with irons though.

I hope we keep feeding and pushing each other in this thread as my other gun related haunts are a bit stale in that regard as of late and I'm enjoying it here. Reminiscent of days of old when it was par for the course at my regular hangout. I hope the others participating in this thread are getting as much from it as I am and that others decide to join in and keep it going.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Once again feeding off of this thread, and MVS in particular, I gave the Pistol IQ standards a try. I'm working two jobs now and spare time is going to family so dry fire doesn't happen anymore and it is certainly showing. Deliberate but slow using this as a cold test from concealment.

Half Test - 50 in 4.28 (25 toward score)
    D2 - 2A in 1.74 (1.49 after concealment bonus and a 6.71 HF)
    Bill - 6A in 3.19(2.94 after concealment bonus and a 10.2 HF)
    Transitions - 5A in 3.03(2.78 after concealment bonus and 8.99HF)
    Throttle - 6A in 4.02(3.77 after concealment bonus and 7.95 HF)

58.85(HF's plus half of the test score) x2 = 117.7 Pistol IQ (high B)

Interesting test to add and chase for a little bit maybe. I messed up the math initially (didn't half the test score nor did I x2 that for final) and generally prefer simpler scoring methodology but now that I have it figured out it's fine. I particularly like the Throttle stage as I find lots of benefit in changing gears type drills.

After this I ran a variety of things that utilized the 3 target array. A modified triple nickel (4.74 with 4 C's), hack heads (clean under par on all strings), hack heads sho from the holster (7/9 points with 1 being outside par and 1 miss), and hack heads who from the ready (7/9 1 over par and 1 miss).

I wasn't happy with my cold draw performance so I worked it to a high percentage target for a bit (lower A) and steadily worked it down until the wheels fell off. My last draw was a .98 but it was purely from index and I did not have a dot in the window, simply a hail mary just to see what happened. The rest of them were 1.2x-1.3x with a few 1.1x.

Next we put up LTT targets and I ran a 96 on the 15 yard string of the advanced supertest from HITS. A magazine of d3 to the 4" circle using a 2.5 par (first string of the 99) were all under par and had 1 out. We finished with a modified version of the garcia dot drill. Instead of starting at 7 we chose to start at 3 and do a walkback with every clean run to scale it to my shooting partners ability. I got sloppy and dropped a shot each on the first two runs at 3 then passed the third attempt. The next three runs were all at 5 without success. To end the day I did two attempts of the original string (6 in 5 at 7) and i dropped 2 each try and went over par on 1. Great and challenging drill. Certainly makes you focus hard on a perfect press at relative speed and forces a good solid grip. Much easier with a dot than when I used to run it with irons though.

I hope we keep feeding and pushing each other in this thread as my other gun related haunts are a bit stale in that regard as of late and I'm enjoying it here. Reminiscent of days of old when it was par for the course at my regular hangout. I hope the others participating in this thread are getting as much from it as I am and that others decide to join in and keep it going.
    Nice work. I have to recheck my math on the Pistol IQ test as my numbers are pretty close to yours. I should not have figured it out at the range. I will recheck and adjust my post if required.

I need work on draws and changing gears as well. The draws of course can be largely worked dry though I think the changing gears will require a fair expenditure of ammo. As far as fast draws go, I waffle between being jealous of the guys who can do sub second, and realizing that is not necessary. But by saying that, am I just giving myself an out to not put in the work?

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Today was back to the Q5 and will be for the next 3 weeks until the Holiday Havoc IDPA match. Yesterday saw 4 good stages using my C2 from appendix and one soup sandwich stage. I had to re run my last stage due to an activator not activating and a re shoot almost never goes better. Anyway, I wander off topic.

Since I put a new recoil assembly in the Q5 (hard to get the stock ones right now), and had to settle for a case of Magtech ammo, I wanted to check pistol function and zero. I chose to use the Complete Combatant bullseye test for this. I scored a 283/300 which isn't great but is acceptable. I did notice a slight low right pattern as distance increased. I am pretty sure there was a little dominant hand squeezing as the shot went off going on.

Because of the Major match coming up, I will be doing more match related drills than normal. Today I picked the Ben Stoeger/Hwansick Kim (spelling) Track the A zone drill. It was a bit of a pain to get the 4 targets and 2 barrels set up right so when I finally got close I ran the drill a number of times after establishing a baseline. For me, this drill worked a lot of things in addition to what it is supposed to. This drill is in Ben's Practical Shooting Training book, and he talks about it in this video.

Up until this point I had been shooting my plan for the day but decided to throw the Wilson/IDPA 5X5 in. I don't practice this repeatedly but just throw it in sometimes. I would like to get to where I can run a Master run on demand with it. Not there yet. Today the times went well but I really threw 1 shot and that is all it takes.
    String 1 D5 2.67 clean. This was a good run
    String 2 D5 SHO 4.00 -1 This was a good run time wise but trying for clean.
    String 3 D5R5 -3 6.69 good time even with a slow 2.35 reload but somewhere the grip got loose and one went into the down 3.
    String 4 D4 body 1 head 3.04. OK time.
    Raw time was 2 seconds under the time I need for Master, but adding the 4 second penalty I was in the middle of Expert. I can run this scoring Master, but not every time.

Finished with 5 at 25 on a B8. Put one in the 8 ring and 1 in the 9 for a 47. It is always a bummer to put one out of the black when there is no time limit.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So I need to learn more about the "lingo" of drills. What does D5 and the like mean? I'm thinking it's 5 shots, but what does the "D" stand for?

Same with Hack Heads and Triple Nickel.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    This was my last drill, 3 weeks ago

1. Chase groundhog for about 20 yards because I knew where he was going. Also gets the heart rate up.
    2. Draw
    3. Fire 2 shots at 30 feet. Not sure which one hit him but at that range and that small of moving target I'm happy.
    4. Holster weapon.
    5. Gloat to the wife that "another one bites the dust"
    6d613346f345d50f9fa99e6444100e49.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    This was my last drill, 3 weeks ago

1. Chase groundhog for about 20 yards because I knew where he was going. Also gets the heart rate up.
    2. Draw
    3. Fire 2 shots at 30 feet. Not sure which one hit him but at that range and that small of moving target I'm happy.
    4. Holster weapon.
    5. Gloat to the wife that "another one bites the dust"
    6d613346f345d50f9fa99e6444100e49.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    The only good woodchuck is a dead woodchuck.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    So I need to learn more about the "lingo" of drills. What does D5 and the like mean? I'm thinking it's 5 shots, but what does the "D" stand for?

Same with Hack Heads and Triple Nickel.
    Names of specific drills and tests.

Top Bottom