What drills did you run this week and how did you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Had to scratch an itch and ran a friends m&p today. It's a 5" pc with ports. I don't get the same noticeable performance with the ports as I do with say a pmm comp. Just lots of extra noise. But I do enjoy m&p's. Regardless, anymore when I venture away from glock (or variants) I generally just find myself wanting to return. I guess you need to see what's out there to appreciate what you have sometimes.

I was recently reminded elsewhere of a drill I made up several years ago and hadn't ran in some time. The 10 in 10 all hands drill is pretty much a variation on The Test. Shot on a b8, you pick the yardage you are most comfortable with and draw to shoot 10 rounds. The twist is that you do four freestyle, three sho, then three who in 10 seconds. While I've done all kinds of variations of scoring (just for points, time, hitfactor, steel) the variant that I ran today was all in the black under 10 then you move back and do it again (Gabe W helped come up with that variant when we ran it as a dotw on the home forum). The furthest distance you go all black under 10 is your score.

Cold I cleaned it but went over time. I had a dimmer than preferred dot that I could see but wasn't easy to track. I lost it completely when I transferred to who and during who recoil. Yikes!

10.76 clean at 5

I gave it another run and knocked off 2.5 seconds, nearly, but dropped two outside the black.

8.3 down 2

Seeing this wasn't bearing fruit, I decided to move on to the main course. My 20 hits battery is simply taking the standard 20 hits drill designed by Gary Roberts and adding on additional strings. The classic version is shot on a 3x5 card. You draw and place two shots on a 3x5 at 7 yards and record your time and hits. Repeat until you have 20 hits. Your score is your total time it took to get 20 hits (adding all strings together). If you only get 1 hit per run you'll have 20 runs. If you miss 1 over the course of fire you'll shoot an extra run (11) to make up for the missed hit. Miss three and you'll have 2 makeups and so on, as you only can and must shoot two shots per string. For my battery I also add a high percentage target for 20 hits and a high percentage target SHO for 20 hits making a nice 60 round practice that you actually get to drill and get repetition.

I started with the standard 3x5 string. My total time was 25.62 and it took 12 runs to get 20 hits (3 misses) with an average run of 2.13. My fastest run was 1.98 and my slowest was 2.36. I've been at this pace for years but I still enjoy the drill.

Next was the high percentage string using a b8 with 8 ring for the 8" circle. My total time was 19.18 and was clean in 10 runs. Average run was 1.91 with a single fouled draw that was 2.49. Excluding that run then I had a 1.85 avg. A touch slower than my logged avg by a tenth or two but that could be due to cover garment that wasn't as fast(still cold!) or simply not my gun. I use the too little practice excuse too often so I'll use the former ;)

Finally the SHO on an 8". With one miss on the very first string it took 11 runs to make 20 hits. I absolutely got hung up bad with my shirt getting stuck on a clip and had to pretty much re draw on one run which ended up being a nasty 5.08. On the other end of the spectrum my fastest run was 2.56. My average was 3.06 but 2.85 without the screwup. I'm pretty consistenly 2.5x here so it's on the high side for sure. My total time was 33.69.

I really dig running this and it makes great for comparing different guns. If you run it for hitfactor you would really see the minor differences. You can also adapt it to various tasks that matter to you - distance, who, reloads, varied target sizes. I like the idea of the upper A or 2" as a hyper accuracy at speed dynamic and may start doing that as well.

Since I had just a few rounds left at this point I ran one last 10 in 10 all hands, being hopeful since i was warmed up and actually drilled 2/3's of the core skills in that test over this session. I was rewarded with a clean 5 yard run in 7.63 so I get to actually claim a score other than zero for the day! 5 yard pin unlocked ;) The gulf between that and my cold performance is substantial. That should be a clue.

I finished with 4 rounds sitting in the box and decided to do two runs of sho draw at 7 to a 3x5, as if I were doing 20 hits to a low percentage target. First run was a stellar 2.87 clean (right along with my average for the high percentage) immediately followed with two mikes in 3.03, just to knock me down a peg or to so as to not get a big head.

Next week I may be busy but should be good to go the following week. That's the NRA show weekend but I don't think I am going despite urging from friends. I don't need that kind of temptation right now.
    I am going to have to read that again to digest it all. There may be some nuggets there.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Nor drills per se for me today. It was my first IDPA match of the season. It was a little weird. The club I shot at is typically the most competitive of the 4 I shoot on a semi regular basis. I placed 5th out of 50 overall. What was weird is that I didn't have any bad screw ups but nothing great either. Compared to normal my time was faster but I was more points down than usual. I was a little disappointed that all of that vision training over the winter didn't seem to carry over. Of course once that buzzer sounds and you are in front of your peers, things tend to go out the window. I will have to get my outdoor dry fire stages set back up outside at home.

As a side note. The Sig didn't seem to hold me back except for a little in the pure speed split department. The trigger reset on the 320's is really weak compared to something like a Glock and can lead to some trigger freeze when really trying to go fast. I had noticed that in practice over the winter but it had got better when I added a plus trigger return spring.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Day off work today so I got a pretty good practice session in and then went and helped set up for tomorrows IDPA match.

I was eager to test the Walther out after the recent problems and had some new LOK grips on it I wanted to try. I completely disassembled and cleaned the upper last weekend and brought out some AE 147 as I know the gun has run that flawlessly for 1,000's of rounds in the past. As far as function I ran 50 rounds of the 147 AE no problems, and 78 rounds of Remington Range with one failure to extract similar to what I was getting before. One thing I will say is the difference in recoil impulse between these 2 rounds is huge, especially when you consider this is a 44 ounce gun. I may go with suggestions I found on the Walther forum and add a heavier extractor spring. Apparently this is a known issue. Weird thing is, it is new to me with a lot of time and rounds through this gun.

On to the drills. Started with the Spaulding 3 round fadeback on a 3X5 and was 15/18. It came to me later I have not re zeroed for this ammo. Need to do that before the Bianchi cup match. Next it was on to the CTT SIT I ran last week with the Legion. I figured this would be a good function check as there are different kinds of shooting in this. It was a mixed bag. I ran it 2 times, once with the AE147 and once with the RR 115. Both runs were faster than anything I had run previously. I ran the last string multiple times as it is the one I am furthest off the pace with. That is 3R3 from 25 yards. According to Pannone a level one time on this is 5.5 seconds and 1 charlie allowed. That is impressive. Running it at what felt like my fastest reaction shooting pace yielded me a bunch of high 6 second runs, but none of them were clean. This is a pretty good string to run as it really tests your vision, grip, press, draw reload. I was trying to just recover from recoil and as soon as the dot settled in the correct spot on the target I would press the trigger.

I switched to the Legion with CS slide and SRO next. I started with a 47/50 on a 25 yard B-8 and then rolled into a SWYNTS session. I felt a little rusty on this as it has been a busy week and I didn't dry fire it every day. At 15 I made all the pars. At 7 I missed one, and at 3 I didn't make any. Any bad shots seemed to come from a late to the party support hand. More dry work to do with that. I ran the 3 yard stage twice since it is my weakest.

At this point I wanted to try Backtrail's 10 in 10 all hands. I started at 5 yards and had to run it 4 times to get a clean (all in the black) run. I made par every time with a 9.07, 9.04, 8.71, and 9.23. The problem was I kept dropping a WHO shot until the last run. By this time I felt like I had the sequence locked in and ran a clean 7 yard string on the first attempt at 9.39.

PXL_20230407_160640790.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230407_161451207.MP.jpg

Finished the session up with a 10 round run at 25. This had the potential to be all black. The low right 8 ring was all me and I called it seeing the dot break that way with a bad mash. Not sure where the high left one came from.
    PXL_20230407_162025350.MP.jpg

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    So match again yesterday. 5th place again. Lot of the same shooters attend this match and there was an addition of one good shooter. It was a very tough match with a lot of tight shots and a lot of non-threats. I went down way more points than normal, as did most of the crowd. There was a lot of One-handed shooting involved. This is not something that happens a lot in IDPA matches, but this match director likes to make things as difficult as possible. Maybe that's why the turnout is so low at this one. It's hard to know what to work on because there's not time to work on everything and you have to prioritize.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Tomorrow's plan (while subject to change on a whim ;) ) is as follows -

Cold drill - 10 in 10 all hands x 3 - 30 rounds

20 hits 2" @ 7 - 20 plus misses...30 rounds?

my modified version of LAPD swat d platoon qual but utilizing cover - 36 rounds

It has a been a very long time since i've shot from cover/barricade/concealment etc... the plan is for the longer stages that require three strings to be shot right, left, kneeling and then the closer 2 string stages to be right and left. I'll just use a target stapled higher to block vision etc...to simulate unless the barrels at the club are handy. Should make for an interesting comparison to see how that changes performance, as I have a good amount of data on this qual.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I followed the plan to a T.

Cold All Hands - 8.53 -2 who @ 5

Second run - 8.77@5 clean

Third run - 9.73 @ 7 -1 who

I think I'll continue with this for a while. I need some more single handed shooting. If one didn't believe in the utility of who, you could get a lot of benefit out of doing 5 fs 5 sho as well I believe.

Next was 20 hits but one 2" dot. I did this one a touch differently as i wanted to do some shooting with a g45 and an overwatch trigger. I decided to run the first 5 dots with my carry 19 with a grip anchor and then the second 5 dots with the g45/overwatch using the same upper on both. I went down 1 on each of the sets of 5 but my times were faster with the 19 and grip anchor with factory gen 5 trigger. While the overwatch is nice and lighter I find it less predictable when trying to be precise(shooting at 25 with this trigger previously yielded similar results). Whether that is familiarity or trigger characteristics I'm unsure but with practice the .1 average difference would likely fade and is most probably inconsequential. But for my current needs I see no reason to f around with aftermarket triggers in my glocks. (though I will most certainly try an oem performance trigger at some point ;) )

My g19 times were -
    2.74 clean
    2.42 clean
    2.41 clean
    2.48 clean
    2.58 -1

g45 times were

2.73 -1
    2.59 clean
    2.53 clean
    2.68 clean
    2.60 clean

then the makeup runs for the misses were 2.64 -1 and because i dropped the ball there a 2.41 clean to finish. 2.56 average across all runs with a 30.81 aggregate. This is faster than my sho to a high percentage target by about .3-.5 per string. That shows me that if at all possible I want two hands on the gun. I can hit a much smaller target (2" vs 8") in a faster time, enough so that it's reaching an additional round as far as the difference. We already knew that one handed shooting sucks but we need it, just like our brussel sprouts.

I finished with the modified lapd swat qual (b8 lower and 3x5 headbox) from behind cover. Dobbs said 90% was a very squared away shooter on my first version. I scored below that today with the barricade. 316 (90% is 324) with one shot being overtime by .05 that lost me 10 points and a 3x5 miss at 3 yards(i made the 2 second par but hurried trying to make up for leaning around cover). I ran the 25 and 15 yard strings as right side, left side, right side kneeling and then the remaining strings as right side and left side. The breakdown was as follows

25 yards - 55/60

15 yards - 52/60

10 yards - 58/60

7 yards - 50/60 (60/60 but .05 ot on one string for -10)

5 yards - 57/60

3 yards - 44/60 ( 1 mike on 3xt for -10)

Fun variant. I think this is a phenomenal test for the average person to attain to, by itself without modifiers, and I will continue to use it in it's various forms going forward.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    A few highlights from today. Started cold with the Q5 and all hands at 5. I am being a little generous and calling this a pass. I also mistakenly ran a standard 10-10-7 in 6.87 because I forgot to switch hands, as well as a 10-10 all hands at 7 which was all black but overtime at 10.38
    PXL_20230414_195830116.MP.jpg

After some zero confirming with the 147 AE at 10 and 25. I then went to the plate rack and shot the distances and times for the bianchi Cup falling steel stage. I ended up with a few misses at 20 and 1 at 25. I finished up the Q5 with a 50 yard Zero check. The group looked good vertically but was strung out a little horizontally. 7 rounds because that is how much 147 I had left.
    PXL_20230414_203003171.MP.jpg

IDPA match tomorrow so time to switch to the Sig. I have to say I really dig the Warren advanced 3 second standards backtrail turned me on to. There is a lot of relevant stuff there. It went well today and I made 56 points. To clarify I had a pretty big advantage as I had forgot a cover garment so I shot this from open. When you are talking 3 second pars, that is significant. Went to Stoegers doubles at 5, 7, and 10 and then finished up with the changing gears/transition drill. It was a good practice session. Hopefully it carries over into tomorrow.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    A few highlights from today. Started cold with the Q5 and all hands at 5. I am being a little generous and calling this a pass. I also mistakenly ran a standard 10-10-7 in 6.87 because I forgot to switch hands, as well as a 10-10 all hands at 7 which was all black but overtime at 10.38
    View attachment 269802

After some zero confirming with the 147 AE at 10 and 25. I then went to the plate rack and shot the distances and times for the bianchi Cup falling steel stage. I ended up with a few misses at 20 and 1 at 25. I finished up the Q5 with a 50 yard Zero check. The group looked good vertically but was strung out a little horizontally. 7 rounds because that is how much 147 I had left.
    View attachment 269803

IDPA match tomorrow so time to switch to the Sig. I have to say I really dig the Warren advanced 3 second standards backtrail turned me on to. There is a lot of relevant stuff there. It went well today and I made 56 points. To clarify I had a pretty big advantage as I had forgot a cover garment so I shot this from open. When you are talking 3 second pars, that is significant. Went to Stoegers doubles at 5, 7, and 10 and then finished up with the changing gears/transition drill. It was a good practice session. Hopefully it carries over into tomorrow.
    Great to see you coming out of a session feeling positive about your performance! It's not always the case. We tend to expect a high level from ourselves and it's easy to forget to celebrate how far we've come on this journey when we don't meet expectation. Great shooting, sir.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Great to see you coming out of a session feeling positive about your performance! It's not always the case. We tend to expect a high level from ourselves and it's easy to forget to celebrate how far we've come on this journey when we don't meet expectation. Great shooting, sir.
    I am trying something new for me, a positive attitude.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    My glocks are going away for minor surgery so today i ran a Wilson Combat Beretta 92 with LTT rdo slide and a holosun. It will suffice as a carry option until they get back and also scratch my dasa itch in the meantime.

I started with a 10 in 10 all hands complete cold. Out of the safe and into the holster. No dry practice or zero check. I should've checked zero. And dry practiced. 9.63 but 3 out. The furtherst was a huge miss sho. The single action trigger on beretta's breaks sooo far back. I anticipated hard and dropped it off paper. Either way it was low biased hits.

I started to do a 20 hits and noted low hits despite calling good presses. Checked zero and it was low and right. I adjusted the zero and proceeded to run 20 hits on a 3x5 in 26.42 in 12 runs because of three misses throughout. Average was 2.2 seconds. About a tenth off my times with striker guns.

I did a group at 25 but it was low left. i need to refine the zero with hst prior to carrying, as the zero today was hasty and not matching hst.

I then ran another 10 in 10 all hands but at 7 in 10.68 with good hits. I actually had 1 second split during the fs section due to trigger freeze. I normally run a stronger wilson trs but this gun was recently back in stock configuration when I had it for sale a bit ago. I'll drop a stronger trs in as well. Then the real issue was when I transferred to who I lost the dot completely. I know the beretta points low to me so I raised the muzzle and it was there but it took 2.44 to realize and correct plus the transfer. Still not unhappy as the hits were good despite failing.

I had four rounds left and decided to do four runs to a 6x6 with the goal of being sub 1.5 per the new Defoor hat qual standard. I got 3/4 because of a very close hit that I got gun shy on the next run and was a bit more deliberate than necessary to guarantee the hit.

Beretta's aren't my favorite (i actually prefer them in dao) but they are certainly viable. With dedicated dry practice, I shoot them as well as anything. (novel idea huh, practice with something and you get better with it. How profound ;) )

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Beautiful night at the range last evening weather wise. Started with the Q5 and Spaulding 3 round fadeback running it twice. Once with 147AE and once with 115 Republic. Someday I will clean this.

Went on to work the Practical session of the Bianchi Cup stage. It went very well at 10, 15, and 25 dropping only a few points. At 50 it was pretty rough not being able to go prone because of the hernia, but I didn't fare too bad. I have to make better use of my time at this distance since I am shooting it FS.

Switching to the Legion I ran the SWYNTS drill and was pretty pleased. All times at 15 were met and I was able to start dialing in the accuracy as well. At 7 I also made the pars and only had one off the paper. At 3 yards I actually made the 1 second par time twice, so there is hope. on my best run I was a .81 first hit, with a .16 for the split.

Next up was a drill I have seen Vogel do and since I have that private with him next week, I figured I would brush up on it. Draw fire 6, reload 6 SHO, reload 6 WHO. Not sure what the distance is supposed to be so I shot it at 7 and 10. Best run was a 13.97 -2. Not earthshattering, but not terrible. I followed this with his King drill which I know a little more about. On 3 inch circles you start at 6 yards, draw and fire 3 to each of two of the circles, reload while moving forward to the 4 and then fire 3 SHO on one circle and 3 WHO only on another. 12 seconds is passing, 9 is coin. I had some passing runs, but nothing very close to coin.

All in all a pretty good session. No match today as it was clean up day at my home club.

PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    did a 3 mile loaded ruck with a buddy. my legs are shot, back hurts and we failed spectacularly in our hand signaling and coms... Welp time to make some changes and get back out there. No sense in having the gear if you wear it like poser.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I received my glock frames back from getting undercuts and while they were out I received an oem glock performance trigger to try out. Today was the maiden voyage. I dropped it in my 19 simply because that's the gun I shoot the most and it will give me most comparative data.

I didn't do a lot today other than familiarization so I jumped around a bunch. 10 cold at 25 turned in an 89. The 147 blazer is a bit slower than hst so the group was high but otherwise would have been all in the black if centered. A SuperTest from the holster was 292 (96/11.62, 97/7.62, 99/5.46 respectively) raw but I got sucked into the x ring at 5 and shot too conservatively, going over time for a 20 point loss and a 272 corrected.

I played around with doubles and some poor shooting at 50. Various runs of pairs to 3x5's, 8" circles, and 2" dots but never a whole set for 20 hits. I pushed it speed wise and had as many misses as I would pushing a standard glock trigger. It makes sense as most of my errors these days are grip vision or timing related more so than trigger control errors. Many of the clean runs were a tenth or two faster than when I run 20 hits but i am not usually pushing speed during that excercise as much as consistency. That alone can explain the difference.

I finished with one last group at 25. This time with 124 magtech which yielded a 93 and a bit high. I may indeed need to adjust my zero. I will confirm with hst next outing.

GPT thoughts - it's a nice trigger. Predicable wall but easy enough to roll through if you want to. Comparable to any other fully tensioned striker trigger I reckon. Maybe a bit less takeup than an m&p or pdp but similar to my feel. A touch on the light side. I normally run a medium backstrap on glocks but had to go no backstrap by the end of the session because of the way the trigger is shaped and how my finger interacts. The lack of radius/convex and flat face, I think the reach is slightly extended over a normal glock trigger. It feels that way anyway. I'm going to keep running it for another couple hundred rounds before making a final decision but right now i'm leaning toward this - if you carry any other pretensioned striker gun, you probably won't have an issue carrying this trigger. If you carry a slicked up aftermarket trigger and no gadget you probably won't have a problem carrying this trigger. If you are a gadget user or think stock glocks are too light then you'll avoid this. I believe the gadget is more important than the slight edge you may get with this trigger but i'm open minded enough to keep going a while.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Cold start with the 10-10-10 all hands. First run at 7 was a fail at 10.84 and one round in the white. The second run did the job at 9.62 all black 97 pts. Ran a slow fire at 25 to check zero, looked ok but threw a couple for only 90 pts.

Next I started my journey on the T1C Triple sevens drill. It is brutal. Over 11 runs I only cleaned it once and that was just short of 10 seconds. My natural time on it was around 8 seconds but couldn't get all of my hits yet. Of course the 1 inch circles are tough to hit at speed, but I also some some problems with the 2 inch because I was already thinking about the reload while taking the last shot. It may be a long road, but I think the benefits to vision and trigger control at speed will be big.

PXL_20230505_213110817.MP.jpg

After shooting with Vogel I realized that my grip is starting to limit me shooting fast at around 15 yards so I plan to start working that shooting 5 at an IDPA from 15 going for a clean 2.6 seconds eventually. 105 rounds of it tonight gave me a fastest clean run of 3.04 seconds. A lot to be learned here.

We also did a fair amount of speed shooting at 25 as well so I worked some pairs from the draw there trying to make my draw itself just as fast as it is at 3 but seeing what ai need to see and pressing the trigger cleanly. I was at 2.40 average for mostly hits on the pairs.

I got my money out of this target I think.
    PXL_20230505_215954874.MP.jpg

I ran a couple more B8s at 25 and thought I may have had some contenders for all black but managed to pull 1 and 2 on them. Pretty good overall though

I planned to finish with the new Rangemaster DOM with both the IDPA gun and my carry Staccato and I did. Sorta. When I got done running them I realized I had not followed the directions completely and cheated myself a little shooting the last stage from the draw instead of the ready as described. I managed a
    11.87 HF with the Legion and a 10.87 with the Staccato and carry ammo. The big difference was in large part due to my slower reload on the right handed Staccato.

My actual end of range time came when I checked my 50 yard Zero on my RDS AR-15 and then tried to hit the new 12 inch plate we put up at the 200. I could not confirm any hits with no spotter and could not hear the steel under the metal roof and the strong south wind. I am going to try and take the wife Sunday and we will take turns. I am sure she will want to use the LPVO instead of the dot though.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Well the wife didn't feel like going out after a grad party tonight, so as usual I went to the range myself. I wanted to give the RM DOTM another try but cold this time and wanted to get some more time with the Q5 in prep for the Bianchi match.

Started with the Staccato and the RM DOTM, I then shot the same thing but with the Walther Q5. The biggest difference was the reload stage but that is no surprise as all my guns except the Staccato are set up for a lefty and I find reloads easier with open front carry. Not great, but ok.

PXL_20230507_235751692.MP.jpg

I followed this up with the Spaulding 3 round fadeback with the Staccato because I don't practice with it enough and it has the most different (though probably best) trigger of anything I shoot. It went pretty well but I was a little frustrated by the one big flyer that I sent when I knew I shouldn't have and had time to stop it.
    PXL_20230507_234107592.MP.jpg

Next up was a trip to the plate rack to work on match stuff. I ran through the stages twice. 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards. You don't get make ups in Bianchi Cup and I left a few standing here and there everywhere except the 10. There is really no reason for this as the par time is generous. All you have to do is look at the center of the plate and get a good trigger press. I was in a bad mood when I got to the range and this performance didn't help anything. I used my last 5 rounds for a 25 yard Zero check. No excuses there as it was not perfect but pretty dang close.

PXL_20230508_002038760.MP.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Well the wife didn't feel like going out after a grad party tonight, so as usual I went to the range myself. I wanted to give the RM DOTM another try but cold this time and wanted to get some more time with the Q5 in prep for the Bianchi match.

Started with the Staccato and the RM DOTM, I then shot the same thing but with the Walther Q5. The biggest difference was the reload stage but that is no surprise as all my guns except the Staccato are set up for a lefty and I find reloads easier with open front carry. Not great, but ok.

I followed this up with the Spaulding 3 round fadeback with the Staccato because I don't practice with it enough and it has the most different (though probably best) trigger of anything I shoot. It went pretty well but I was a little frustrated by the one big flyer that I sent when I knew I shouldn't have and had time to stop it.

Next up was a trip to the plate rack to work on match stuff. I ran through the stages twice. 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards. You don't get make ups in Bianchi Cup and I left a few standing here and there everywhere except the 10. There is really no reason for this as the par time is generous. All you have to do is look at the center of the plate and get a good trigger press. I was in a bad mood when I got to the range and this performance didn't help anything. I used my last 5 rounds for a 25 yard Zero check. No excuses there as it was not perfect but pretty dang close.
    What are the par times you are using for the plate rack?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    What are the par times you are using for the plate rack?
    Per the rules the times are a very generous 6,7, 8 and 9 seconds. The problem is misses cost so much on the score and you can't make them up. You can go probe on the 15, 20, and 25 yard lines and many people do. I went probe at 25 last year. At that point you have to hustle so with the hernia this year I probably won't do it unless I run plates as the last event.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Per the rules the times are a very generous 6,7, 8 and 9 seconds. The problem is misses cost so much on the score and you can't make them up. You can go probe on the 15, 20, and 25 yard lines and many people do. I went probe at 25 last year. At that point you have to hustle so with the hernia this year I probably won't do it unless I run plates as the last event.
    I usually shoot the rack at 10 yards when going for time. I may try at the other distances next range visit.

Top Bottom