What drills did you run this week and how did you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    What's your standard approach to dry fire? Do you have a standard set of drills you run through?
    I do. I cycle and alternate a number of standard exercises. I use the first 12 out of Steve Anderson's refinement and repetition book alternating doing them stationary and moving. On other nights I use a drill I picked up from PF that can also be used live fire and is done at 15, 7, and 3 yards. I also do a reload only session that starts with Burkett reloads, morphs into standard reloads, and then goes into D2R2 (4 aces). I finish that session with moving reloads.

Every morning before work after stretching and guitar practice I do a short dry fire session as well. Lately that has been failure drills alternated with Tier 1 concealment 3 7's. For the last month I have been trying out the ACE shooting VR on quest. I have run almost 18,000 "rounds" on that so far. https://www.acexr.com/

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Maybe? I will be doing a review on it here soon. If you already have a Quest system I would say probably. I had to start from scratch so I have quite a bit into it.
    No VR stuff here yet. That's why i've got reservations. If the kid gets vr for a gift etc..then it will be more attractive. Looking forward to the review.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Another quick session today. I had planned an itinerary of drills focused on my carry gear but forgot the proper targets so i just mostly worked with the new guy. I did a few reps of the first string from the 99 drill and bombed (ouch, out of practice but with my old expectations is ego damaging!). We did a walkback on 2" dots and i made it to 15 yards. Some sho and who on 2" dots at 5 yards. Nothing exciting really. My regular shooting partner will return next week. I will dry practice daily and should be able to hit some matches this year. Things are looking up!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Shoehorned in a session yesterday while off work to try and get things ready for family Easter at our place.

Currently not doing a lot of drills, but more like exercises. Specifically targeting skills. I started with the normal group shooting of 5 FS, 5 SHO, 5WHO at 10 just going for as small as possible of group. I dropped one point on a B8 for a 149/150. I then went to my main focus for the session, confirmation levels. I use an IDPA target with a 3 inch post it note in the down zero and then a 1 inch square inside that. I was using 5 yards but have now moved to 7. The one inch square requires a stopped and stable dot, while the 3 inch post it needs just a flash of color and keeping it in the down zero can hopefully be done predictively. I start with what I call fives, and then go to doubles. This is better explained in this video.

After that I went into a drill that is directly connected to the exercise, the Billy Drill. This is a Bill drill shot at 7, 15, and 25 yards looking for an accumulated time of 10 seconds or less. My run netted me a 12.15 second raw time with 2.5 seconds in penalyy points, so a little work to do. All of my shots outside the down zero were high so I thought maybe I was watching the dot lift but actually found out afterwards with a 25 yard zero check on a B8 that my zero was a good 2 inches high.

200 rounds in all. Probably will be my only live fire of the weekend.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    What are some drills that can be completed in a 25 yd indoor range?
    A good starting point -

Many of TLG's are printed on a single sheet of paper and have modifiers for adapting to a single shooting lane.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Inspired by some gunosphere drame elsewhere, i decided to run the FAMs Qual as my cold drill today. Well pseudo anyway as i did not have the correct targets but i did have some of Weems targets instead. I also screwed up and shot the first ready 2 from the holster and thus once i shot it over from ready. That in turn screwed up my ammo management and when i did the ready 6, i only had 5 so had to mulligan that run as well. Times for the correct runs were as follows -

D1 combined <3.3 seconds
    1 - 1.43
    2 - 1.57

R2 combined <2.7 seconds
    1 - 1.08
    2 - 1.13

R6 <3 seconds
    1 - 2.29

R1R(eload)1 <6.5 seconds
    1 - 3.13
    2 - 3.10

R1on2 <3.3 seconds
    1 - 1.14
    2 - 1.12

Turn1on3 <7 seconds
    1 - 2.48
    2 - 2.79

R1R(eload)1 kneeling <8 seconds
    1 - 3.27
    2 - 3.29

27.82 Aggregate. If i give myself -5 for each miss then i'd score it 135/150.

Next i attempted a 1911 Syndicate challenge that SLG posted a while back. 2A's at 25 in 2, back to back. I was over on time both but hits were solid.

I ended with a single FAST run in 5.40 and then packed it in. Nice little testing session that took 45 minutes from gate to gate.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    My old shooting partner returned for the season so we broke out the match belt and ran the Standard practice at 7 and 10 yards, using the b class pars.

I hit the times on most but was sloppy with several C's and a D on one run. While i can still run defensive oriented drills with little effort, the speed needed at the level i wanted was on the edge or above my current control level, as regards to the comp stuff. The lack of practice really showed.

New guy had a new p07. I used to love them but this one needed a visit to cgw. It was no good.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    My old shooting partner returned for the season so we broke out the match belt and ran the Standard practice at 7 and 10 yards, using the b class pars.

I hit the times on most but was sloppy with several C's and a D on one run. While i can still run defensive oriented drills with little effort, the speed needed at the level i wanted was on the edge or above my current control level, as regards to the comp stuff. The lack of practice really showed.

New guy had a new p07. I used to love them but this one needed a visit to cgw. It was no good.
    I found the same type of thing out this weekend. Friday practice was what I have been doing lately but with the 365 AXG because I used it with carry gear in the match today. Defensive drills like the April RM DOTM it did just fine, match environment, not so much.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    A reminder all of this is relative. I haven't been posting all my practice but it was mildly interesting Friday. During the week my sometimes training partner and guy who got me into USPSA called and said it was quarterly weapons time for one of the local departments he trains. One of the drills he was going to do was the Spaulding 15 in 15.

It seems like a good drill and it was one of the drills I ran at my next practice session after talking to my buddy. As I expected it wasn't overly difficult. I ran it twice with a 13.3 the first time and a 12.75 the second time. At the other end of the spectrum I saw Matt Pranka (X-Ray Alpha), post a similar seeming drill. In his drill you shoot 5 each from the draw at 5, 10, 15, and 20. Any shot outside the Alpha (or down zero in my case) is a DQ. There is no movement, you are just adding the strings together and getting a hit factor. His thinking was a 10HF was good. that means a total time of 10 seconds or less. Ya right. I have a long ways to go. I ran it 5 times as it is definitely worthwhile practice but in pushing the speed I only got one run clean. That run was a 1.84, 2.62, 3.83, and a 4.0 for a HF of 8.137. The work continues.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Had a revolver day while me and the fiance got out to shoot. I ran a 686 ssr with an sro and nills from a comp rig. It is my favorite gun, aside from my old 617.

I started with a Bakersfield qual and scored a 97. I was ot on the first string and during the reload string (i suck at speedloader reloads).

Next was a revolver version of the advanced supertest. Not a great run but a 166/180.

Then I ran the HiTS version of the LAPD Swat qual (8" and 3x5) scored hit or miss and went 32/36 or just at the threshold of 90%.

Finally, a run at the Gabe White standards resulted in only a single penalty and aggregate of 20.99. Certainly not turbo territory but a very solid performance with a wheelgun.

I love shooting this thing and will use it to compete if i can make it to an icore match this year. My plans for this month fell through due to family obligation but the year is just beginning!

Random highlights -

2.6 bill

Result of 2.6 bill

The gun

Final target after the last string of GW standards.

Final result of lapd swat qual

Top Bottom