What Do You Carry as Your Non-Lethal, Self-Defense Option?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • druckernut

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2021
    South Indianapolis
    A majority of "escalated situations" do not call for use of lethal force. In fact, you could very well jeopardize your freedom and/or wealth even when it's obvious that you were in the right. Remember, the burden of proof will always be on you to justify any use of lethal force. This is why I always carry pepper gel on the opposite hip of my concealed short arm. I prefer gel over spray because gel can travel farther and there's a reduced chance of cross-contamination and blowback. Although I usually don't, you should carry pepper spray/get decontaminate (DIY or "store bought"), as well.

I'm very interested in your comments and opinions. Thank you.

CitizenX

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Tippecanoe
    I'm not aware of any law that says I have to engage someone on their terms. One solid punch could cause yours or my demise. I'm not about to see how that may be true. If an idiot is obvious they wish to do me harm, regardless of their implementation, I will use any means necessary to stop it... quickly and final. I don't burden myself with non-lethal items.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Even though Indiana HAS passed it`s version of "Stand Your Ground/Castle Doctrine", and we`re no longer mandated by government to attempt to run away before using force, I have to believe that if at ALL possible, we`d still be better off to do everything possible to flee a situation before using ANY level of force. That being said, some possibly are like me and couldn`t run to save their souls, and so, those like me are probably forced to use some level of force to defend ourselves from an attack. Of course, we do anything and everything we can to avoid being in a circumstance where we`d need to defend ourselves to begin with. Avoid bad areas, be willing to take the insult or allow someone else to have their way in order to avoid confrontation and conflict, to a point. But we know that if someone is determined to provoke an incident, it will happen. The thought of carrying a non-lethal alternative is interesting, and may have some merit. My only concern would be, if someone get`s caught up in trying to use the non-lethal force when they should have gone directly to the firearm, then end up seriously hurt, or dead. I think this highlights though, that everyone needs to have already thought through the possible scenarios they`re likely to encounter, and have pre-determined how they`ll respond to them. Training would be key, as well as the course that`s been discussed in other threads here regarding the laws in Indiana on the use of lethal force.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I'm not aware of any law that says I have to engage someone on their terms. One solid punch could cause yours or my demise. I'm not about to see how that may be true. If an idiot is obvious they wish to do me harm, regardless of their implementation, I will use any means necessary to stop it... quickly and final. I don't burden myself with non-lethal items.
    What If they slap you really hard?

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    A majority of "escalated situations" do not call for use of lethal force. In fact, you could very well jeopardize your freedom and/or wealth even when it's obvious that you were in the right. Remember, the burden of proof will always be on you to justify any use of lethal force. This is why I always carry pepper gel on the opposite hip of my concealed short arm. I prefer gel over spray because gel can travel farther and there's a reduced chance of cross-contamination and blowback. Although I usually don't, you should carry pepper spray/get decontaminate (DIY or "store bought"), as well.

I'm very interested in your comments and opinions. Thank you.
    Welcome to INGO.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    POM OC spray.

Less than lethal is most certainly part of my EDC mindset. I can think of several scenarios when somebody might need to be blessed by the hot sauce but not shot. Especially if the threat isn't directly targeting me, but causing problems for someone else or the general public. An drunk idiot beating on his lady comes to mind. Or someone gets belligerent at a gas station, retail store. Aggressive panhandler, etc.

People can and do get froggy without becoming a deadly threat. I want something in between a firearm and a harsh word.

Can anyone tell I watch a lot of Active Self Protection videos? :@ya:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    POM OC spray.

Less than lethal is most certainly part of my EDC mindset. I can think of several scenarios when somebody might need to be blessed by the hot sauce but not shot. Especially if the threat isn't directly targeting me, but causing problems for someone else or the general public. An drunk idiot beating on his lady comes to mind. Or someone gets belligerent at a gas station, retail store. Aggressive panhandler, etc.

People can and do get froggy without becoming a deadly threat. I want something in between a firearm and a harsh word.

Can anyone tell I watch a lot of Active Self Protection videos? :@ya:
    I work from my GMC truck. There are any number of tools sprays and pointy sharp things that are directly related to the HVAC trade at arms length. None of which that I would enjoy being on the business end of if properly wielded.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a pretty pink ringed can of POM in my vehicle consoles. I don't EDC it, but I want it close, should its need be intensified.

Aggressive pan handlers, protestors and crazy ex-wives come to mind. :)

I'd strongly advise taking a class or two on effective pepper spray use. There are right and wrong tactics that can get you in trouble. Learn what a pepper sprayed person can and cannot do.

Also learn what you yourself can do when pepper sprayed. Its entirely possible to end up with a dose yourself for whatever reason., good or bad.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I guess if I want less than lethal I'll shoot them in the legs like Dementia Joe Biden says.

“Instead of standing there and teaching a cop when there’s an unarmed person coming at ‘em with a knife or something, shoot ‘em in the leg instead of in the heart,” Biden said in an address to black community leaders in Wilmington, Del.

Notice unarmed person with a knife or something but unarmed with whatever they are armed with. :nuts:

1623050694740.png

Last edited:
    Top Bottom