what do you calber rifle do you use and y ?....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Strug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    West Indy
    I have an AR15 in 5.56, and plan to get either a drop-in .22lr bolt and magazine or a dedicated .22lr upper. Gives the option of hunting small game and larger game.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I am of the thought that hunting for food will not work. I store food or prep for when it isn't around to buy. When I hunt I hunt with a 358 Winchester most of the time on large game. Shotgun for small game. I don't see that changing if things go bad. I hunt on my land.

The same guns I hunt with can be used to protect our place. I live in the country and most of the people out here have guns and grow food. They also put food back so they have it till the next growing season. It has been dun this way before I was born and it will be dun the same way long after I am gone. They don't call it prepping they call it farming.

Also it is in bad taste to hunt on other peoples places with out asking. It can get you put in jail. With the lack of law I would say it could get you shot.

No way in hell do I want to go to a national forest and hunt for food. That is dangerous enough when things are good. I have no idea what it would be like if things went bad wrong.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    What I have (yes, a very modest collection compared to many on here):
    .22LR rifle
    .45 Colt revolver
    .45 Colt rifle
    12 gauge shotgun
    .30-06 rifle
    10mm pistol
    bonus: two powerful air rifles of identical model, one .177 caliber, and one .22 caliber

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Nothing wrong with visiting an old thread, in my mind, as long as it's on topic.

Agreed. If you're gonna do that though add something worth reading. A couple/three short sentences, with little info, points to a run for 50 to get in the classifieds. Not a genuine contribution. Selfish posting, rather than a helpful contribution? :twocents:

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Since you asked about firearms I will let the others speak of food growing and storage which is obviously necessary.

Look back at what the people who settled the US in the 16 and 1700's used to survive. The average farmer didn't have the large bore Hawkens and such. Those only came about with westward expansion. They used a flintlock fowler which in modern days is a shotgun. They also relied more on small game more than deer. bear, etc as glamorous as that sounds. Slugs and shot can do it all at short range of course. Mine has taken everything from squirrels to birds and an 11 pointer that dressed at 192lbs. I'd also bet the shot would get used more than the slug. I would think if you shot a deer at long range somebody may get to it before the original shooter. If the firearm were only used to procure food I'd pick the shotgun. A handgun and longer range rifle would come in handy for defense against humanoids. A traditional bow would come in handy as would the knowledge of building a selfbow with the proper types of wood.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I hate the argument of the “all game will be wiped out” not only do most people not know how to hunt cook clean game…. I truly believe most people would sit in their house borderline starving to death waiting for .guv to come save them…. By the time they realize no one is coming they will be too hungry / weak to wipe out all the game with their no skill self.

back during the depression and such when game was truly almost wiped out…. Hunting was already a part of life. People didn’t visit grocery stores daily. So hunting / gathering was much closer to NORMAL day to day life then. Now most people don’t want to even hear/think about where food comes from.

and regardless of what Hollywood and anti hunters show/say….. hunting is a skill. Skills take practice and learning. Much like grocery shopping when you’re hungry you make bad decisions….. imagine learning to hunt when you’re ACTUALLY starving.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I read years ago that you shoot better hungry. Not motivated to look it up though.

Back on topic (at least for a while - after all, this is INGO).
    I use .308 for most hunting (deer). Shotgun on public land, though it's inherently less accurate for me. Would like to use the old Mosin some year. And the 10mm G40 in 2023.
    .223 and 9mm for defense
    .22 and .177 pellet for chicken raiders
    .22LR for small game

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I read years ago that you shoot better hungry. Not motivated to look it up though.

Back on topic (at least for a while - after all, this is INGO).
    I use .308 for most hunting (deer). Shotgun on public land, though it's inherently less accurate for me. Would like to use the old Mosin some year. And the 10mm G40 in 2023.
    .223 and 9mm for defense
    .22 and .177 pellet for chicken raiders
    .22LR for small game
    I mean to be fair the topic (what to use for hunting shtf) the answer is obviously whatever is in your hands lol regulations<starvation

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I'm not going near the woods for a good couple of weeks if/when TSHTF. Not because I think all of the game will be gone, it won't be. The problem will be the large number of dead morons who were mistakenly shot by the other morons who've decided they can just hunt for their food. I know a guy here at work, he's got a nice AR15, an 870, and has never taken an animal in his life. He's the last dude I want to see wandering into that patch of trees across the road from my house, but he claims that he'll just go hunt for his food if things go south.

I'll wait for the knuckleheads to thin their population a bit, since all of the game will have gone to ground anyway. I'll eat the stuff I have on hand, which I procured ahead of time. At the end of that month or so, I'll sneak out into the woods, collect the firearms off the corpses I find, and go back to eating food that I already have. Immediately post-SHTF is NOT the time to be out procuring food.
    According to Donner, they can be cooked up in a tasty manner.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I'm not going near the woods for a good couple of weeks if/when TSHTF. Not because I think all of the game will be gone, it won't be. The problem will be the large number of dead morons who were mistakenly shot by the other morons who've decided they can just hunt for their food. I know a guy here at work, he's got a nice AR15, an 870, and has never taken an animal in his life. He's the last dude I want to see wandering into that patch of trees across the road from my house, but he claims that he'll just go hunt for his food if things go south.

I'll wait for the knuckleheads to thin their population a bit, since all of the game will have gone to ground anyway. I'll eat the stuff I have on hand, which I procured ahead of time. At the end of that month or so, I'll sneak out into the woods, collect the firearms off the corpses I find, and go back to eating food that I already have. Immediately post-SHTF is NOT the time to be out procuring food.
    Agreed. I love how people that don’t hunt watch tv and think anyone can do it :lmfao: :lmfao:

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I have a tricked out 10/22 by Volquartsen (sp?) In 22 short. It has taken more animals ( crows, rabbits, coons, whistle pigs, squirrels etc) than any other firearm in my collection. Next up in body count is my Winchester trapper in 45Colt.

Top Bottom