what do you calber rifle do you use and y ?....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    I am of the thought that hunting for food will not work. I store food or prep for when it isn't around to buy. When I hunt I hunt with a 358 Winchester most of the time on large game. Shotgun for small game. I don't see that changing if things go bad. I hunt on my land.

The same guns I hunt with can be used to protect our place. I live in the country and most of the people out here have guns and grow food. They also put food back so they have it till the next growing season. It has been dun this way before I was born and it will be dun the same way long after I am gone. They don't call it prepping they call it farming.

Also it is in bad taste to hunt on other peoples places with out asking. It can get you put in jail. With the lack of law I would say it could get you shot.

No way in hell do I want to go to a national forest and hunt for food. That is dangerous enough when things are good. I have no idea what it would be like if things went bad wrong.
    Absolutely agree with you. I know guys who have hunted deer for many years without making a kill. They think if there is a shift situation they can provide by hunting! How? Are they going to become good hunters because they have no other options?

To your second point. As a farmer (the real kind. Not the kind with 5 acres, 6 chickens, and a goat named nanny) I take trespass seriously. In a lawless society the hunter could become the hunted. The best solution for the op is to learn how to garden and preserve. Then buy a 12 gauge to protect his food and home.

Don’t even get me started on bugging out. Lol

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    I picked up a special model 70 .270 recently. It's my first rifle outside .22s. I am still getting a good peep sight and such situated, refinishing the wood, etc. once finished, I plan to use it for basically everything shotguns can't handle.

for shtf purposes, k.i.s.s. principle. but honestly I'm not a prepper type. if sreallyhtf that's a world I don't care to be in and am not prepping for

31ST MEUSOC

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2023
    PA
    Depending on the area you live like me PA not so much for big deer. I would concentrate on fishing with nets or freaking ground hogs their dumb and plentiful.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I live in the woods and have no plans to do any hunting other than animals very close to the house. A 22lr works just fine on most anything in that case.

And as an added bonus a Ruger 10 22 also makes a bang up zombie gun a year into the outbreak when the zombie skulls have softened up a wee bit....

. 1704998024805.png 1704998093513.png

1704998011261.png 1704998057871.png

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Geesh, you should just move to Cotton Plant, Mississippi. You would fit right in with some of my cousins.

TBF I did have a native Alabaman say, of my beloved southern Indiana.....

Alabaman: what's up Hoosier?

me: nothing much Johnny Reb

Alabaman: You realize I work for the railroad on the run between New Albany and Evansville and that southern Indiana is basically the Mississippi of the Midwest right???

me: I know that....quit acting like you think I ain't ever been to Tazwell afore....

:)

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    TBF I did have a native Alabaman say, of my beloved southern Indiana.....

Alabaman: what's up Hoosier?

me: nothing much Johnny Reb

Alabaman: You realize I work for the railroad on the run between New Albany and Evansville and that southern Indiana is basically Mississippi right???

me: I know that....quit acting like you think I ain't ever been to Tazwell afore....

:)
    You Yankees, but have you ever had breakfast at Rudy's in Bucksnort? Damn good food!

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Everybody should have a battle rifle, 5.56 or 7.62... whatever you can handle.
    Ammunition for both will get scarce, in my opinion, because jacketed bullets will be hard to find. I plan to keep a large frame revolver and carbine in .44 magnum or .45 LC. Lead bullets are easy to make.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Everybody should have a battle rifle, 5.56 or 7.62... whatever you can handle.
    Ammunition for both will get scarce, in my opinion, because jacketed bullets will be hard to find. I plan to keep a large frame revolver and carbine in .44 magnum or .45 LC. Lead bullets are easy to make.

Same...I keep a Marlin 1894/Ruger 77/44 with a S&W 29 and 629.....

along with a .62 caliber/20 gauge English officer's fusil in flintlock....

In case I live longer than my ammo lol....

1705021004247.png

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Well, if it's a SHTF deal where I haven't been driven from my home, I just hunt with my regular weapons.
    That means .22LR for tree rat stew, .44 mag for venison, and so forth.

If it's bad, and I had to bug out... depending on how light I need to travel, I'll just have to hunt with my fighting gun then won't I... so, 5.56.

Top Bottom