• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I'm going to be in Brookville for a weekend in mid-April.

What are my "can't miss" things to do in my 48 hours there? Hikes? Eateries? I know I can Google this, but I'd rather hear from real Americans who live in the area. :):

Any insight you can share about the town is appreciated!

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    If you like to hike there are plenty of good marked trails around the lake. Or check out the whitewater canal trail for a little easier walk. Brookville also has a good zip line course just outside of town.

Some of the shops in Metamora will probably be open and the Mill is always neat to see run.

The fishing in Brookville lake and the whitewater river is really good. The white bass will probably be running around then and they can be fished from shore. Some of the best trout fishing around is in the tailwaters below the dam. If your into walleye there are some good guides locally.

For dinner head over to Oldenburg to either the Pearl St Pub or get some fried chicken from The Brau Haus. While your there stop and have a drink at Creek Bottom Brew.

If your coming the weekend of the 10th, drive down to Laughery Valley Fish and Game and shoot some steel.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Follow up post...

We ended up leaving a little early, but Brookville is a really nice town! Wish we had time to see the lake, but we only heard good things about it. We plan on returning some time.

Just make sure if you're coming from the north down Indiana 1, you have solid brakes. The locals will know what I mean. LOL

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Maybe in July... LOL

Thanks to everyone for the ideas!

I had totally forgotten about Metamora. Went down there as a kid. Seems like a good way to pass an afternoon!
    Wait until later in the year. Metamora is dead early on. Ghost town. We went before Memorial day on a whim, and nothing was open. The canal was low, the boat was parked, and except for the weird museum, toy store, Ice cream shop, and state owned grist mill (Which didnt have water available to turn the wheel) everything else was closed. I dont think they divert any water to the canal before Memorial day.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Wait until later in the year. Metamora is dead early on. Ghost town. We went before Memorial day on a whim, and nothing was open. The canal was low, the boat was parked, and except for the weird museum, toy store, Ice cream shop, and state owned grist mill (Which didnt have water available to turn the wheel) everything else was closed. I dont think they divert any water to the canal before Memorial day.
    Years ago my parents bought some land just outside of Metamora. Wow that town is a dump. He just wanted a place to hunt but the vandals/poachers are so rampant down there its no fun.

Chuck

Top Bottom