• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No I don’t know the names of the game biologists of each of the different game districts in the state. The two I did know retired. Dean Zimmerman and Bob Porch. But they are listed along with they’er e mail address in the Ind. hunting and fishing guide. Each div. has different biologists waterfowl, fur bearers, fisheries, upland game, and so on. I’m not going to argue with you about my opinion on game or game laws. And if you want the info you can do your own research for such matters.

I personally don’t give a hoot about they’re politics, I can only base my opinion on being a hunter, trapper, fisherman, furbuyer, for over 70 years. And seeing the results of they’re work.

So, now I’ve told you how to get they’re names and contact info, go do the research you seem to want. Hope you have a good season.

Doesn't sound like I'd have any more infuence on whoever they may be than I have on you?

Seemed like a simple question of public vs private land deer regulations? :dunno:

Sorry if I have offended you, friend.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Doesn't sound like I'd have any more infuence on whoever they may be than I have on you?

Seemed like a simple question of public vs private land deer regulations? :dunno:

Sorry if I have offended you, friend.

Good enough.

I know these guys are very professional and do a lot of hands on research. They have no authority over game laws, but they can and do make suggestions and advise on what is best for they’re area of study. They are dedicated and make the best decisions they possibly can for the sportsman and state.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Oddly enough, it's legal to hunt squirrel or rabbit, etc. on public ground with a 30-06 here, so maybe you can still get some use out of it! :thumbsup:

Apparently, shooting up into a tree at a squirrel with a centerfire rifle makes the bullet turn into pixie dust before it falls to the ground. But shooting horizontally, or at a downward angle from a stand is just too dangerous if you're shooting at a deer.
    Well now I always wondered what a 5.56 55gr Vmax would do to a raccoon... :lmfao:

Edit:
    It's just a 22 magnum on steroids.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    that's a hard question to answer man, because it depends so much. Indiana has pretty diverse public lands and it really depends on where and when you're hunting.

I feel .50cal muzzleloader rules because you get a couple extra weeks without all the yahoos in the woods with ya. it can also reach out long range depending on how modern of a gun and ammo you use. But a 12ga and a variety of shot will serve you well when there's no deer but plenty of upland game or predators instead.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    How about the 44 magnum.
    You can buy a single shot from CVA, or Henry very responsibly priced, lever-action rifle for about $300 more.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Don't hunt public land anymore, but when I did it was a Mossberg 500 20 gauge with rifled slugs. I was lucky enough to take several nice deer using this combination.

Now it's a 6.5 Creedmoor or a .50 cal. muzzleloader.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Why should public ground be differerent from private for caliber? Still wonder why we allow our state minders to regulate us on this?

The number of people hunting and the relatively flat ground makes the regulators think if they allowed rifle calibers, that travel relatively long distances at relatively high speeds, we'd all shoot ourselves. In my limited public squirrel hunting experience I tend to agree. Too many people and not enough good sense.
    Looking for private land to buy so I can use what I want.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    Why should public ground be differerent from private for caliber? Still wonder why we allow our state minders to regulate us on this?

a mixture of safety precautions is what you often hear today, but it's many interrelated aspects.

one reason is carryover of simple mgmt practices from when the rule was developed - restricting long range weapons increases fair pursuit or the 'sportiness' of hunting on public lands. Indiana is 97% private land and Aldo Leopold had already figured out in the 20s & 30s that the best wildlife habitat is next to good wildlife habitat. Public land is few & far between in this state. Even still, as you see with Hoosier Nat'l Forest especially, it's not contiguous and private withholdings are everywhere.

It's often parodied that you can use whatever for predator or varmint hunting, but we all know that never brings the amount of people into the woods like those couple weeks in November.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The number of people hunting and the relatively flat ground makes the regulators think if they allowed rifle calibers, that travel relatively long distances at relatively high speeds, we'd all shoot ourselves. In my limited public squirrel hunting experience I tend to agree. Too many people and not enough good sense.
    Looking for private land to buy so I can use what I want.
    a mixture of safety precautions is what you often hear today, but it's many interrelated aspects.

one reason is carryover of simple mgmt practices from when the rule was developed - restricting long range weapons increases fair pursuit or the 'sportiness' of hunting on public lands. Indiana is 97% private land and Aldo Leopold had already figured out in the 20s & 30s that the best wildlife habitat is next to good wildlife habitat. Public land is few & far between in this state. Even still, as you see with Hoosier Nat'l Forest especially, it's not contiguous and private withholdings are everywhere.

It's often parodied that you can use whatever for predator or varmint hunting, but we all know that never brings the amount of people into the woods like those couple weeks in November.

This is another good example of my questioning the caliber restrictions. Perceptions. I'm sure your description of Indiana is what it looks like in your neighborhood.

The Indiana you fine gents discribe is noticably differerent than my southern Indiana area. Surrounded by hills and valleys, with plots of public ground mixed in private property in all directions.

Last edited:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    This is another good example of my questioning the caliber restrictions. Perceptions. I'm sure your description of Indiana is what it looks like in your neighborhood.

The Indiana you fine gents discribe is noticably differerent than my southern Indiana area. Surrounded by hills and valleys, with plots of public ground mixed in private property in all directions.

Yes, southern IN is different. I'm in central (just West of Marion County). I don't have a major problem with the restrictions here, especially with the advent of the new straight walled cartridges that are legal (450BM/350 Legend).

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Is that gonna be a 28" slug barrel? Never seen the such.
    Couldn’t you use the rifled slug in a smooth bore barrel???

I find it hilarious some of the same people that are parroting that this “high power rifle restriction” is due to safety……… are the same people that will say “there aren’t any shots over 100yds in Indiana”

Let’s not forget that in pistol form legal on private is legal on public…….

Top Bottom