• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I am just getting into reloading 9mm. There are soooo many choices of bullets.
    My question is what drives the selection of bullet weights? For practice and plinking how do I choose between 115, 124 and 147 grains?
    These will run in either a Browning BDM (basically a hi power with a pistol mode) or mostly through my new 92FS I will use for carry.

I have a bunch Federal 147gr hydra shok I plan to use for personal defense.

My intuition says to practice with the closest thing to what I will defend myself with which would mean I want load 147gr JHP RNs and also to make sure this gun runs them smoothly and I get used to the shooting characteristics of that weight.

Am I on the right track? Ready to learn from the wise.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The 92 was designed for 124gr.

Always found 124 or 135gr best in mine.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I also found the 124 gr weight works best for me.

Keep a eye on your OAL if you switch between different weight round noses tho. And always verify they seat properly in your chamber.

I really like the 124 gr in the flat point . Having multiple guns, I’ve never had a issue with them, while I have with the round nose. A couple of the barrels are either a little tighter or chamber a little shorter and I have to seat the round nose a little deeper then I like.

try a few different options and see what works best for you. Again, just be aware different weights and profile of the bullet will change what length you load to.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    124 gr RMR MPR (really a JHP). When they are in stock they are a great deal, but RMR is slammed with orders now and taking about a month to deliver. When ordered in bulk and on sale they are not much more than FMJ or plated, so you can shoot JHP for a FMJ price.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Lately I've been loading 125 gr TC bullets made by Blue Bullets.

I also have had issues with round nose bullets, but only coated ones.

I have also loaded 135's and 147's.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just remember the OAL for these is less than FMJs if you are starting to load flat points or HPs. Sounds kinda obvious, but many people forget and start loading them to the same length as their FMJs and fail horribly. You gotta account for that missing tip that isnt there on the others, otherwise the ogive is farther forward and they flat out wont chamber.

You probably are aware, but just in case...

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Keep a eye on your OAL if you switch between different weight round noses tho. And always verify they seat properly in your chamber.

This is excellent advice, and very important. Know your guns and what they like to eat. I have a couple of 9mms that have very tight chamber throats, and stuff that works well in all the others will stick in the lands on those, and and cause all kinds of problems. My CZ 75D, in particular, is a very picky eater. I use it for load development most of the time, because if ammo will chamber ok in it, it will chamber in everything else, too.

My bulk 9mm range load is a coated 135gr cast bullet. I went with this one because I like the design better than the 124gr bullet that my vendor produces, and found it to be more accurate. I load it over HS6 for a consistent, clean-burning round that fills the case far enough to eliminate any chance of a double-charge.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If you use 147gr for your defense loads you need to find their actual velocity shot at least 5 rds through a chronograph. Then load 147gr RN Hard cast or fmj whatever you like to the same velocity as your defense rounds. That will give you the same recoil and weight as your defense ammunition. Remember to do a plunk test. Then when you find the right oal for your barrel seat it around 0.003 shorter and you should be good to go.

efd1295

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Northern IN
    I've had great results with Summit City bullets. I used to shoot Blue Bullets, unfortunately their lead time is around 16 weeks. I can get Summit City rounds in 3-4 days.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I like coated bullets for indoor range shooting as they don't smoke nearly as much as lead with bullet lube and aren't nearly as expensive as copper jacketed. I settled on 115 gr RN from Precision Bullets. I also like Acme. My carry load is a factory light weight bullet. I only load some 147 grainers loaded subsonic for suppressor use, but since you carry 147 grainers, I can see that you'd want that weight because it would print the same.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I don't think trying to match the perceived recoil of your self defense ammo is worth messing with. If you ever get in a real live shooting situation, you will have an adrenaline dump like most people will NEVER experience and you won't even notice recoil. However, you'd better be able to get the first shot on target pretty quickly. That's what practice is for, IMO.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I'm sure you all know this but xtreem has just about any configuration of 9mm and have them in stock. Thats if you don't mind the plated bullet. I use them in several calibers with great results. They also have FMJ in 115grn
    I'm a big fan of the plunk test as well. Fortunately all my 9mm guns seem to work well with the same OAL. At least for paper punching. Your results may vary

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Thanks for all the good info gentlemen.

The only reason the defense rounds are 147gr Hyda Shok is that is all I could obtain as factory loads recently. If the 124s would be a better choice maybe I should seek some out.

My only reloading experience so far has been a straightwall class and a bottleneck class at Profire back when their retail store was still in business. Andrew is an awsome dude and super helpful. I miss that place terribly as it was a wealth of supplies and knowledge. I worked up 50 rounds of 9mmand 50 rounds of .223 69gr hpbt in class.

I am new to reloading on my own and my RCBS Rebel master reloading kit has been shipped as I type. I also ordered the 9mm titanium carbide competition dies from Redding (2-3 month lead time). I'll likely get a set of Lee dies to begin in the meantime since I found some locally.

Since the Profire classes supplied already prepped brass, that part of the operation will be new to me (sizing, trimming). I have the ABCs of reloading and the latest (90th) edition of Lyman for reference, so I will be using the bullet data they provide and also have a quality digital caliper and many #s of W231 ready to go. The projectiles I have are Armscore 124gr RN FMJ since I know a local place that has bunches of them in stock.

I welcome anything more all you experienced reloaders have to offer.

Top Bottom