• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have always loaded heavy for caliber 9mm.

Between mimicking professional LEO advice on 147 HP's for self defense and grandmaster USPSA shooters using 147's for the softest recoil/fastest recovery, never looked beyond.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Although I have been reloading for decades, 9mm was the latest one I've attempted and I found it more challenging than other pistol calibers. One thing I found out is that with coated bullets, very, very little crimp is needed for the best accuracy. I always crimp using a separate die. Using one's removed barrel or having a chamber checker is especially helpful. Cartridge overall length isn't critical, as far as, accuracy does, but one must make sure it isn't too long to feed through the magazine!

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    As we all know, many components are getting hard to find in stock. I'm checking for new brass, I'm not sure I trust the "once fired" stuff for sale really being only fired once.

I do see plenty of +p new brass in stock. Can this be used for regular loads? What's the main difference. My hunch is +p cases can handle higher pressure. Anything else? Same powder capacity?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    As we all know, many components are getting hard to find in stock. I'm checking for new brass, I'm not sure I trust the "once fired" stuff for sale really being only fired once.

I do see plenty of +p new brass in stock. Can this be used for regular loads? What's the main difference. My hunch is +p cases can handle higher pressure. Anything else? Same powder capacity?
    I assume you are talking about pistol rounds? If so, you do what you are comfortable with but I load my 9 mm until the case splits or some other defect appears. I couldn't even tell you how many times I have loaded a piece of brass because of the system I use for brass collection and subsequent reloading. But I bet I have loaded some 8-10+ times.

After all , isn't that the purpose of sizing dies?

On the +P, I can't help as I don't use it. Sorry.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

Unless you are going to load high pressure loads, used brass will do for many loadings. You are correct that there are some folks, especially these days, that will try to pawn off multiple fired cases as only having been fired one time, but most INGO folks will be upfront with you. If you do decide to buy new brass, be advised that it takes more effort to size. I'd advise to lubricate the cases even if you are using a carbide (recommended) sizing die.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've gotten 12+ loads on several of my brass. One batch of Geco 9mm brass not sure who makes it but it had 19 reloads on them before I started seeing the cases split. Now those are normal pressure 9mm rds not +p or +p+ reloads.

For fun and experimental purposes I reloaded aluminum cases they lasted 4 reloads before splitting.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

On Starline's website they say that the +P cases are the same as the standard. They say the only difference is the headstamp which is used to identify higher pressure +P from "standard loads". I have some new Starline 9mm brass that I'll probably never use. If you lived close to Louisville, I'd sell you some at the Starline going rate. I also have some 1x fired and 2x fired. I used to load using new brass for the accurized Beretta 92FS that I used in bullseye pistol matches. I used the new brass load for the slow fire portion of the match at 50 yards. I retired from competitive shooting many years ago. Now I just use 1x fired mixed brass that a buddy let me have since he doesn't reload 9mm. Of course that was before coronavirus.

Ghostface

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2017
    Grant Co
    Im really fojnd of the zero 147 jhp, I don't think it's a true jhp for self defense. They are very accurate but good luck finding them in this environment.

dennismassie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    West Lafayette
    I bought a box of 1000 Berry's plated .356 in 147 grains. Loaded them up with HS-6. My M&P 2.0 likes them, and they brought my POA up where I wanted - 115's and 124's print lower out of my gun.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I load 115 grain plated round nose bullets almost exclusively for my 9mm Glock 45 and M&P Shield. I practice just enough to maintain very basic proficiency and haven't tried many different loads.

SgtFury

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Memphis
    Lately have had good luck with 124 grain errs bullets, or casting my own 115 rn, then powder coating them, and sizing to .356

Top Bottom