What are the laws concerning if you can shoot outdoors.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pappyon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2020
    LOOK AT THE LAWS...BILL 11209 STATES IT. YOU CANNOT DISCHARGE EVEN A CROSSBOW WITHIN 300 FEET OF A BUILDING. iT IS A LAW.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    YOU ARE INCORRECT. hOUSE BILL 11209 STATES IT CLEARLY. nOT WITHIN 100 YARDS OF A BUILDING OR DWELLING WITHOUT PERMISSION OF ITS OWNER....
    A house bill is not law. It is a proposed law that needs to go through the process of being passed by the House and the Senate. So no. I am not incorrect. There is no LAW that says anything like that.

On top of that, there is no House Bill 11209 in Indiana. They are only four digits, and the highest number right now is 1456.

Maybe you would like to find an actual Bill Number to discuss, or even better an actual Indiana code.

pappyon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2020
    FYI here in internet land, all caps indicates yelling.

My Google search for H.B. 11209 didn't turn up anything. Do you have an actual link to the Bill?
    im looking but cant find it. This is what we were told when we got ran off from goose hunting by the county police. Im calling to get the scoop though. Since we were ran off i figured it was the law he cited. ill post what i am told when i get ahold of one of the enforcement officials though. good hunting.....

pappyon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2020
    I think that is for the state of Maine and I am a far cry from being a "newenglander"
    No person may hunt with a firearm within 450 feet of an occupied building, dwelling, house, residence or cabin, or any barn or other building used in connection with a farm operation, without obtaining the written permission of the owner, renter or occupant of the property. The safety zone applies to hunting only. i copied this from a page on the internet....asking if you can hunt near dwellings...searching for more.....

pappyon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2020

People also ask​

How close can you hunt to a house in Indiana?
    Discharging a firearm (including a bow and arrow) is prohibited in or within 150 yards of a developed recreation site, a residence, or any place where people are likely to be. Shooting across bodies of water is also prohibited

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    im looking but cant find it. This is what we were told when we got ran off from goose hunting by the county police. Im calling to get the scoop though. Since we were ran off i figured it was the law he cited. ill post what i am told when i get ahold of one of the enforcement officials though. good hunting.....
    There's your problem right there. Did he also tell you OC is illegal?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

People also ask​

How close can you hunt to a house in Indiana?
    Discharging a firearm (including a bow and arrow) is prohibited in or within 150 yards of a developed recreation site, a residence, or any place where people are likely to be. Shooting across bodies of water is also prohibited
    Google's little fact blurbs are a poor source of law.

That text is taken from the USDA's Forest Service page.

pappyon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2020
    It shall be unlawful for any person, within the limits of LaPorte County, to shoot or discharge any air gun, rifle, shotgun, revolver, pistol or any other firearm, within One Thousand (1,000) feet of a residential dwelling. from what i am gathering each county has its own set of rules. Of course St. Joe county being communist controls guns all they can. I would check with your county officials. I have cut and pasted these from the net.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    Sounds like the judge didn't want folks shooting within 300' of his house so he just made up a law for himse

Please tell me you didnt get a fine, etc? If so, hire a lawyer because you got railroaded.

IANAL but Im pretty sure you cant get in trouble for something that isnt yet illegal. E.g. if its illegal to drink beer on the sidewalk while wearing an ugly Christmas sweater starting 1/1/2021, you cant get in trouble for it today. (or vice versa, if said law expires 12/31/2020, you cant get in trouble for doing it after 1/1/2021)

And if he is gonna bust you on it, he had better be able to cite chapter and verse as to why you need your pee pee whacked. Pretty sure the prosecutor and judge reference those specifically during hearings.

But if he just rattled that off and "let you off with a stern warning" he was just covering for his LEO buddy's ineptitude and didnt want to make him look like an ass for dragging you into court for absolutely no reason.
    Nope, just two people talking about shooting. Kind of making fun of a neighbor that said she didn't to move into the city to get away from all the gunfire. Mention how local city didn't have an ordinance against discharging a firearm and that I hear more gun shots from that direction than out away from the city limits. He said it won't matter soon because of this new law about to pass.

Just irritated that I can't find anything on it, especially back when this conversation happened, and that laws pass and sometimes you don't find out what you are doing is illegal until after you're facing the music for breaking said law.

Plus there is a lot of stupid stuff that gets passed. Turns out my neighbor wanted to clear some land and build a house on property he just purchased. He was burning anything too small to sell, neighbors down wind were upset by the burning and reported it. The city came out saying that he needed a permit. He tries to get a permit. After reviewing the law turns out that:
    1. You cannot burn without a permit.
    2. A permit cannot be issued for anything other than commercial development.
    3. Technically a fire pit that you sit around is also not allowed and you cannot burn leaves either for a law that seemed its original intent was to ban burn barrels for trash.

So they couldn't issue him one, he is now looking at selling the property that he just purchased.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Nope, just two people talking about shooting. Kind of making fun of a neighbor that said she didn't to move into the city to get away from all the gunfire. Mention how local city didn't have an ordinance against discharging a firearm and that I hear more gun shots from that direction than out away from the city limits. He said it won't matter soon because of this new law about to pass.

Just irritated that I can't find anything on it, especially back when this conversation happened, and that laws pass and sometimes you don't find out what you are doing is illegal until after you're facing the music for breaking said law.

Plus there is a lot of stupid stuff that gets passed. Turns out my neighbor wanted to clear some land and build a house on property he just purchased. He was burning anything too small to sell, neighbors down wind were upset by the burning and reported it. The city came out saying that he needed a permit. He tries to get a permit. After reviewing the law turns out that:
    1. You cannot burn without a permit.
    2. A permit cannot be issued for anything other than commercial development.
    3. Technically a fire pit that you sit around is also not allowed and you cannot burn leaves either for a law that seemed its original intent was to ban burn barrels for trash.

So they couldn't issue him one, he is now looking at selling the property that he just purchased.
    You can't find anything because he was full of :poop:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It shall be unlawful for any person, within the limits of LaPorte County, to shoot or discharge any air gun, rifle, shotgun, revolver, pistol or any other firearm, within One Thousand (1,000) feet of a residential dwelling. from what i am gathering each county has its own set of rules. Of course St. Joe county being communist controls guns all they can. I would check with your county officials. I have cut and pasted these from the net.
    A county ordinance is far different than a state law. That is why we said check with your local law enforcement. Although sadly they will not always know the law either.

Top Bottom