• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    While shopping for bullets to reload 10mm I've been seeing some listings for zinc bullets. I've not known of anyone who has used these. I'm just looking for target rounds, was wondering if there are any limits on loading these like there are with plated bullets? Can you shoot them out of all barrels including Glock? Do they leave a lot of fouling, hard on barrels?
    They are pretty cheap, about $.10 per round.
    What else can you tell me abut them?

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    years ago I experimented with casting zink wheel weights . Yes... you can cast decent bullets with zink but there are drawbacks.
    To get the stuff to cast properly the heat must be wayyyyy up to around the 850-900 degree point. The Excess heat is detrimental to the equipment. The bullets are difficult to size in a conventional size-luber. The bullets weigh quite a bit less in zink. An H&G 68 200 gr mould drops around 150-160 gr with zink.Point of impact was different than lead because of the velocity. Velocity could be pushed wayyy up also. If you had a rough or already leaded bore the zink adhered and "leaded" the bore which was a nightmare to remove. If you shot a match tuned 1911 the weight/velocity of zink caused cycling problems. You can cast zink but it is not worth the effort.
    Just what I recall .

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Ever seen what a zinc wheel weight does to a pot of melted lead wheel weights? Its not pretty

No, what happens?

Pretty much
    It looks to have the consistency of cottage cheese when still liquid.
    We normally sort our WW's before smelting, but the time we didn't ... They will float on top just like the steel clips. Problem was, after loading the pot a few times it was supper time and instead of shutting the burner off we left it going. 10 mins later when we came back there was a blue film like oil on water in the pot and cottage cheese looking lead

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    All of the above problems.

When melting unknown lead I'm always watching temperature. Anything that looks odd or floats, comes out of the kettle quickly.

Top Bottom