• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Just bought a decent amount of land majority of it is heavily wooded.

Been looking at different axe brands.

What would you all recommend for a nice felling axe and a splitting maul? Possibly even a general use hatchet/axe. I’ve got a crkt Freyr axe and im not impressed with the quality AT ALL. I don’t mind buying once crying once if the axe is worth the coin. That being said do any of you have experience with a Gransfors Bruks??? They look amazing. Would like to stay around $500ish for both axes. For General use I’m not entirely convinced I need to ditch the Freyr. It does the job just not as elegant as I’d like...

prefer to avoid made in China.

Also, while we are at it. Are you sharpening with stone or belt sander?

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have an older Keen Kutter that I bought at an auction. I had to replaces the handle with a new ash one. I also have one of them new fangled Fiskars splitting ax. I sharpen both on my slack belt with an 80 grit ceramic belt then switch to a 120 grit.
    I split using a lumber grenade and a 12lb sledge hammer (bad shoulder or it would be bigger)

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    My fiskers is made in sweden i believe. Nice axe. Stihl also has their own axes and splitting mauls made in Germany

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Honestly, I would be looking at yard sales and auctions for older axes. The quality of steel and craftsmanship are much more desirable IMO. I would also stay away from polymer and fiberglass handles, wood handles can sanded to fit your hand, plus they can be replaced which is pretty important. Here is a great video of I believe the last hand forged axe maker in Maine showing the process of axe forging.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I want one of these. I've read they handle nicely.

I have one of these. I use it to help with felling and bucking firewood. It has a superb edge from the factory and handles really well.

Fast forward to 3:10 to see the Trail Boss in action.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I have an extensive collection of axes (over 50) and they range from expensive antiques to generics. I find that if you find one made in the USA, Germany or Norway you cant go wrong. BUT if you want to spend money Gransfors bruks are great axes (but not any better than the USA axes you can find in yard sales for much less).

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've had a husqvarna 26" axe since 2015 according to my amazon history and it's been a great axe. I have lusted over the gransfors bruks small forest before, but honestly don't feel the need to upgrade what I've got now.

Now that you're going to be wondering around on your own land frequently one thing I'd highly recommend is this: https://www.campcraftoutdoors.com/product-page/axe-saw-sling-bag

I use that axe sling along with one of these folding saws: https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/products/boreal-21-all-purpose-blade?variant=24819700417 That combination is so easy to throw over your shoulder and it's so light and handy. To this day I keep that combo under the backseat of my jeep and whenever there's an issue to fix with cutting wood I grab it and go.

Whatever axe you chose, you'd be glad you got the folding saw and sling combo to go with it. I absolutely love mine and used it again randomly just the other day.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Part two, I use a pulaski stone and a bastard file and a fine grade file (not in that order and not always together) to sharpen my axes you can even use different grits of sand paper on a block of wood, if I want to get my axe razor sharp (which most dont need to be ) I will strop it with polishing compound after using a stone.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Buddy of mine gave me an Adler camp axe for Christmas a couple of years ago...German company...very nice, just enough weight, carries well and get the job done. I seem to remember they have a large selections of sizes and weight

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    Estwing long handle campers axe.
    I borrowed one years ago and it seemed to go through just about anything. So my Wife got one for me for Christmas the following year. Its lightweight, durable and about $50 or so at the time.
    I’m sure there are tons of other, better axes, but for occasional use on my 9+ acres, this one is just right.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I am a true temper flint edge fan boy they can be had for cheap at flea markets. most need the edge touched up and a new handle. Old axes are way better than new store bought ones.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Might I ask exactly what you plan on doing with the axe? If you're dropping trees, I'd highly recommend a couple of good saws. Using an axe isn't worth the damage it will do to your shoulders. Even if you're splitting, I would plan on getting a used hydraulic splitter. I split with an axe and a maul exclusively for almost 30 years. Now I need my rotator cuff repaired. If you insist on splitting by hand, the fiskers splitting axe is hard to beat. I prefer the longer X27 because I don't put them up on a block. I haven't used their splitting maul because of the shoulder issues I mentioned, but it looks promising. I also like the Wilton BUT they need the edge sharpened (A LOT) when you get it. I use a Council boys ax in the woods for light limbing and driving wedges. I DO NOT like the Husqvarna ax.

Just my 2 bits.

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    Might I ask exactly what you plan on doing with the axe? If you're dropping trees, I'd highly recommend a couple of good saws. Using an axe isn't worth the damage it will do to your shoulders. Even if you're splitting, I would plan on getting a used hydraulic splitter. I split with an axe and a maul exclusively for almost 30 years. Now I need my rotator cuff repaired. If you insist on splitting by hand, the fiskers splitting axe is hard to beat. I prefer the longer X27 because I don't put them up on a block. I haven't used their splitting maul because of the shoulder issues I mentioned, but it looks promising. I also like the Wilton BUT they need the edge sharpened (A LOT) when you get it. I use a Council boys ax in the woods for light limbing and driving wedges. I DO NOT like the Husqvarna ax.

Just my 2 bits.
    I appreciate the words of wisdom! As I get a bit older the wear and tear factor becomes a larger consideration.
    ‘Work smarter, not harder’.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Thanks for the responses guys. I need to start going to some yard sales. My sons and I (including my father) plan on building a few small cabins. Mostly for my kids to play in and I’d like to try doing them with hand tools. I already have the chainsaws.

Top Bottom