• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    Ground beef, taco seasoning, red kidney beans, and western dressing. Brown the gb w/ seasoning add the beans and dressing cook another 5 min or so. Put it in a hard taco shell add shredded cheddar or crunch up the shell in bowl add lettuce and eat it like a salad.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I'm not a huge fan, but my wife and her mother will make a box of mac & cheese, after boiling and draining the macaroni, they will add the cheese powder, a can of cream of mushroom, a can or two of drained peas, and a can or two of drained tuna. No milk or butter like the box calls for.

It's kinda like a Tuna Helper, but different.

Me personally, a grape jelly sandwich (no PB) with a slice of cheese added to it is excellent.

And for the record, I love Taco Bell, but I hate how they get rid of certain menu items after you're hooked (like their bacon cheeseburger burrito from the 90s!). And I rarely, if ever, get bowel trouble from their food.

1gunaholic

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 10, 2021
    Central Indiana
    My bride makes an awesome mac and cheese with cheddar, parm, and American cheeses. Mixes it all up in a bowl then spreads it out on a metal cookie sheet and tosses it in the oven with a healthy (?) dose of parm on top until it gets a nice and brown crust on top. OMG!

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    In my family we called it seashells and grilled cheese. I believe they are sold as medium shells and then you add a can or two of cheap tomato sauce with grilled cheese on the side. To this day it is still a crazy cheap warm meal that I always enjoy.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Fried eggs and bologna with a drop or two of hot sauce and jellied toast

I cut a package of hot dogs down to bite sized. Brown them, then bring the eggs and cheese. Lotta variations from there, depending on mood.

No bread or jelly for me, so more room for the main dish.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Making a batch of what we call goulash, though I would share. This has been a staple in our family for years, it’s what dad makes, gets even better the next day, I like mine with some Tabasco.
    Pound of burger, pound of elbow macaroni and 4 cans of tomato soup. View attachment 177087 View attachment 177088 View attachment 177089
    We do this but with canned tomatoes or tomato juice. Just finished up a batch tonight. Ours usually has diced onions also.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    We sometimes do weenies and beans. Sliced up hot dogs or brats in a can of Bush's baked beans.

Birdseye makes something called Viola! in the frozen section. It has meat, veg, pasta, and sauce (for example chicken alfredo with vegetables, but there are others) and all you do is dump it in a pan and heat it up. It's really good. I keep several in the freezer.

I also keep frozen fish and shrimp on hand. I haven't been able to find it at Aldi lately, but I get the bags of breaded or battered filets of cod. They take about 20 min in the toaster oven. For sides, frozen vegetables and sometimes rice. Gordon's has some bags of seasoned rice mixes in the frozen section near the vegetables. Several different varieties but they are all good. I just toss some frozen mixed vegetables in with the rice mix when I cook it.

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Cheap and quick? **** on a shingle, aka chipped beef gravy on toast. Or eggs, sausage, and toast/pancakes. Would be bacon but cheap. My wife makes lasagna soup, chicken broth, ground Italian sausage, onions, and seasonings. Cook the sausage, drain the grease if needed, saute the onions and mix in the broth and seasonings, bring to a simmer. Serve it with a scoop of cottage or ricotta cheese some mozz, parm and croutons.

Cheap but not as quick, most things involving boneless skinless chicken breasts. I buy bone in on sale, bone them out myself, package them individually in cheap sandwich bags and a ziplock storage bag. Use the bones and skin to make stock. Ham and noodle casserole, left over diced ham, cooked egg noddles, onion, green pepper, and some tomato juice. Mix together and bake. Or ham and au gratin potatoes, diced leftover ham and as many boxes of au gratin potatoes as needed to feed everyone. Smoked sausage with onions and green peppers served with mashed potatoes.

And chicken and noodles, you can feed a bunch for little. But it ain't quick by any means when you make the noodles and broth from scratch.

We do this but with canned tomatoes or tomato juice. Just finished up a batch tonight. Ours usually has diced onions also.
    Sounds about how my mom used to make it. Hers sometimes included green pepper and topped with some sour cream.

Top Bottom