• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I didn't think city departments had any authority legally to declare gun free zones. They can kick you out, but their junction has no legal merit.
    Indiana's preemption statute has a few caveats, but this isn't one. A "political subdivision", oh heck here's a copy/paste/citation. That's easier.

IC 35-47-11 1-2

Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political subdivision may not regulate:

(1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;
    (2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;  and
    (3) commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition, and firearm accessories.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Indiana's preemption statute has a few caveats, but this isn't one. A "political subdivision", oh heck here's a copy/paste/citation. That's easier.

IC 35-47-11 1-2

Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political subdivision may not regulate:

(1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;
    (2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;  and
    (3) commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition, and firearm accessories.

Yep, when the Avon town park, and Washington township park put up signs, I sent emails back in like 2012 to the directors of both parks, and got it handled quite quickly, by quoting the IC and letting them know the potential liability that they were opening their respective departments, and the town, etc to if there was any attempt to enforce it. Town of Avon responded quickly, handled the signs very quickly. The parks director for Washington township was a little slower and tried to give me "think of the children" line but also took care of the signs after getting a nudge from the director from Avon.

I'd start with emails to the director of the parks department that handles the facility and escalate from there. Most of them want nothing to do with potential liability should some parks employee, or other town employee try to enforce the sign.

No lawyer needed. Now if they tried to enforce the sign on you, and you were going to file suit, then yes, lawyer needed.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Yep, when the Avon town park, and Washington township park put up signs, I sent emails back in like 2012 to the directors of both parks, and got it handled quite quickly, by quoting the IC and letting them know the potential liability that they were opening their respective departments, and the town, etc to if there was any attempt to enforce it. Town of Avon responded quickly, handled the signs very quickly. The parks director for Washington township was a little slower and tried to give me "think of the children" line but also took care of the signs after getting a nudge from the director from Avon.

I'd start with emails to the director of the parks department that handles the facility and escalate from there. Most of them want nothing to do with potential liability should some parks employee, or other town employee try to enforce the sign.

No lawyer needed. Now if they tried to enforce the sign on you, and you were going to file suit, then yes, lawyer needed.
    You did that! I remember seeing them and thinking about emailing them. A couple days later they were gone. I wondered if they got the hint on their own. :laugh: :lmfao: what was I thinking?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Could work. Mind you most WLAFians are relying on the fact that they live in WLAF to keep them safe.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Before I e-mail Eric, where exactly is this, cobber?
    This is the new Wellness Center in Cumberland Park, between Salisbury, Kalberer and Cumberland. The street address is 1101 Kalberer Rd.

Used to be soccer fields and a community garden, but now a monument to government, like the zeppelin field in Nuremberg...

https://www.westlafayette.in.gov/department/index.php?structureid=277 (includes a 'code of conduct' with no mention of weapons at all)

The sign was still up as of Saturday, AFAIK it's been there since the center opened.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've got no skin in this game...

But isn't there already legal precedent here in IN that as long as the political subdivision doesn't attempt any enforcement of it that there's nothing that will be done? And that just having the wording on the sign isn't against the IC?

Pretty sure there's an INGOer that was party to a lawsuit over something like this in NWI - and lost because the sign wording wasn't being enforced; it was just wording on an older sign.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

But isn't there already legal precedent here in IN that as long as the political subdivision doesn't attempt any enforcement of it that there's nothing that will be done? And that just having the wording on the sign isn't against the IC?

Pretty sure there's an INGOer that was party to a lawsuit over something like this in NWI - and lost because the sign wording wasn't being enforced; it was just wording on an older sign.

I recall that as well. The legal definition of "enforce" is very different than the dictionary definition, at least in NWI.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

That was my understanding from the time I reviewed it, and why I took the tact of potential liability if someone "tried" to enforce the signs, etc when it was an issue at our parks.

I believe there was an INGOer who won a lawsuit and received a settlement based on a circumstance where there was an enforcement attempt.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That was my understanding from the time I reviewed it, and why I took the tact of potential liability if someone "tried" to enforce the signs, etc when it was an issue at our parks.

I believe there was an INGOer who won a lawsuit and received a settlement based on a circumstance where there was an enforcement attempt.
    a city owned zoo

Top Bottom