• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Ranges, hotels and bathrooms are common Casual Gun Owner Residual Gun Pools for abandoned weapons. I Have recovered many over the years. Even rifles and Shotguns. Also Full Ammo Cans, eyes and ears etc. It kinda reminds me of moms forgetting their kid is locked in the hot car. Good gun handling needs to be taken seriously.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Welp, early mornings are not my friend. Woke up early for me, threw on my pants and headed out. Standing in line at the store, I realized I didn't put my gun in my holster again. I have two spare mags though..........

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Welp, early mornings are not my friend. Woke up early for me, threw on my pants and headed out. Standing in line at the store, I realized I didn't put my gun in my holster again. I have two spare mags though..........
    As much as it pains me I have done this lately. More than once.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    While I don't EDC, I do a slap check on my pockets for phone, wallet, keys, Leatherman. Do people also not do a quick slap (light tap with an open hand) for carrying?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    These were the same pants I wore yesterday. Everything was already in the pockets. But I took out my EDC and put it where it belongs, in my bedside safe.

I just didn't reverse the procedure.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This happened to me some years back.

In the years since then, I have developed an every time press check routine for when I handle a holster.

Whether it be yesterday's pants, belting an IWB holster for town clothes, or putting the pocket holster in for the G43, it doesn't matter.

Every time a holster is readied for carry, the gun gets press checked, pushed out a couple times to safe "targets" and the mag dropped/reinserted. This is an every time requirement for holstering any carry gun.

The routine not only makes any pants install incomplete without a press check. It adds a forced "dry fire" type gun handling familiarization at least once per day.

No more leaving the house with an empty holster...

Last edited:

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    My IWB holster comes and goes with its intended cargo. It has also gotten so comfortable that I barely notice it when it is properly situated.

Twice, so far, this year, my process was interrupted (by discussion or needing to remember to grab something near where my holster and gun live when they aren’t on me) and I didn’t realize that I didn’t have it until I was getting out of my car at my destination and checking my shirt over an empty spot in my belt. I’ve gone back to giving myself a tap-down and caught myself before what would have been the third time not too long ago.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I did it for the first time back in March. Got up, got ready for breakfast as normal and when I got there and sat down, I realized I had everything except my gun. I try hard to always practice my draw a couple of times when I put my gun on, to verify that it's there and to make sure the clothes I have on aren't restricting my draw. I've had to toss a couple of shirts because they were too tight for me to pull it up far enough to draw safely. I didn't take the time to do that and ended up with an empty holster... :facepalm:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    This is another reason I have a duplicate firearm in my GHB. I have on a few occasions been distracted or had my routine thrown off and forgotten the gun. I grab the spare and then worry that I no longer have a spare, but at least I have one for EDC.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This is another reason I have a duplicate firearm in my GHB. I have on a few occasions been distracted or had my routine thrown off and forgotten the gun. I grab the spare and then worry that I no longer have a spare, but at least I have one for EDC.
    A very smart idea! For more than the mentioned reason.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I started doing that in case the EDC was lost to me for some reason. It also works as a loaner in case of emergency. Then there is extra ammo with mags that are the same.

Have more duplicates at other places as well as at home. I don't want to have to think about how a certain pistol operates in a time of need. They are all the same. What little muscle memory I have doesn't have to be used for remembering which gun I have and how to run it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I started doing that in case the EDC was lost to me for some reason. It also works as a loaner in case of emergency. Then there is extra ammo with mags that are the same.

Have more duplicates at other places as well as at home. I don't want to have to think about how a certain pistol operates in a time of need. They are all the same. What little muscle memory I have doesn't have to be used for remembering which gun I have and how to run it.
    One is none... :yesway:

Top Bottom